The Student Room Group

University of Cambridge Freshers Megathread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by C0balt
I'm trying not to think about Saturday lectures and currently enjoying Saturday mornings in bed whilst it lasts 😀

I would be doing the same if I didn't have to work! 🙄 If you're from around London then check out the link in my last post! Otherwise I'm sure I'll meet you during freshers! :smile:
Original post by RyanW97
I would be doing the same if I didn't have to work! 🙄 If you're from around London then check out the link in my last post! Otherwise I'm sure I'll meet you during freshers! :smile:

I'm not from London but yeah see you around :smile:
If I bump into a trinity engineer called Ryan I'll say hi :tongue:
Original post by Axiomara
Wait if you are a noob and you want to try out rowing do you have to start at 5 am. Or can you try it out a couple times at a humane hour.

They usually have a few trials for freshers during the freshers week in more humane hours on weekend,

But regular outing (excising on the river) on week day, they have to do,it in the early morning as the river has to be available for other users (not rowers) of the river.
They do outing in civilised hours on weekend, too, but you can't just join them randomly for,a few sessions as the position of each rower is very important and once they settled in the good combination, they'd stick to it for a long time and practice like that to improve. you just can't pop a new one in for one session and change it around frequently.
If you want to try out,,I suggest you go to their introductory session in freshers week.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by vincrows
They usually have a few trials for freshers during the freshers week in more humane hours on weekend,

But regular outing (excising on the river) on week day, they have to do,it in the early morning as the river has to be available for other users (not rowers) of the river.

THANK you vincrows!
THANK you vincrows!

You're welcome.
Hope you'll try at least. ......and hang on until the first bump at least! :smile:

Seen my edits btw?
You're welcome.
Hope you'll try at least. ......and hang on until the first bump at least! :smile:

Seen my edits btw?

yes i did! i will try. i am a very lazy person so i feel like if i can manage to wake up at 5 am and row, i can probably convince myself to do anything else
Hey guys! I've always wanted to go to Cambridge to study maths and today I received my GCSEs.

I got 2A* 6As 1B and a C

However, I got 7A*s and 3Bs for my mocks and of course these results came as a shock to myself and my teachers.

I looked on the unofficial mark scheme for maths (which everyone said in my school was super accurate and they got the same marks as they predicted after seeing the unofficial mark scheme) and I hit around the A* boundary which was 170/200 and apparently I got 152(my teacher said that). However, I definitely think I can go up by at least 15 marks but is it possible that they could be soo off from the boundary?
Im also buying some of the copies for some unit papers because all of my grades were off tbh. I think I did much better but I don't know whether it's likely for examiners to mark so wrongly in more than 8 papers!
I don't know what to do because it costs so much money but I think it's my only option.
I hope after the remark I get 5A*s 2As and 2Bs! Would either of these results be good for Cambridge?
I really need advice because this is honestly my dream uni and I just don't know what happened! :frown: please help someone. I know this is a freshers thread but ur all going to Cambridge so should have an understanding. Lol sorry if it's long!

Posted from TSR Mobile
are there societies in cambridge that are not related to a certain activity (aka fraternity/sorority-ish)?
is there initiation and hazing and that kind of stuff?

Traditionally you join the KGB/MI5.
yes i did! i will try. i am a very lazy person so i feel like if i can manage to wake up at 5 am and row, i can probably convince myself to do anything else

Good luck!
And persevere until the first bump.....then you'll be hooked.
Many rowers get friends of their lifetime in their rowing club. :smile:
Good luck!
And persevere until the first bump.....then you'll be hooked.
Many rowers get friends of their lifetime in their rowing club. :smile:

Cool, thank you!
Original post by Protoxylic
Trust me, I'm not really the guy to ask. I went rowing for a term and a bit. For a cox I guess if you're just starting out, please be loud and also keep an eye on your rowers. Your rowers will generally give you feedback. Yeah coxes generally need to be light as they're at the front of the boat. Nope, if you're starting out on W3/M3, coxes tend to be new to the sport as are a few of the rowers starting out in the 3rd div. Rowers starting out on the 2nd/1st div are those who have quite a bit of experience.

In last May bumps, a cox for M4 of my daughter's (old) college had an exam (or something) at the time of the race, so one of the rowers from M2 subbed for them. He's the biggest guy the club had, with well over 6ft and large built, with thick hair and large beard, shouting at rather delicately built, mainly first years.
Quite interesting to watch them rowing past. Looked so wrong...........

