The Student Room Group

If I get a B at AS, can I get an A* at A2?

So i paid for a check of my law exam and my teacher said it got marked harsh and said it may not go up though, I'm not really sure i want to be wasting £40 on a remark and if i don't do this I'm not sure whether i should resit this.

In my AS Law i got 151/200 UMS which is a relatively high B. Can i still get an A* next year and has anyone ever done such a transition?

Scroll to see replies

yes, but you need 90% average in A2
Reply 2
Resit some modules.
Reply 3
Original post by OrdinaryStudent
yes, but you need 90% average in A2

Thank you!! :biggrin:
You need a C or above at AS then 90% UMS at A2 in order to get an A*.

So at the very extreme, you could have got a C in AS and still get an A* overall as long as you get that 90% UMS.
Original post by BR1999
So i paid for a check of my law exam and my teacher said it got marked harsh and said it may not go up though, I'm not really sure i want to be wasting £40 on a remark and if i don't do this I'm not sure whether i should resit this.

In my AS Law i got 151/200 UMS which is a relatively high B. Can i still get an A* next year and has anyone ever done such a transition?

Mathematically, yes.
Probably no.

Only around 17% achieve one grade higher at A2, 52% stay the same, and around 13% drop a grade. The other 18% is for other grade transitions.
Reply 6
Original post by computationchive
You need a C or above at AS then 90% UMS at A2 in order to get an A*.

So at the very extreme, you could have got a C in AS and still get an A* overall as long as you get that 90% UMS.

Thank you, very helpful information 😊
Reply 7
Original post by Mimir
Resit some modules.

Re-sitting some units would not increase. the chances of getting an A* at all (just an A)
Reply 8
Original post by Compost
Re-sitting some units would not increase. the chances of getting an A* at all (just an A)

Well, I've said my bit. Good luck, did mine years ago :smile:
Reply 9
Basic model for A* is 80 UMS at AS and 90 at A2, if you get 70 at AS I think you can make up for it by getting 100 at A2 but don't quote me on that. I know A2 must be 90
Reply 10
Original post by zayn008
Basic model for A* is 80 UMS at AS and 90 at A2, if you get 70 at AS I think you can make up for it by getting 100 at A2 but don't quote me on that. I know A2 must be 90

All you need is over 80% overall and over 90% at A2. Getting 70% for AS and 90% for A2 is an A*, you don't need 100%.
Original post by BR1999

Don't resit any modules. For an A* you need to average 80% across AS and A2 units + average 90% across A2 units. So if you got 70% in AS (Lowest B possible) and 90% in A2 (lowest A* possible) you'd still get an A*.
Reply 12
Original post by zayn008

This is wrong
My older sister got an High C for Geography and got an A* overall. Just do really well for your A2 and hopefully everything will work out fine.
Reply 14
Original post by BioStudentx
Don't resit any modules. For an A* you need to average 80% across AS and A2 units + average 90% across A2 units. So if you got 70% in AS (Lowest B possible) and 90% in A2 (lowest A* possible) you'd still get an A*.

Thank you for the information, it just gives me more motvation to do better next year :smile:
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Mathematically, yes.
Probably no.

Only around 17% achieve one grade higher at A2, 52% stay the same, and around 13% drop a grade. The other 18% is for other grade transitions.

I managed to get turn a b which was just a b meaning one mark lower would have meant i would get a c. But got an A* with no resits in A2
Reply 16
Original post by CAPTAINSHAZAM
I managed to get turn a b which was just a b meaning one mark lower would have meant i would get a c. But got an A* with no resits in A2

Wow well done!!!! What subject was it in. :biggrin:
Original post by CAPTAINSHAZAM

Nice. But we both know that going from C to A* in general, is extremely rare.
Lowest you can get at AS to still get a an A* in A2 is a C (60%).
You need 80% average overall and AT LEAST 90% in A2 modules to get an A*.
So 60% at AS and 100% at A2 gives 80% overall.
Original post by BR1999
Wow well done!!!! What subject was it in. :biggrin:

Sociology

Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Nice. But we both know that going from C to A* in general, is extremely rare.

It is but isnt impossible as long as you put the work in

Quick Reply

Latest