The Student Room Group

How can I get a D to an A in A Level Chemistry???

Hey guys,

So I got a D in AS Chemistry and I was wondering what I could do, to get that up to an A. I did 2 papers, Unit 1 and 2, and got D's in both papers.

Also, do you think I would be able to do Medical Pharmacology at Cardiff uni with these grades at AS:

English lit - B
Biology - C (resitting a unit)
Maths - C (resitting a unit)
Chemistry - D (resitting both units)

Thank you!!
Reply 1
Revise
Original post by ovo_zverit
Hey guys,

So I got a D in AS Chemistry and I was wondering what I could do, to get that up to an A. I did 2 papers, Unit 1 and 2, and got D's in both papers.

Also, do you think I would be able to do Medical Pharmacology at Cardiff uni with these grades at AS:

English lit - B

Thank you!!

Did you do the new 2015 spec for Chemistry? If so, it doesn't affect your A2 grade
Reply 3
Hey guys,

English lit - B

Thank you!!

Hi,

I have just completed my chemistry A2 but I probably can't give you good advice because you should have done the new specification AS which won't affect your A2 in reformed A-Level.

I will however advise lots of practice papers, and the use of Machemguys youtube videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/MaChemGuy/playlists

He covers everything old and (eventually) new spec for OCR chemistry (sorry if you don't do OCR) and much of this content overlaps with other exam board specs.

Try hard and you will go far. Chemistry is half remembering and half chemical intuition. The only way to practice the intuition is exposure to unseen past exam papers and extra practice materials. You can find revision for all boards and exam past papers here: http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/chemistry-revision/

Take good notes constructed using exam worthy language and use a checklist based off the spec in order to ensure you have covered everything :smile:

Don't just study your A-Level stuff, read around each topic, for example chirality is interesting when you look into dextrorotatory and levorotatory optical isomers in the context of drugs and side effects. This will aid your understanding and your intuition.

Best of luck for the future, you'll need it! Chemistry is up there as one of (if not the hardest) A Level :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Ze Witcher
Did you do the new 2015 spec for Chemistry? If so, it doesn't affect your A2 grade

Yeah I did the new spec, but I thought that was only in England, and not Wales?
Reply 5
Original post by L33t
Hi,

I have just completed my chemistry A2 but I probably can't give you good advice because you should have done the new specification AS which won't affect your A2 in reformed A-Level.

I will however advise lots of practice papers, and the use of Machemguys youtube videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/MaChemGuy/playlists

He covers everything old and (eventually) new spec for OCR chemistry (sorry if you don't do OCR) and much of this content overlaps with other exam board specs.

Try hard and you will go far. Chemistry is half remembering and half chemical intuition. The only way to practice the intuition is exposure to unseen past exam papers and extra practice materials.

Don't just study your A-Level stuff, read around each topic for example, chirality is interesting when you look into dextrorotatory and levorotatory optical isomers in the context of drugs and side effects. This will aid your understanding and your intuition.

Best of luck for the future, you'll need it! Chemistry is up there as one of (if not the hardest) A Level :biggrin:

I do WJEC but thanks, I will use it as much as I can!
Reply 6
I do WJEC but thanks, I will use it as much as I can!

The other link I put in my edited post should still come in handy though :smile:

http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/chemistry-revision/

If reforms haven't reached/ been considered in Wales yet :smile: you're lucky!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by L33t
The other link I put in my edited post should still come in handy though :smile:

http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/chemistry-revision/

I don't think reforms have reached Wales yet :smile: you're lucky!

Thank you!
The A levels have been reformed, i'm just not sure whether my AS grades count towards my A2 grades.
Thank you!
The A levels have been reformed, i'm just not sure whether my AS grades count towards my A2 grades.

If they have then no they won't count towards your A-levels
Original post by Ze Witcher
If they have then no they won't count towards your A-levels

chemistry is reformed, dont worry, it has no effect on your grade in A2

Quick Reply

Latest