The Student Room Group

Want to to get 4 remarks

is it worth getting a remark if i'm 1 & 3 mark away?

Scroll to see replies

Yh i had 5 paper where i was 1/2 marks off the next grade :tongue:
I'm gonna do it.
yes its a high chance you will achieve the next grade

do you think i can get marked up by 5?
Original post by saraxh

Hey Sarah.

It's my understanding that you've written a thread about this already. It's better to create one thread instead of two as it means other people may not get answers. There were answers on your other thread but as I said before, this really is down to whether or not you want to take the risk of your marks possibly going down. Perhaps request the scripts back first.

Ethan
Original post by sfaraj

Yes it's possible. This
Original post by iEthan
Hey Sarah.

It's my understanding that you've written a thread about this already. It's better to create one thread instead of two as it means other people may not get answers. There were answers on your other thread but as I said before, this really is down to whether or not you want to take the risk of your marks possibly going down. Perhaps request the scripts back first.

Ethan

Ah sorry and thank you :smile:
Original post by saraxh
Yes it's possible. This

what paper are you getting remarked?

im getting biology so apparently its harder
Depends on the subject(s), how much money you have and whether you think the grade increase is worth it.

I could have remarked a Further Maths GCSE paper last year as I was 2 marks off an A^ (A* distinction) but I decided against it as the extra grade wasn't particularly important.
Original post by sfaraj
what paper are you getting remarked?

im getting biology so apparently its harder

English Language (2 exams)
RS
Geography
Original post by saraxh
English Language (2 exams)
RS
Geography

oh im sure you'd get the next grade for those! i guess its easier to achieve more marks as lang rs and geog are a lot of option based etc

all the best good luck!
Original post by sfaraj

Based on what evidence?
I also advise checking how close you are to dropping a grade. Some exams are punishing and there might only be 6 marks between an A and a B. Please use the links below to check your corresponding UMS with grade boundaries:

http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/results-days/grade-boundaries-and-ums/ums-converter
http://store.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pdf/UMS-GRADE-BOUNDARIES.PDF

http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/Support/Grade-boundaries/GCSE/1606-GCSE-Grade-Boundaries-Template-Final.pdf

EDIT: Note that the AQA links also show A Level boundaries so make sure you check you've got the right exam.
Original post by saraxh

Its a simple weighing up the cost v chance of change.

Cost side you know how much money you have to spare.

They have changed the rules.
Chance of change side is that they will only award extra marks if someone has made an error. Mistake in adding up or one of the examiners has really messed up. This is a much lower chance than previously where just a difference in opinion was ok.

Up to you to decide if its worth the £.
Original post by 999tigger
Its a simple weighing up the cost v chance of change.

Cost side you know how much money you have to spare.

They have changed the rules.
Chance of change side is that they will only award extra marks if someone has made an error. Mistake in adding up or one of the examiners has really messed up. This is a much lower chance than previously where just a difference in opinion was ok.

Up to you to decide if its worth the £.

Thanks I think i'm going to get a remark.
Reply 14
NO
Original post by BasicMistake
I also advise checking how close you are to dropping a grade. Some exams are punishing and there might only be 6 marks between an A and a B. Please use the links below to check your corresponding UMS with grade boundaries:

http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/results-days/grade-boundaries-and-ums/ums-converter
http://store.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pdf/UMS-GRADE-BOUNDARIES.PDF

http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/Support/Grade-boundaries/GCSE/1606-GCSE-Grade-Boundaries-Template-Final.pdf

EDIT: Note that the AQA links also show A Level boundaries so make sure you check you've got the right exam.

Hi. I'm six marks off the next boundary. I can afford to lose five marks only, or my grade will change. Should I get a remark?
Original post by thepewds_
Hi. I'm six marks off the next boundary. I can afford to lose five marks only, or my grade will change. Should I get a remark?

What subject is this?

I think the answer would be 'no' in general. Being in the middle of a grade means that it will be unlikely that your grade will change and if it's an essay-based subject, your mark could very easily go down. If the subject is maths, then I advise that you apply to get a photocopy of the exam script(s) you want remarking.
It is Psychology. If I get a photocopy, it wouldn't have any markings on it, would it? So how would I know whether there's been any mistakes?
What subject is this?

I think the answer would be 'no' in general. Being in the middle of a grade means that it will be unlikely that your grade will change and if it's an essay-based subject, your mark could very easily go down. If the subject is maths, then I advise that you apply to get a photocopy of the exam script(s) you want remarking.
Original post by thepewds_
It is Psychology. If I get a photocopy, it wouldn't have any markings on it, would it? So how would I know whether there's been any mistakes?

It should have a cover page with the marks for each question you did. There will also be brief comments on the questions themselves, especially where you lost marks. It's a good way of evaluating whether you want a remark. If you feel that it's been marked harshly then apply for a remark.

One word of warning, don't let denial and false hope cloud your judgement. It's not you who will be marking your script but a bored examiner. If you're not sure whether a question is deserving of extra marks, assume it doesn't. However, if you got 0 out of 7 but you feel that some of the stuff you wrote was relevant and ought to get credit then you can guess you are owed a couple of marks.

Also remember to consider the exam as a whole. You might get 3 extra marks for one question but you may lose those 3 marks elsewhere.
It should have a cover page with the marks for each question you did. There will also be brief comments on the questions themselves, especially where you lost marks. It's a good way of evaluating whether you want a remark. If you feel that it's been marked harshly then apply for a remark.

One word of warning, don't let denial and false hope cloud your judgement. It's not you who will be marking your script but a bored examiner. If you're not sure whether a question is deserving of extra marks, assume it doesn't. However, if you got 0 out of 7 but you feel that some of the stuff you wrote was relevant and ought to get credit then you can guess you are owed a couple of marks.

Also remember to consider the exam as a whole. You might get 3 extra marks for one question but you may lose those 3 marks elsewhere.

Thanks. That's really helpful :smile:

Quick Reply