The Student Room Group

Feeling gutted about my gcses :(

Scroll to see replies

Why should you feel gutted? I got 5Cs, 3Bs and 1A the grade you have would literally be goals for me

Average students should feel gutted because of people like you getting salty over those grade while average students would want those grade so badly and feel overwhelmed

Anyways congrats if I had those grade I would be over the moon
Original post by manlike99
No. I know for a fact for these unis mentioned that GCSEs are not at all even looked at further apart from meeting the minimum. And there's an awful lot of them. Yes me and OP wouldn't be competitive for Camb/Oxford/Edinburgh/HYMS/KCL/UEA/Cardiff/Lecister/Notts/Birmingham due to our GCSEs. But the ones I have mentioned have explicitly stated both on their websites, in their email replies to me and on open day that once the minimum requirements are met they don't look at GCSEs further. And I have mentioned quite a few. Thanks for the good luck wish.
I'm sceptical since you'll still be up against straight A* candidates, but by all means let me know if you do succeed, it'd be a good achievement if you do! :smile:
Original post by JRKinder
I'm sceptical since you'll still be up against straight A* candidates, but by all means let me know if you do succeed, it'd be a good achievement if you do! :smile:

Trust me I've looked into this a lot, if it was a risk I wouldn't be applying, and thank you I shall do mate :smile:
Reply 83
You're right, you probably won't get into medicine.

Not because of your grades, but because of your character. This post either tells us that you are the cockiest person alive, and therefore would be unsuitable when it comes to serving others. Or that you are a defeatist, in which case, you won't have the grit to stick it out. Either way, you have to change your outlook on life, because a bit of humility and courage can go a long way.

I hope intelligence like this isn't wasted on someone who can't value or use it. GCSEs mean nothing in the end, you could literally fail every single one and still get into college. A-Level and Uni is where it counts.
Omg....mine are getting sent in the post and I'm expecting them tomorrow, I want to be a barrister and I've taken my GCSES a year early and if I got 7As and 2Bs I think I'd put an ad in the sun paper I'd be that proud.
If those GCSE grades are what you need to get you into your college course or a levels then that's what's important Universitys are more interested in the most frequent exam and at the time it won't be your GCSEs. As long as you tried your best and did everything you could then you should be proud!! Well done you I think you did fantastic

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 9091student
I got 7As and 2Bs i know it's not that terrible, please inflate my ego and tell me what a cleverclogs i am

Fixed it for you.
Original post by Kyle1198
Fixed it for you.

You don't understand, her grades actually arent that good when applying for medicine. Most applicats will have 6+A*s.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MPH125
You're right, you probably won't get into medicine.

Not because of your grades, but because of your character. This post either tells us that you are the cockiest person alive, and therefore would be unsuitable when it comes to serving others. Or that you are a defeatist, in which case, you won't have the grit to stick it out. Either way, you have to change your outlook on life, because a bit of humility and courage can go a long way.

I hope intelligence like this isn't wasted on someone who can't value or use it. GCSEs mean nothing in the end, you could literally fail every single one and still get into college. A-Level and Uni is where it counts.

These grades might be fantastic to you. But you have to respect the fact that the OP wants to apply to medicine, a course where applicants usually have 6+A*s.

If she feels upset she has not realised her goals, it is her prerogative. Everyone has different expectations.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MoshBosh
You don't understand, her grades actually arent that good when applying for medicine. Most applicats will have 6+A*s.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well OP, if it makes you feel better, my cousin got 1A* 10A 1B (which is much less than 6A*) and got into Liverpool to study medicine. The uni's prestige doesn't matter that much for medicine/teaching etc so you can still be a doctor.
Reply 89
These grades might be fantastic to you. But you have to respect the fact that the OP wants to apply to medicine, a course where applicants usually have 6+A*s.

If she feels upset she has not realised her goals, it is her prerogative. Everyone has different expectations.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But they are GCSEs, they mean nothing in the grand scheme of education. Sure, if she had underachieved in A-Levels, then my heart would go out to her, but as it stands, this is fretting for nothing. If you have the aptitude and the willingness, you can always find a way to make it work, even if that means travelling to a different uni than planned, or just working extra hard when it comes to the A-Levels. Its really not that big of a deal.
Original post by MPH125
But they are GCSEs, they mean nothing in the grand scheme of education. Sure, if she had underachieved in A-Levels, then my heart would go out to her, but as it stands, this is fretting for nothing. If you have the aptitude and the willingness, you can always find a way to make it work, even if that means travelling to a different uni than planned, or just working extra hard when it comes to the A-Levels. Its really not that big of a deal.

This is very true. GCSEs are not a good indicator of how clever you are. However, with thousands of medical students the universities do have to look back at GCSEs in order to distinguish between students.

This is not necessarily fair, but especially as AS levels are being removed it is has to be done.

Thankfully, her gcse grades are good enough to apply to nearly every other course in the country.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 91
Original post by 9091student
i appreciate your optimism and kindness but i've screwed up everything up

Mate, I've failed maths twice and only have 2 GCSEs and that's bad. I'm actually not joking but I've been thinking if I should sell drugs with my friends cause of this. But I'm sitting here calm as hell watching my happiness and life shatter to bits cause of my results.

Now you're sitting here with 7As and few B's, what the heck is wrong with you. Let me steal ur identity or something. This is coming from a dumbass like me, you can do so much with your grades. People would slaughter to get those grades.
Omg, I got exactly the same results as you and I wanted to study medicine at UCL so I know exactly how you're feeling! I was happy with my results at first but then gutted when I was told that I probably wouldn't get into the uni course that I want! But I'm hoping that it's still possible if we work really hard for the next 2 years and do well in interviews etc. Good luck!!
Hello again! I saw that you said that unis look into GCSE's to difference students. THATS A LIE, thats what the UKCAT and the BMAT are for so do not worry and your results are great anyway!. Ive only seen one uni that requires certain gcse grades and theyve taken it down anyway for next year.
This is very true. GCSEs are not a good indicator of how clever you are. However, with thousands of medical students the universities do have to look back at GCSEs in order to distinguish between students.

This is not necessarily fair, but especially as AS levels are being removed it is has to be done.

Thankfully, her gcse grades are good enough to apply to nearly every other course in the country.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've so far received 3 interviews and I have basically the same grades as this person. Wanna take back what you said? :wink: Also you @JRKinder I remember you saying I won't get any and to tell you both when I do so yeah :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest