The Student Room Group

Want to remark but against remarking...

I'm generally against remarking. In rare instances, it's an error. But I generally think that it breeds a "it's the exam board's fault" mentality, it awards people for not much at all, it's also much harder on those on lower incomes and it takes away a lot of responsibility too, as well as many other reasons.

However I got my GCSEs today, and I got 12 A*s and 1 A. I'm really pleased, but that 1 A is in Geography, a subject I should have got an A* in. Though as it turned out, I was off by a single UMS mark. (179/180). In my exam, I misread a 12 marker and know I lost marks there, the difference between an A* and an A. So I wanted to keep the A firstly because for the reasons above, but also it acts as a constant reminder to read the question and to be careful, because that is my fatal flaw when it comes exams overall.

However the temptation is killing me. That 1 UMS point is the difference between straight A*s, but doing so goes against what I believe and takes away Geography as a constant reminder to be careful which could prove useful. Not to mention realistically 12 A*s and 1 A does not look bad at all in its own right, that or 13 A*s isn't going to make a huge difference.

However the temptation is strong, pretty strong. My beliefs and logic go against it, but at the end of the day it'd be nice to have 13 A*s. So looking at my example, should I go for it? What would you do?
Reply 1
Bump?
Do it
Do what you want. P.S 179/180 is almost 100%... Unless you meant 179/200. You've answered your own question by listing all the Pros and Cons. Just make your own decision.
Reply 4
If you are disappointed with your mark, as in you think it should have been higher - remark.

If not, leave it.
Don't do it. Principles are worth more than grades.
You should be aware of changes to the way re-marks are carried out which means that small increases of the type you need are less likely this year. Read this to find out about the changes.
Reply 7
Original post by BioStudentx
Do what you want. P.S 179/180 is almost 100%... Unless you meant 179/200. You've answered your own question by listing all the Pros and Cons. Just make your own decision.

Yeah full UMS was 200, I got 179, but 180 was needed for the A*.
Reply 8
Original post by !!mentor!!
Don't do it. Principles are worth more than grades.

Think I agree.
Reply 9
Original post by jamestg
If you are disappointed with your mark, as in you think it should have been higher - remark.

If not, leave it.

Of course I'm a bit disappointed because it could have been higher, but I'm disappointed because I know exactly where I lost the marks which could have tipped the balance. I think I got the mark I deserved and it serves a pretty important message, but at the end of the day, 1 UMS off where a remark could easily tip the balance into a full 100% A*...It's more matter of what I think vs what would be nicer.
DO itttttt
Original post by CJKAllstar
I'm generally against remarking. In rare instances, it's an error. But I generally think that it breeds a "it's the exam board's fault" mentality, it awards people for not much at all, it's also much harder on those on lower incomes and it takes away a lot of responsibility too, as well as many other reasons.

However I got my GCSEs today, and I got 12 A*s and 1 A. I'm really pleased, but that 1 A is in Geography, a subject I should have got an A* in. Though as it turned out, I was off by a single UMS mark. (179/180). In my exam, I misread a 12 marker and know I lost marks there, the difference between an A* and an A. So I wanted to keep the A firstly because for the reasons above, but also it acts as a constant reminder to read the question and to be careful, because that is my fatal flaw when it comes exams overall.

However the temptation is killing me. That 1 UMS point is the difference between straight A*s, but doing so goes against what I believe and takes away Geography as a constant reminder to be careful which could prove useful. Not to mention realistically 12 A*s and 1 A does not look bad at all in its own right, that or 13 A*s isn't going to make a huge difference.

However the temptation is strong, pretty strong. My beliefs and logic go against it, but at the end of the day it'd be nice to have 13 A*s. So looking at my example, should I go for it? What would you do?

Surely if you achieved 12A* and 1A you'll be smart enough to realise that whether you get 13 or not, your life prospects won't be affected.
May as well remark, unless you believe in that 13 is an unlucky number.
Reply 13
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Surely if you achieved 12A* and 1A you'll be smart enough to realise that whether you get 13 or not, your life prospects won't be affected.

Yup...as I said in the OP...but I mean the opportunity for a full 13 A*s is there by 1 UMS only so obviously I'm a bit tempted...
Original post by CJKAllstar
Yup...as I said in the OP...but I mean the opportunity for a full 13 A*s is there by 1 UMS only so obviously I'm a bit tempted...

Do as you want. There's statistically only 18% of it changing for one; I'm not sure what it is for going up.

Quick Reply