The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by EnglishMuon
If you're applying via UCAS after you've sat the exam, enter it on UCAS in ur qualifications section. just put the exam name as the 'other' option and manually enter it. yea the statement of results is proof, just like ums sheets from school is proof of other qualifications.

Thanks, I didn't know I have to enter my school lol.
Reply 61
Original post by to4ka
Thanks, I didn't know I have to enter my school lol.

Just to add on to EM, there's a proper "Sixth Term Examination Category", use that instead of the "other" option.
Original post by to4ka
As the OP says, most will start in February when they have received their offers. I'd say when you're really confident with STEP I (and you've done most of the papers), you may look into II and III. You have a lot of time to prepare, you may well focus on other stuff now.

EDIT: I don't mean that you have to spend ~6 months on STEP I and then move on. :biggrin: Also, read the OP carefully, it's full of useful info.

I would honestly recommend just starting as soon as possible, so preferably self-teach C3/4 over summer and then once you've done that start STEP I. Just in case you struggle a lot and there'll be no pressure. But don't expect an offer just because you get good at STEP, still need to do well at interview...
Original post by IrrationalRoot
I would honestly recommend just starting as soon as possible, so preferably self-teach C3/4 over summer and then once you've done that start STEP I. Just in case you struggle a lot and there'll be no pressure. But don't expect an offer just because you get good at STEP, still need to do well at interview...

Haha are you directing this at me? Yeah over the past 1-2 weeks i've been studying C3 and C4. Finished C3 and i'm confident with it. Hopefully the remaining topics: Vectors, Sequences and Series, Integration and Differentiation are calm :smile:
Original post by Zacken
It's not there for nothing. :tongue:

Sorry about that Zacken ... will be looking at the megapack when i'm confident with C4.
Original post by Dynamic_Vicz
Haha are you directing this at me? Yeah over the past 1-2 weeks i've been studying C3 and C4. Finished C3 and i'm confident with it. Hopefully the remaining topics: Vectors, Sequences and Series, Integration and Differentiation are calm :smile:

Nice, you should be fine with those, after that I'd say start working through the the core Siklos booklet. No need to do every problem (I definitely didn't) but just do some until you're ok tackling them on your own and then start papers and spam papers lol. You literally can't do enough papers (that said don't use them all up too quickly, although if you can do that that's kinda scary).
Spend a lot of time on the probs that you're stuck with.
Original post by IrrationalRoot
Nice, you should be fine with those, after that I'd say start working through the the core Siklos booklet. No need to do every problem (I definitely didn't) but just do some until you're ok tackling them on your own and then start papers and spam papers lol. You literally can't do enough papers (that said don't use them all up too quickly, although if you can do that that's kinda scary).
Spend a lot of time on the probs that you're stuck with.
Sounds like a good plan thanks.
How would you go about solving question 2? If it is simple i'll feel embarassed :colondollar:
How would you go about solving question 2? If it is simple i'll feel embarassed :colondollar:

Try out a few f(x)s (0, 1, -1) and you should see some cancellation or the like - just work out how the mechanics of the cancellation and the rest should be straightforward
(or that's my general game plan for questions like that)
Reply 69

Please refrain from posting non-STEP related questions in the STEP thread, we have the maths forum for that. Thanks.

Anywho, as an exception (but please refrain in the future), just plug x=1x=1 in. You get f(1)=0n(nr)(1)rf(-1) = \sum_{0}^n \binom{n}{r}(-1)^r now what binomial expansion is that?

Remember that (a+b)n=0n(nr)anrbr(a+b)^n = \sum_{0}^n \binom{n}{r} a^{n-r}b^r
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Zacken
Please refrain from posting non-STEP related questions in the STEP thread, we have the maths forum for that. Thanks.

Anywho, as an exception (but please refrain in the future), just plug x=1x=1 in. You get f(1)=0n(nr)(1)rf(-1) = \sum_{0}^n \binom{n}{r}(-1)^r now what binomial expansion is that?

Remember that (a+b)n=0n(nr)anrbr(a+b)^n = \sum_{0}^n \binom{n}{r} a^{n-r}b^r
Thank you. Won't do it again.
Original post by ValerieKR
Try out a few f(x)s (0, 1, -1) and you should see some cancellation or the like - just work out how the mechanics of the cancellation and the rest should be straightforward
(or that's my general game plan for questions like that)
Thanks
Reply 72
step III q3 is a fun one if anyone wants to try
Original post by 11234
step III q3 is a fun one if anyone wants to try

What year?
Reply 74
Original post by 11234
grr.. its just so boring it just takes up maths time. Could you read it over? Should I pm it to you

Please don't send your personal statement to anybody, you're putting your university place at risk.
Original post by Zacken
Please don't send your personal statement to anybody, you're putting your university place at risk.

Yeah, this is correct.

Also, for maths, at Cambridge, it matters very little. Seriously, a bit about what you like about maths, list any achievements, hobbys and stuff. Everyone says that at interview it's not even mentioned.
Don't panic - you were ok to send to it to me, it's just discouraged because now I'm capable of sharing it around. (I won't.) Make sure you 100% trust anybody you share it with.

Here for more info about that and tips on writing/editing one:

https://www.studential.com/university/applying/UCAS-application-guide/personal-statements/writing-guide/FAQs
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 77

Yeah, I know you're trustworthy - was just warning him because he seemed to have very little reservation about sending it off to any person. :smile:
Original post by Zacken
Yeah, I know you're trustworthy - was just warning him because he seemed to have very little reservation about sending it off to any person. :smile:

*This post will as an honorary +1 because it won't let me +1 your post*
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 79
What year?

Latest

Trending

Trending