The Student Room Group

Sine Rule Question

Hey I am doing work on Sine Rule and have come across a question I am stuck on, I have re-arranged the formula to 10Sin43/6 = SinX

When I put this into my calculator I get an error. I guess this is because there are two answers to the question?? How do I find out the answer?? THANKS
Original post by JackLeggett
Hey I am doing work on Sine Rule and have come across a question I am stuck on, I have re-arranged the formula to 10Sin43/6 = SinX

When I put this into my calculator I get an error. I guess this is because there are two answers to the question?? How do I find out the answer?? THANKS

No. You got an error because 10sin(43/6) is greater than 1. SinX can only take up values between (and including) -1 and 1. Post the question and let's see otherwise, check it again.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by RDKGames
No. You got it wrong because 10sin(43/6) is greater than 1. SinX can only take up values between -1 and 1. Post the question and let's see otherwise check it again.

Ok here is the question it says use the sine rule to work out x. ImageUploadedByStudent Room1472151594.516846.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ok here is the question it says use the sine rule to work out x.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Must be a false question.
Reply 4
I must be really confused because I rearranged this too sin43/6 x 10? this results in a number larger than one again
Reply 5
Must be a false question.

Yeah I think it must be thanks for help though :smile:
Yeah I think it must be thanks for help though :smile:

Does the book have any answers at the back concerning that? Let me know if it does.
Reply 7
Does the book have any answers at the back concerning that? Let me know if it does.

yes it says it is 77 or 103
yes it says it is 77 or 103

Can't be. I've just checked x=77 and used the cosine rule to verify the sides. While keeping the 10 side the same, my answer of the other side is 6.963... rather than 6. Answers are wrong by verification. Move onto other questions.
Reply 9
Can't be. I've just checked x=77 and used the cosine rule to verify the sides. While keeping the 10 side the same, my answer of the other side is 6.963... rather than 6. Answers are wrong by verification. Move onto other questions.

Ok Thanks So much for quick replies and general help. Very Helpful to me

Quick Reply

Latest