The Student Room Group

Can I still do medicine?

I've received my GCSE grades today and got all A's. Many of my subjects were very close to A*'s but just not quite. Is medicine still a viable root at A-level and would any universities accept those grades for medicine?
No reason why you shouldn't apply, but without any A*s you should definitely not apply to GCSE heavy universities. Remember that your competition will most likely have a string of A*s, so perhaps you should consider a different course :smile:
Yes of course. They are above average for medicine. Just make sure the rest of your application is up to a solid/excellent standard.
Original post by Randall13
Yes of course. They are above average for medicine. Just make sure the rest of your application is up to a solid/excellent standard.

They are not above average for medicine... According to the Russel group, the average medical applicant has 6A*s.
Reply 4
Original post by MoshBosh
They are not above average for medicine... According to the Russel group, the average medical applicant has 6A*s.

not really interested in russell group unis as for medicine there isn't a lot of difference really.
Original post by Flyer24
not really interested in russell group unis as for medicine there isn't a lot of difference really.

Yh thats fine, but the only official figure on medical school applications is from the Russell group. It will most likely be the same in every other uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Yh thats fine, but the only official figure on medical school applications is from the Russell group. It will most likely be the same in every other uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile

it's difficult to call really, the minimum requirements for most are just regular b's but obvs i know that applications are far higher. I feel like places such as Edinburgh, imperial, manchester etc. may still be possible as there less GCSE heavy
Original post by Flyer24
it's difficult to call really, the minimum requirements for most are just regular b's but obvs i know that applications are far higher. I feel like places such as Edinburgh, imperial, manchester etc. may still be possible as there less GCSE heavy

Edinburgh and Imperial are notoriously difficult to get into, as they are both in capital cities and have very stringent applicant procedures.

If you are adamant to apply to medicine, there is still a *small* possibility you can get in:
1) Have a very very high UKCAT score.
2) Demonstrate you want to do medicine, e.g. volunteering, working at a hospice etc.
3) Have amazing A-Level predictions and results, so even if you don't get in the first time, you can apply again.

IF and its a big if, you do this all successfully, you may have a chance.
Original post by Flyer24
I've received my GCSE grades today and got all A's. Many of my subjects were very close to A*'s but just not quite. Is medicine still a viable root at A-level and would any universities accept those grades for medicine?

Don't listen to that guy, you still have a great chance of getting in to Medicine. Just don't apply to the ones which distinguish A*s and A on a point system such as Leicester. Most unis honestly don't care about GCSEs anyway, the most important thing is the interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Edinburgh and Imperial are notoriously difficult to get into, as they are both in capital cities and have very stringent applicant procedures.

If you are adamant to apply to medicine, there is still a *small* possibility you can get in:
1) Have a very very high UKCAT score.
2) Demonstrate you want to do medicine, e.g. volunteering, working at a hospice etc.
3) Have amazing A-Level predictions and results, so even if you don't get in the first time, you can apply again.

IF and its a big if, you do this all successfully, you may have a chance.

Thanks, I feel like I can do it. I have already done a fair amount of volunteering and will continue to work in hospitals and with charities to boost that side. I've seen some threads with people who have gotten worse than me and still made it into plymouth, exeter and KCL by putting in hard work at A-level so i suppose it is possible
Reply 10
Original post by Jaska
Don't listen to that guy, you still have a great chance of getting in to Medicine. Just don't apply to the ones which distinguish A*s and A on a point system such as Leicester. Most unis honestly don't care about GCSEs anyway, the most important thing is the interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the reply, i'm sure he's just trying to make sure I'm committed to medicine :tongue: i'm looking to smash a-levels and hopefully do well on my UKCAT
Reply 11
Original post by Flyer24

Not really for Edinburgh, if you want to stand a chance anyway. Official figures are
"The average A level applicant is offering 6A* at GCSE and the top one third (around 350) between 8 and 11 A*."
There's no reason why you can't get into medicine without any A*'s! The most important thing for you to focus on now is getting at least AAA at A level, because you do need 3 A's to get in.

Yes, you want to probably avoid applying to medical schools like Cardiff that rely heavily on GCSE. But there are only a few that are GCSE-heaving. You have plenty of options, and you can only apply to four med schools.

Quick Reply