Yeah that seems like a good idea, idk, I just hate being tired, I need to concentrate otherwise the day just goes to **** lol.

Or row just for fun as a beer (or rugby, if you play) boat, if you managed to get 7 other guys interested. :wink:
Cool, thank you!

And no initiation involved. :wink:
Original post by DamnDaniel2
Hey guys! I've always wanted to go to Cambridge to study maths and today I received my GCSEs.

I got 2A* 6As 1B and a C

However, I got 7A*s and 3Bs for my mocks and of course these results came as a shock to myself and my teachers.

I looked on the unofficial mark scheme for maths (which everyone said in my school was super accurate and they got the same marks as they predicted after seeing the unofficial mark scheme) and I hit around the A* boundary which was 170/200 and apparently I got 152(my teacher said that). However, I definitely think I can go up by at least 15 marks but is it possible that they could be soo off from the boundary?
Im also buying some of the copies for some unit papers because all of my grades were off tbh. I think I did much better but I don't know whether it's likely for examiners to mark so wrongly in more than 8 papers!
I don't know what to do because it costs so much money but I think it's my only option.
I hope after the remark I get 5A*s 2As and 2Bs! Would either of these results be good for Cambridge?
I really need advice because this is honestly my dream uni and I just don't know what happened! :frown: please help someone. I know this is a freshers thread but ur all going to Cambridge so should have an understanding. Lol sorry if it's long!

Posted from TSR Mobile

How good are the results from your school?
Original post by Zacken
How good are the results from your school?

These were the third best I think? 40% pass rate, come from a really bad area (2-3 murders happened in a matter of a couple months). If my grade goes up then these would be the second best.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 494
I'm Trinity Maths too (For that person I'm not bothered to go back and tag)
How many hours should I try to put in every week for my course (incl. lectures/supervisions)
Are there rugby teams for each college or for the university as a whole and does anyone know how frequent training is?
Also how often is rowing on each week?
These were the third best I think? 40% pass rate, come from a really bad area (2-3 murders happened in a matter of a couple months). If my grade goes up then these would be the second best.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Then your current grades are fine for applying, as would your remarked grades. You just need to focus on acing your maths AS levels now. We've got someone from a bad neighbourhood here with not just one, but two offers from Cambridge with something like 2 A*'s, 1/2 A's and B's and C's.
Original post by Zacken
Then your current grades are fine for applying, as would your remarked grades. You just need to focus on acing your maths AS levels now. We've got someone from a bad neighbourhood here with not just one, but two offers from Cambridge with something like 2 A*'s, 1/2 A's and B's and C's.

Oh thanks for replying! I couldn't stop crying the whole day ahaha.
Yh im planning on doing really well for my A Levels and not become complacent. It's my last chance. How would Cambridge know that I got (lets just be safe and say) the top 5 best grades?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh thanks for replying! I couldn't stop crying the whole day ahaha.
Yh im planning on doing really well for my A Levels and not become complacent. It's my last chance. How would Cambridge know that I got (lets just be safe and say) the top 5 best grades?

Posted from TSR Mobile

1. They know that your school doesn't perform very well and it's in a bad place. It'll be taken into consideration .

2. Make sure your teacher explicitly says it in your reference. **** top 5 and just make your teacher put "top in year" if you can.
Original post by KingRS
I'm Trinity Maths too (For that person I'm not bothered to go back and tag)
How many hours should I try to put in every week for my course (incl. lectures/supervisions)
Are there rugby teams for each college or for the university as a whole and does anyone know how frequent training is?
Also how often is rowing on each week?

Afaik every college (except a few of female colleges) have their own rugby team.
Not too sure how often they practice.
I think there's an audition/trial to join the university's team, but to be frank, inter-college sports is a bigger thing at Cambridge than university vs other unis.

For rowing, the first boat in general train 5 times a week at least (either in a gym in their boat house or on the river in their boat), at least one of them on a weekend. For lower boats they usually train less times, like 3 times a week or so.
But this is 'in general' and can vary from college to college, which boat you're in and sometimes other factors, like if they have a race coming soon or not.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Zacken
1. They know that your school doesn't perform very well and it's in a bad place. It'll be taken into consideration .

2. Make sure your teacher explicitly says it in your reference. **** top 5 and just make your teacher put "top in year" if you can.

Ok and my last teacher left without making a reference so I don't really have one? How do I get a teacher to make me a reference?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending