The Student Room Group

Sixth form? :(

Hello,

I'm just after a bit of advice really.. I've done one year at my Sixth Form, determined to get into one university in particular so I'm trying to get my head down and work, although I'm not enjoying the whole Sixth Form experience. This might sound as though I'm feeling sorry for myself (which I'm not!) but I literally have no friends. So many people are just stuck up and it really frustrates me!! I went on an open day to the uni I'd like to go to, and they do a course before proper uni starts, "Year 0". I really don't know whether I should go for it and apply, or whether I should stay and do the second year of A Levels? The thing is all of my A Level exams are after the two years :frown: so if I mess them up it's game over... :/
Reply 1
The Year 0 program sounds fantastic! I think that you should consider it as an alternative if you are unhappy with continuing your A levels. Is there a Guidance Counsellor or a Careers Advisor you could possibly talk to at the college? Maybe they could help giving you advice on where to go next.
Reply 2
Year zero?
Original post by cattlelivestock
Hello,

I'm just after a bit of advice really.. I've done one year at my Sixth Form, determined to get into one university in particular so I'm trying to get my head down and work, although I'm not enjoying the whole Sixth Form experience. This might sound as though I'm feeling sorry for myself (which I'm not!) but I literally have no friends. So many people are just stuck up and it really frustrates me!! I went on an open day to the uni I'd like to go to, and they do a course before proper uni starts, "Year 0". I really don't know whether I should go for it and apply, or whether I should stay and do the second year of A Levels? The thing is all of my A Level exams are after the two years :frown: so if I mess them up it's game over... :/

Dont worry things always work out, just keep your head down do some hard work, get your soon to be amazing grades and get into a good uni and find some amazing people there. Honestly, like you i am in yr12 going into yr13, and yr13 is more of year were you buckle up and just forget social life and revise. Believe me you will get through it!
Reply 4
Year 0 courses (foundation course) are targeted at people looking at developing their skills in their chosen area of study before starting a degree.

University's typically offer year 0 courses for people wishing to study arty/creative subjects, but who have not developed their skills to a high enough standard to start the degree straight away. That's not to say that other subject areas do not offer year 0 courses - just depends on university.

Personally, i would only undertake a year 0 course if my skills/knowledge where not up to par, before starting a degree. Otherwise, I just see them as a waste of time & you can go straight from A-Levels to starting a degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, that's probably not the official term :confused: but it's like that - it's a foundation course completed instead of A Levels, or for students who have taken a break from studies and are going back into it :smile:
Original post by IYGB
Year zero?
Everyone I've spoken to (teachers & family) have said to stick with the A Levels and apply next year, my head's with them, but my heart isn't unfortunately. :frown: Thank you for your advice :smile:

Original post by Ivee
The Year 0 program sounds fantastic! I think that you should consider it as an alternative if you are unhappy with continuing your A levels. Is there a Guidance Counsellor or a Careers Advisor you could possibly talk to at the college? Maybe they could help giving you advice on where to go next.
Reply 7
Please don't worry too much about if people like you/wanna be your friend or not. I've made 1 genuine friend at college and that's all, but that's enough tbh. Exams are more important and you can worry about your social life at uni.

I'd personally advise you just to stick 1 more year out, but if your heart is set on the year 0 thingy go for it,
Okay, thank you :smile: I think I should probably stick with my A Levels and stop moping about!!

Original post by Josh_MG
Year 0 courses (foundation course) are targeted at people looking at developing their skills in their chosen area of study before starting a degree.

University's typically offer year 0 courses for people wishing to study arty/creative subjects, but who have not developed their skills to a high enough standard to start the degree straight away. That's not to say that other subject areas do not offer year 0 courses - just depends on university.

Personally, i would only undertake a year 0 course if my skills/knowledge where not up to par, before starting a degree. Otherwise, I just see them as a waste of time & you can go straight from A-Levels to starting a degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you for your advice :smile: I only joined TSR today and it's fantastic! It's so helpful

Original post by Inexorably
Please don't worry too much about if people like you/wanna be your friend or not. I've made 1 genuine friend at college and that's all, but that's enough tbh. Exams are more important and you can worry about your social life at uni.

I'd personally advise you just to stick 1 more year out, but if your heart is set on the year 0 thingy go for it,
Reply 10
Original post by cattlelivestock
Everyone I've spoken to (teachers & family) have said to stick with the A Levels and apply next year, my head's with them, but my heart isn't unfortunately. :frown: Thank you for your advice :smile:

I've had the same kind of issues and have been through many different courses in college for the past few years. I don't think it would hurt to try the year 0 programme and see how it goes. If it doesn't work out then it doesn't necessarily mean game over, but it also wouldn't hurt to do the A2's first and then progress onto year 0 instead of a gap year. Further Education is flexible like that :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending