The Student Room Group

Condescension?

I went to return some shoes at Moss Bros. I was wondering why I was charged an extra 25 for something I'm not familiar with that was shown in the receipt. The old man told me it was for one of the shirts, but I should haven't been charged for it, because it was part of the suit deal.

The suit deal basically means that I get a suit + extra trousers and 2 shirts. Doesn't that basically means there are 3 shirts altogether? Because I've never heard of a suit with no shirt. But he said "no" and nodded with a hint of exasperation, then said "You don't understand". Then didn't bother to explain why, because he was processing 40 quid back into my debit card (for the returned unused shoes). He even told me to read the sign again and I did. It was still 'suit + extra trousers and 2 shirts'... Every other male that came in, he said "Hello sir," but didn't say it to me. I don't know if is because I'm not a middle aged man.

I didn't pursue the situation any further, because I decided that I'll be the bigger person and not waste time arguing with him. Since I had other things I had to do in town. Moss Bros won't be getting business from me in the future.

Did you think he was condescending? Don't you think 'suit + extra trousers and 2 shirts' basically means 3 shirts altogether?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ColossalAtom
I went to return some shoes at Moss Bros. I was wondering why I was charged an extra 25 for something I'm not familiar with that was shown in the receipt. The old man told me it was for one of the shirts, but I should haven't been charged for it, because it was part of the suit deal.

The suit deal basically means that I get a suit + extra trousers and 2 shirts. Doesn't that basically means there are 3 shirts altogether? Because I've never heard of a suit with no shirt. But he said "no" and nodded with a hint of exasperation, then said "You don't understand". Then didn't bother to explain why, because he was processing 40 quid back into my debit card (for the returned unused shoes). He even told me to read the sign again and I did. It was still 'suit + extra trousers and 2 shirts'... Every other male that came in, he said "Hello sir," but didn't say it to me. I don't know if is because I'm not a middle aged man.

I didn't pursue the situation any further, because I decided that I'll be the bigger person and not waste time arguing with him. Since I had other things I had to do in town. Moss Bros won't be getting business from me in the future.

Did you think he was condescending? Don't you think 'suit + extra trousers and 2 shirts' basically means 3 shirts altogether?

I'd say the shop are right. My understanding is in the context of buying a suit, the suit consists of jacket and trousers and shirts are always counted separately.
Original post by milliemogs
I'd say the shop are right. My understanding is in the context of buying a suit, the suit consists of jacket and trousers and shirts are always counted separately.

But you have three shirts altogether right?
Original post by ColossalAtom

The bloke in the shop is correct, you should have been a bit stern with him though if he was being condescending
Original post by Kieranisda1
The bloke in the shop is correct, you should have been a bit stern with him though if he was being condescending

He already look agitated and I had other errands to run. There was also customers too.
You guys need to read carefully:

'Suit + extra trousers and 2 shirts'.

Going by the first poster's logic. That means I only have one pair of trousers altogether.
Never mind. My dad just explained it to me. But the term suit is used differently in terms of buying one and the term being used in a social setting.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending