The Student Room Group

Bad GCSE results

Hi,

I just opened my GCSE results today and was pretty disappointed. I got mostly C's, a couple of D's and a couple of B's. In certain subjects (Like Maths) I was expecting to get an A* but ultimately the exams got the better of me. Will I still be able to take my desired A-Levels despite not having the "required" grades to take them? Do you have any stories of managing to blag your way into a course despite not achieving a high enough grade? Also, I got a D in English. Is it absolutely compulsory for me to take it again in Year 12?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Nerdcubed
Hi,

I just opened my GCSE results today and was pretty disappointed. I got mostly C's, a couple of D's and a couple of B's. In certain subjects (Like Maths) I was expecting to get an A* but ultimately the exams got the better of me. Will I still be able to take my desired A-Levels despite not having the "required" grades to take them? Do you have any stories of managing to blag your way into a course despite not achieving a high enough grade? Also, I got a D in English. Is it absolutely compulsory for me to take it again in Year 12?

I do know people who have been let on despite not meeting the requirements, but it will depend on each Sixth form and on everyone's different circumstance. A-Levels are a fair bit harder than GCSE, however, so you'll need to think about if you can cope with the subject at A-Level if you didn't meet the requirement at GCSE.

In terms of English, I'd strongly recommend retaking it in Year 12. The C grade is quite important for English.
Hey,
First of all, what A-Levels are you planning to do? You could talk with your school (If you're staying there) and negotiate with them to see if you can take the subjects you want. I nearly met the required grades (i needed a B in both English Language and Maths to take psychology. I got two C's) and was lucky to be allowed to take psychology by speaking to a teacher.

Also, don't worry about your grades. you could always do a resit if you want. Be positive :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Shaunie3
Hey,
First of all, what A-Levels are you planning to do? You could talk with your school (If you're staying there) and negotiate with them to see if you can take the subjects you want. I nearly met the required grades (i needed a B in both English Language and Maths to take psychology. I got two C's) and was lucky to be allowed to take psychology by speaking to a teacher.

Also, don't worry about your grades. you could always do a resit if you want. Be positive :smile:

I want to take Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Further Maths. Out of all the grades I took, only Maths is high enough (and that's not to take Further Maths). Further Additional science was a D which is pretty concerning as that's 2 grades lower than the requirement. I want to pursue a career in medical research so the Science's are absolutely vital. Do you think 2 grades is too off-the-mark? Again, sorry if I'm being a bit of a pessimist.
Original post by Nerdcubed
I want to take Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Further Maths. Out of all the grades I took, only Maths is high enough (and that's not to take Further Maths). Further Additional science was a D which is pretty concerning as that's 2 grades lower than the requirement. I want to pursue a career in medical research so the Science's are absolutely vital. Do you think 2 grades is too off-the-mark? Again, sorry if I'm being a bit of a pessimist.

I'm a bit of a pessimist sometimes, don't worry!

To me, 2 grades does seem a bit off. You could maybe change your subjects around so that it can still pursue your medical research career? So maybe checking unis that have preferred subjects other than the sciences (if you know what I mean). Like I said before, try to speak to your teachers.

I hope I'm not confusing you:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest