The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Just take a breather, you could still do those courses but in 2017 possibly, just take this year to resit some of your gcses and you should be fine.
Reply 2
Original post by RoadToGradeA
Just take a breather, you could still do those courses but in 2017 possibly, just take this year to resit some of your gcses and you should be fine.

Will I be able to do A levels at Sixth Form then and do I resit privately?
You need to have at least 5 A * - C to do A levels including Maths and English . Also most sixth form colleges ask for an A in Maths/ Science if you want to study that. So you will have to resit or just do a BTEC.
Reply 4
You will probably be asked to retake English Language as most Uni's ask for like a C in it. So if you get into a lenient place, they may allow you to retake English along side your GCSE's. However, it may be a case of retaking more GCSE's than that or being pushed into BTEC at some places
Original post by Kryptonian
Will I be able to do A levels at Sixth Form then and do I resit privately?

Some sixth forms will allow you to resit your gcses like english and maths whilst doing coursework a levels like Applied business etc
Reply 6
Lol I didn't know people like you existed on TSR..
If university is your overall aim I recommend doing a Btec rather than wasting a year of your life resisting GCSEs. Maybe level 3 Btec extended diploma in science. You could even do your Btec for 1 year then in your final year do an AS along side it. That's what I did.
Reply 8
Original post by 0range
Lol I didn't know people like you existed on TSR..

Why is that? Please explain
Reply 9
Original post by RoadToGradeA
Some sixth forms will allow you to resit your gcses like english and maths whilst doing coursework a levels like Applied business etc

Maths , chemistry and physics A levels??
Reply 10
Original post by uglyslut
You need to have at least 5 A * - C to do A levels including Maths and English . Also most sixth form colleges ask for an A in Maths/ Science if you want to study that. So you will have to resit or just do a BTEC.

Original post by Linda*
You will probably be asked to retake English Language as most Uni's ask for like a C in it. So if you get into a lenient place, they may allow you to retake English along side your GCSE's. However, it may be a case of retaking more GCSE's than that or being pushed into BTEC at some places

1 mark from a C :frown:
Reply 11
Original post by Bobby1900
If university is your overall aim I recommend doing a Btec rather than wasting a year of your life resisting GCSEs. Maybe level 3 Btec extended diploma in science. You could even do your Btec for 1 year then in your final year do an AS along side it. That's what I did.

Ah what kind of courses can you get onto with that and may I ask what GCSEs you got?
Try to retake your English and Maths.

I did Btech, HND, degree, MBA, then PHD at Warwick.

Find another route if you don't want to spend a year on retakes.
Reply 13
Original post by sunshine1978
Try to retake your English and Maths.

I did Btech, HND, degree, MBA, then PHD at Warwick.

Find another route if you don't want to spend a year on retakes.

Why maths? I got a grade B in maths.

I want to do A levels though. :frown:
I think I'm the only one on TSR who has failed their GCSEs. I only got 3 GCSEs.

I wished to study A levels this September.

These are the only GCSEs I passed and the grades I achieved:

Mathematics: B
Chemistry: B
Physics: C

Those were also the subjects I wished to study at A level.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but clearly exams aren't your thing. You should learn a trade, there's lots of well paid plumbers out there with poor GCSEs
You legally need to redo English if you're under 18 until you get a C so focus on getting a C in November. Speak to your school as you will need to resit!
1 mark from a C :frown:

Try getting it remarked.

e.g. In biology I got:

overall B
Unit 1: A (2 marks off A*)
Unit 2: A*
Unit 3: B (never bothered revising lol)
Unit 4: F (WTF... I was really angry cuz it was at an A* - my teacher literally is going toget this remarked) - If I get a high A* in my ISA I'll get an A* overall
Reply 17
Original post by Kieranisda1
I don't mean to sound harsh, but clearly exams aren't your thing. You should learn a trade, there's lots of well paid plumbers out there with poor GCSEs

Nice try. I'm better at exams than I am at anything practical and I want to study physics and you can't stop me. I'll do A levels privately if I have to
Why maths? I got a grade B in maths.

I want to do A levels though. :frown:

Look, focus on what you did do well! You got a B in Maths which is an amazing grade for such a challenging subject. You also got a B and C in Chem and Physics which are also both very hard subjects, so well done! You will have to retake English Lang but that's not the end of the world, with practice you could be achieving top grades in November, trust me!

Just keep your chin up, GCSEs aren't that deep, they're just letters on a piece of paper... And if you manage to do A Levels, smash them! They will automatically overwrite your GCSEs so try to remain positive and work hard over the next 2 years! Good luck and congratulations!
(edited 7 years ago)
Nice try. I'm better at exams than I am at anything practical and I want to study physics and you can't stop me. I'll do A levels privately if I have to

Well you can physics at if you like but if you can only get a C at GCSE then you may very well struggle at A-level. People who are good at their trades do better off than people who are OK/bad at A-levels and uni

Latest