The Student Room Group

Spanish coursework pieces brought down 2 grades each?

So today I received my GCSE results and I got 4a* 5a and 2bs, which i was really happy with. I got a B in spanish when all my reports had told me i was on an A1 (meaning that my teacher thought that i was at a high A and may tip into A*). I got a B, I thought that this was because i messed up one of the exams but it turns out that it was actually because both of my pieces of course work were brought down by 2 grades each (writing from an a* to a B and speaking from a A to a C). This does feel slightly unfair as i worked really hard in spanish and if i had know i was gonna get those grades i would definitely have asked to retake during the year but i dont really want to retake now with a levels and everything. I also got full marks in my reading so i feel like I might of been able to get an A* in spanish if i had retaken my course work during the year.... I am only 5 UMS from an A....

Does anyone know if you can remark spanish coursework and if there is any point. AQA remarks cost £35 and so im not sure if its worth it. Also i read on another thread that remarking coursework means that the whole class is remarked and obviously would cost a lot and other people may go down and its not going to be worth that. My other option would be to remark the listening (i got a B in it ) however i feel like there is less point in doing that as the listening paper is so objective as its mainly multiple choice so there would be less chance of me going up. I cant decide if my teacher graded me inaccurately highly or the exam board graded me inaccurately low.

Any advice would be much appreciated and I hope you guys all got what u wanted :smile:
Original post by bakee005
So today I received my GCSE results and I got 4a* 5a and 2bs, which i was really happy with. I got a B in spanish when all my reports had told me i was on an A1 (meaning that my teacher thought that i was at a high A and may tip into A*). I got a B, I thought that this was because i messed up one of the exams but it turns out that it was actually because both of my pieces of course work were brought down by 2 grades each (writing from an a* to a B and speaking from a A to a C). This does feel slightly unfair as i worked really hard in spanish and if i had know i was gonna get those grades i would definitely have asked to retake during the year but i dont really want to retake now with a levels and everything. I also got full marks in my reading so i feel like I might of been able to get an A* in spanish if i had retaken my course work during the year.... I am only 5 UMS from an A....

Does anyone know if you can remark spanish coursework and if there is any point. AQA remarks cost £35 and so im not sure if its worth it. Also i read on another thread that remarking coursework means that the whole class is remarked and obviously would cost a lot and other people may go down and its not going to be worth that. My other option would be to remark the listening (i got a B in it ) however i feel like there is less point in doing that as the listening paper is so objective as its mainly multiple choice so there would be less chance of me going up. I cant decide if my teacher graded me inaccurately highly or the exam board graded me inaccurately low.

Any advice would be much appreciated and I hope you guys all got what u wanted :smile:

For coursework and controlled assessments to be remarked, it's up to the centre (school) as you can't get it individually marked, they would have to send them all off for a remark and they would probably have to get the consent of all the other students too. It's therefore unlikely to happen because as you said, some grades might be at risk of going down and people might be happy with theirs already. I'm sorry you weren't happy with your Spanish grade, but well done on your other results. :h:

If you'd like more information on remarks, a thread has been made here for results day: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4270742
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Black Rose
For coursework and controlled assessments to be remarked, it's up to the centre (school) as you can't get it individually marked, they would have to send them all off for a remark and they would probably have to get the consent of all the other students too. It's therefore unlikely to happen because as you said, some grades might be at risk of going down and people might be happy with theirs already. I'm sorry you weren't happy with your Spanish grade, but well done on your other results. :h:

If you'd like more information on remarks, a thread has been made here for results day: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4270742

ok thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest