The Student Room Group

University of Cambridge Freshers Megathread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sweeneyrod
GCSE drama tho

saw Business - B, Drama - D, Additional Science - A, Design - D, Thought he was trying to match his grade to the starting letter of the subject at first.
Reply 521
@zacken how did everything go in the end? must have gotten lost in the step thread
Original post by C0balt
Give me a call and I'll be right there in 10 mins, a cookie per spider

I'll give you ten, from Sainsbury's
Original post by EricPiphany
Someone explain to me the connection between Oxford and St John's... Or is this just random bants...

Some Cambridge students would rather go to Oxford than St John's
Original post by Zacken
saw Business - B, Drama - D, Additional Science - A, Design - D, Thought he was trying to match his grade to the starting letter of the subject at first.

Step 3 - 3

(Too soon?)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Krollo
Step 3 - 3

(Too soon?)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Says the one who couldn't hack BMO2.
1/40
Original post by physicsmaths
Says the one who couldn't hack BMO2.
1/40

M8 I was focusing on proper olympiads with practical problems about capacitors and stuff, not like number theory (do it numerically innit)

Posted from TSR Mobile
They're both for dickheads.I thought that would get censored lol.
Must be some at St Johns.
Original post by Serine Soul
Some Cambridge students would rather go to Oxford than St John's

Strangely, I'm feeling more excited than ever.
Original post by Serine Soul
I'll give you ten, from Sainsbury's

Deal
has anyone got info about accommodation ?
Reply 529
Original post by chemphys
has anyone got info about accommodation ?

Nope, I think we'll get some beginning of sept
Original post by KingRS
@zacken how did everything go in the end? must have gotten lost in the step thread

He got in. He Got 1,1,1
How about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maths last year. Missed it.
Maths this year, missed it again but they let me in this step since step was sufficient and Olympiads.
Olympiads bolster chances at places like trinity if you do really well, try them. Also they make you immensely better at problem solving because they are harder then step.

Oh right ok! Well if you were good enough the first time I'm sure that's why you got another offer :wink: congrats on meeting it though! Must be nice knowing you're going to study in one of the world's best unis!
Ah ok! So you think because of the olympiads you did that increased your chances a lot? Yh I heard they're super good! A Level maths doesn't really make you think so doing these is actually a good idea!
My dream place is trinity! Would love to do maths there but there seems to be an awful lot of amazing mathematicians applying to trinity!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KingRS
I'm Trinity Maths too (For that person I'm not bothered to go back and tag)
How many hours should I try to put in every week for my course (incl. lectures/supervisions)
Are there rugby teams for each college or for the university as a whole and does anyone know how frequent training is?
Also how often is rowing on each week?

I think 1st year mathmos have 2 hours of lectures everyday Mon-Sat, and on average 2x1 hour supervisions, and so 2 examples due in, each week. People spend varying amounts of times on example sheets, depending on how hard they find it/how long they're willing to spend on the harder problems before giving up. Maybe it's in the range 8-12 hours per sheet, depending on the person. Mathmos might spend some time going over lecture notes, say 4-6 hours a week. This would come to 34-44 hours a week. But these are just guestimates, and I'm not a mathmo but have many trinmo friends.

Some people put in more time than others because they need to or they want to do well, others put in less time as they're geniuses. :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KingRS

Turns out I did pretty well in II, 15 points higher than I was expecting. Got in with 1, 1, 1. Yourself?
Original post by jneill
Amazing! GOOD LUCK for the CUBC trial.

And I think Christ's could do with some good rowers too :wink:

Thank you! I think they could haha they're out of the first division in bumps now lol but as vincrows said I won't be rowing with the college (although I think that is an option after the Boat Race, depending what else is happening)
Original post by vincrows
Awesome!Which seat now?If I remember correctly, you're from London area, aren't you?So been rowing on the Thames?Went to see our daughter rowing for WEHORR a few times. Very different from Cam, in every sense.......Watched Rio?I knew men's four will get gold but watching men's eight winning gold was happiest moment for me in Rio games. Thought the day will never come......

Yep near to London so rowing on the Thames. Ah cool I did SHORR and HORR this year (in a quad and eight respectively) so I've got some experience, just all in the wrong direction! And I don't really have a seat it normally depends on the physique of everyone else in the boat :lol: I'm also open to rowing either side, I just have a lot more experience on bow side, but I have been sculling for about 95% of my water time I'd say, maybe more haha.

And yes Rio was amazing! So many good races, the men's eight was brilliant (unfortunately Steve Trapmore's medal isn't so unique any more :P ). I also loved seeing the Kiwi pair, Croatia double, quads final (shame about GB!) and Drysdale (although arguably Henley was more interesting :wink: ) haha.
Original post by Duskstar
Thank you! I think they could haha they're out of the first division in bumps now lol but as vincrows said I won't be rowing with the college (although I think that is an option after the Boat Race, depending what else is happening)

If you make the Cambridge boat you'll be a TSR hero for life. Go Duskstar! Woo!

:adore:
Reply 536
Original post by Zacken
Turns out I did pretty well in II, 15 points higher than I was expecting. Got in with 1, 1, 1. Yourself?

Yeah I did way better on 2 than i thought (+20) but worse on 3 (-10). got in with the 1,1 in the end. What college are you in?
Original post by KingRS
Yeah I did way better on 2 than i thought (+20) but worse on 3 (-10). got in with the 1,1 in the end. What college are you in?

Whoo! Sounds exactly like me. +15 in II and -3 in III. I'm going to King's. I think you're at Trinity, right?
Reply 538
Since everyone's talking about rowing - does anyone know the standards of most college boats? I rowed in school (in Australia) and did quite well, managed to get a sub 6:20 2k time and stroke my school's boat. I haven't rowed since our season ended in March 2015 though so would very much be off form by now. I kind of want to row, because it's something I know how to do and it's such a big part of Cambridge, but I'm not sure if I'd like to commit to the training like I did at school. So if I pulled a 2k time of 6:20 or so what boat would I be likely to end up in in College (I know it would differ between colleges), I would probably prefer rowing casually tbh.

Also, is the training for bumps significantly different to that for training for a 2km race? As in is it more focussed on long/short pieces etc.?
Original post by NS1205
Since everyone's talking about rowing - does anyone know the standards of most college boats? I rowed in school (in Australia) and did quite well, managed to get a sub 6:20 2k time and stroke my school's boat. I haven't rowed since our season ended in March 2015 though so would very much be off form by now. I kind of want to row, because it's something I know how to do and it's such a big part of Cambridge, but I'm not sure if I'd like to commit to the training like I did at school. So if I pulled a 2k time of 6:20 or so what boat would I be likely to end up in in College (I know it would differ between colleges), I would probably prefer rowing casually tbh.

Also, is the training for bumps significantly different to that for training for a 2km race? As in is it more focussed on long/short pieces etc.?

If you want to row 'casually' , you can just row for second or third (if they have) boat. Lower boats usually train less than first boat. But they'd still expect you to commit yourself to their regular training, though. It's usually 3 mornings a week for lower boats, but as you said, it can vary from college to college.
Which college are you going? I think the best thing is just go to their introductory session during the freshers week and try out & ask the question.

The course of Bumps is a bit longer, about 2.5 km or so, I think.
I have 3 ex-Cambridge college rowers in the family but never rowed myself, so not sure about how their training is different from that of 2km regatta, but my guess is probably not much for rowers.........I think. Perhaps it'd depend on their coach's training style, rather than because it's for bumps.
Because of the style of race and the course features (narrow and winding, and 16 other boats chasing each other), the role of Cox is quite different and more significant for bumps, though. .
Oh btw, they do race other races, too, not just bumps. Some of them are regatta.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending