The Student Room Group

Is this possible?

If you get your paper remarked what are the chances of getting an extra 5 marks?
Original post by sfaraj
If you get your paper remarked what are the chances of getting an extra 5 marks?

Depends which paper - if you are getting a subjective subject remarked such as English or History then there is a higher chance of that mark going up than if you were to have a subject that isn't subjective remarked such as Maths or Sciences where the mark schemes are very strict.
Original post by sammychu00
Depends which paper - if you are getting a subjective subject remarked such as English or History then there is a higher chance of that mark going up than if you were to have a subject that isn't subjective remarked such as Maths or Sciences where the mark schemes are very strict.

its biology so % chance would be?
Original post by sfaraj
its biology so % chance would be?

Not sure on percentage but if your close to the next highest grade boundaries and not near the next lowest grade boundaries, I would say to get it remarked because even if it goes down by a few marks then you'll still keep your current mark and if it goes up then you could get the next grade. It's better to have it remarked and know whether or not that made a difference than not having it remarked and wondering if it would have gone up.
Reply 4
it depends on whether you did core & additional, or core, additional & further additional. it also depends on whether you mean raw marks or UMS marks.

i assume you did a separate biology gcse, as you specifically care about your biology grade. if this is the case you did three exams and one controlled assessment for biology - four things being remarked gives you a higher chance of gaining five extra marks.

if you didn't do a separate biology gcse and you did a core and additional gcse, you'll only have two biology papers to remark, so there's less of a chance. i don't know how the controlled assessments work for this because i did a separate biology gcse, but i assume your controlled assessments would be for overall core and overall additional rather than any being specifically biology.
if you did a core and additional gcse, the best case scenario would just be to get everything remarked, or at least everything that's only a few marks away from the next grade boundary.

i've been marked up 2 or 3 marks (i don't remember which, sorry) before to get a higher grade, so i imagine 5 is possible!
Possibly not that high as Biology isn't really that subjective so there would have to be clear marking errors...if you're 5 below the next grade up you must be reasonably close to the grade below as well??? so unless it's a course you need for college/6th form I wouldn't get it remarked as it's unlikely to go up by that much and could possibly go down too

Quick Reply

Latest