The Student Room Group

Personal Statement help- Stuck on how to write about joint honours.

So I've decided that I'm going to apply for English at university, I've looked around at what unis I can apply for and I'll be applying for English and French for my aspirational university. I've been talking about why I want to do English at uni and I've mentioned that I've read French literature and been to France.

Should I mention anything else and is there anything I should avoid doing completely?
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
So I've decided that I'm going to apply for English at university, I've looked around at what unis I can apply for and I'll be applying for English and French for my aspirational university. I've been talking about why I want to do English at uni and I've mentioned that I've read French literature and been to France.

Should I mention anything else and is there anything I should avoid doing completely?

So you're going for 4 english choices and 1 english and french? Why not 5 english and french instead?
Original post by claireestelle
So you're going for 4 english choices and 1 english and french? Why not 5 english and french instead?

Mainly because the other unis I've looked at don't offer French from scratch. They require an A level in French.

The other choice is English and American Studies but that doesn't appeal to me too much.
(edited 7 years ago)
Mainly because the other unis I've looked at don't offer French from scratch. They require an A level in French.

Ah that's understandable, try and keep the focus more on english but discussing french literature seems like a good idea for that side of it :smile:
Ah that's understandable, try and keep the focus more on english but discussing french literature seems like a good idea for that side of it :smile:

My situation is a little bit confusing. I'm doing 2 A2s and 1 AS next month (I've already got my A2 in English and I got a B in that) and hopefully I'll do AS French since I did it at GCSE.

I've mentioned French Lit but I shouldn't be too heavy because I'll be applying for English at the other unis right?
My situation is a little bit confusing. I'm doing 2 A2s and 1 AS next month (I've already got my A2 in English and I got a B in that) and hopefully I'll do AS French since I did it at GCSE.

I've mentioned French Lit but I shouldn't be too heavy because I'll be applying for English at the other unis right?

Yes exactly:smile: Ah I see, having the english grade already could play in your favour actually :smile:
Yes exactly:smile: Ah I see, having the english grade already could play in your favour actually :smile:

How could it? I'm curious :tongue:
How could it? I'm curious :tongue:

Well it's not a predicted grade so you've already proven that you're good at english so they could look more favourably at your application.
Well it's not a predicted grade so you've already proven that you're good at english so they could look more favourably at your application.

The uni I wanted to go to wanted an A in English but I didn't get that. So I have to go for my backup aspirational uni.

Should I apply for the uni that wanted an A or nah?
(edited 7 years ago)
The uni I wanted to go to wanted an A in English but I didn't get that. So I have to go for my backup aspirational uni.

Should I apply for the uni that wanted an A or nah?

Ah I see.I would say nah i m afraid.
Ah I see.I would say nah i m afraid.

I thought so.. I made another thread because I'm currently torn between English and Anthro (can you please take a look? I'm rooting towards English atm)

Quick Reply

Latest