The Student Room Group
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website

Fashion Design for Beginners Central Saint Martins

Hi there!

I was wondering if anyone has taken the Fashion Design for Beginners course at Central Saint Martins? If so, did you like it? Was it worth ‘’every penny’’?

I’ve been thinking about signing up for this course just to learn more about fashion design and how to make clothes. Did you learn how to make any garments on the course? such as apparel design, pattern making, draping techniques and construction, model drawing, hands-on construction, cutting, and finishing techniques, etc

I would like to know if the course is right for me or should I look elsewhere. I have made an enquiry to CSM and received a very vague answer which didn’t help me at all. I live a bit far to visit the Uni to chat with someone therefore your help would mean A LOT :smile:

Thx!
Original post by vessyace
Hi there!

I was wondering if anyone has taken the Fashion Design for Beginners course at Central Saint Martins? If so, did you like it? Was it worth ‘’every penny’’?

I’ve been thinking about signing up for this course just to learn more about fashion design and how to make clothes. Did you learn how to make any garments on the course? such as apparel design, pattern making, draping techniques and construction, model drawing, hands-on construction, cutting, and finishing techniques, etc

I would like to know if the course is right for me or should I look elsewhere. I have made an enquiry to CSM and received a very vague answer which didn’t help me at all. I live a bit far to visit the Uni to chat with someone therefore your help would mean A LOT :smile:

Thx!

Heyy, I'm sorry this is a late response to your question! So don't know if it would be of any help... But i actually did this course during the summer for one week. I absolutely loved it there partly because I've always wanted to go to CSM for fashion design. I guess it's good to go if you are thinking of applying there in the future. So you kind of get the sort of experience and atmosphere of studying there.

The course itself was okay. They'll set you a theme and you work on it, you get a day field trip to a gallery that they take you too as part of your research for the project. You also have a workshop for fashion illustration for the day. But for your project they basically leave you to it. The tutors are always there for questions about studying there. But in the end, what's useful is that you have a sketchbook and work that you can add to your portfolio.

Unfortunately, they don't do any garment making, mainly getting your basics down e.g research, designs, final idea etc.. but not actually making the garment.

If it's pattern making, they also have a short course on that at CSM. London college of fashion have more courses for making processes wise. So it's best to check out their site. LCF are also part of the UAL university!

Hope this helps!
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending