The Student Room Group

Gap year and parents...

So i got into my chosen university but Ive applied to take a different course at the same uni. My plan was to take a gap year now matter my results but in particular if i didn't do as well as i wanted. Now my parents are on my back and want me to go to uni this year and see no point of me improving my uni grades even though i got in. This is frustrating and I was wondering if anyone has had or is having a similar experience.
Reply 1
Original post by Tan1234
So i got into my chosen university but Ive applied to take a different course at the same uni. My plan was to take a gap year now matter my results but in particular if i didn't do as well as i wanted. Now my parents are on my back and want me to go to uni this year and see no point of me improving my uni grades even though i got in. This is frustrating and I was wondering if anyone has had or is having a similar experience.

How will you improve your grades in a gap year? Are you resitting? What were your grades?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I got a C in business, E in psychology and D* in Btec forensic science . They are vexed why I am resisting even though I got in but I want to improve my grades so that if it comes to a job application and employers look at my level grades then I would most likely lose out on many job opportunities . I want to resit to prove to myself that I can do it even though my parents that no I could do so at university I disagree because of the reasons I stated . A gap year would be really useful for me to get some money together, pass driving and gain confidence with a little bit of traveling .
Reply 3
Original post by Tan1234
I got a C in business, E in psychology and D* in Btec forensic science . They are vexed why I am resisting even though I got in but I want to improve my grades so that if it comes to a job application and employers look at my level grades then I would most likely lose out on many job opportunities . I want to resit to prove to myself that I can do it even though my parents that no I could do so at university I disagree because of the reasons I stated . A gap year would be really useful for me to get some money together, pass driving and gain confidence with a little bit of traveling .

Your degree will be more important than your A-levels for most jobs.

And if you are resiting you will need to make sure you concentrate on your studies, rather than travelling, etc :wink:
Reply 4
Original post by jneill
Your degree will be more important than your A-levels for most jobs.

And if you are resiting you will need to make sure you concentrate on your studies, rather than travelling, etc :wink:

So if I don't have to retake then would taking a year out to earn some money and travel a little not be a bad idea? Because even before my exams I went in with the mentality that I would take a gap year no matter the circumstances. Some may see it as pointless but I don't feel ready this year and earning some money, pass my driving test and getting myself a car plus a little travelling wouldn't be a bad thing. My parents see it as pointless and want me to progress ASAP as i think their worry is that i won't go next year as "some things may change". I think if was to take a year out there would be some hostility but in the end what is done would be done.
Reply 5
Original post by Tan1234
So if I don't have to retake then would taking a year out to earn some money and travel a little not be a bad idea? Because even before my exams I went in with the mentality that I would take a gap year no matter the circumstances. Some may see it as pointless but I don't feel ready this year and earning some money, pass my driving test and getting myself a car plus a little travelling wouldn't be a bad thing. My parents see it as pointless and want me to progress ASAP as i think their worry is that i won't go next year as "some things may change". I think if was to take a year out there would be some hostility but in the end what is done would be done.

I'm afraid that's a decision for you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending