The Student Room Group

Should I get a Re-Mark?

Hi everyone,

I just got my Geography GCSE result today. I got an A overall, though 60% was A* and the rest was 20% A and 20% B. That left me with an overall A. I am happy to have achived an A. However, seeing as I feel cheated because I recived an A* in most of the GCSE. I checked how far I was off an A*. I discovered I am only 3 UMS marks away from an A*. I am stunned. This is such a small margin. I really want to get a remark, and I would do it straight away however, it costs a hell of a lot - £50 odd pounds! And I dont want to spend that for nothing.

What do you think?? Should I? I cant stop feeling I should because I want an A*.

Would appreciate your opinions.

Thanks
(edited 7 years ago)
I think you should! I am in partly the same boat as you too, I'm pretty happy with my grades but there's something odd about my AQA grades. I got a179 on my Economics & Literature papers and I need a 180 for an A*. I also got a 267 for Language but I need a 270 for an A*. Should I send it for remarking or is this an AQA strategy to keep student from JUST reaching that top mark?
Reply 2
I don't feel remarks in GCSE's in anything apart from English, Maths or a D grade isn't worthwhile, so no, I wouldn't get it remarked.

Well done on the fab grade and good luck with your future!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by keepyourapology
I think you should! I am in partly the same boat as you too, I'm pretty happy with my grades but there's something odd about my AQA grades. I got a179 on my Economics & Literature papers and I need a 180 for an A*. I also got a 267 for Language but I need a 270 for an A*. Should I send it for remarking or is this an AQA strategy to keep student from JUST reaching that top mark?

Well done for the good grades!

I know right. I have so many freinds who are soo close to the boundary to. I cant help feeling it may be a tactic for them to rake in money because they know people would be so egar to remark.
(edited 7 years ago)
To be honest I don't think it's worth it. Even if you want to do a degree in Geography, the uni won't really care whether you got an A or A* at GCSE. If you have £50 lying about that you're willing to spend then go for it sure. I'm in a similar position to you - one exam I was 3 marks off an A* too, but tbh for me it's not worth the money. I'm very happy with my results - getting 5 A*s instead of 6 doesn't bother me too much. Getting an A is really good!!!
Also, it's possible that you may go down a grade, + quite rare that examiners get it so wrong that you gain 3 marks.
Original post by Kaneki

Well done on the fab grade and good luck with your future!

I got 4 A's . Still got 6 more to do. This is my 1st year.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
I believe you are wholly refunded if your grade does indeed increase, so if it is, say, 1 or 2 marks, from the UMS, then it could be a good idea to get it remarked. But, it is your choice to spend however much the extortionate price is.
I don't think it's worth it personally. You've got to remember that your mark may also stay the same or even go down if you get a re-mark, particularly with subjects which have more subjective mark schemes such as Geography. I was 3 marks off an A for A2 ICT for example, however my mark stayed exactly the same after a re-mark. Whether you get an A or an A* in a subject at GCSE is unlikely to matter in the long run anyway. An A is still an excellent grade!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by The Awakener
Hi everyone,

I just got my Geography GCSE result today. I got an A overall, though 60% was A* and the rest was 20% A and 20% B. That left me with an overall A. I am happy to have achived an A. However, seeing as I feel cheated because I recived an A* in most of the GCSE. I checked how far I was off an A*. I discovered I am only 3 UMS marks away from an A*. I am stunned. This is such a small margin. I really want to get a remark, and I would do it straight away however, it costs a hell of a lot - £50 odd pounds! And I dont want to spend that for nothing.

What do you think?? Should I? I cant stop feeling I should because I want an A*.

Would appreciate your opinions.

Thanks

Honestly, unless you can easily afford the £50, I wouldn't recommend it. As much as I understand that this is frustrating for you now, it is unlikely to make any difference to your chances in life whatsoever whether you've got an A or an A* for your Geography GCSE. The most likely outcome of a remark is no change so you're essentially gambling £50 on the very small chance of getting your grade upgraded, which itself would have very few consequences apart from possibly making you a bit happier for a short while. So I'm afraid that it probably isn't worth it, sorry :frown:
Original post by Plagioclase
Honestly, unless you can easily afford the £50, I wouldn't recommend it. As much as I understand that this is frustrating for you now, it is unlikely to make any difference to your chances in life whatsoever whether you've got an A or an A* for your Geography GCSE. The most likely outcome of a remark is no change so you're essentially gambling £50 on the very small chance of getting your grade upgraded, which itself would have very few consequences apart from possibly making you a bit happier for a short while. So I'm afraid that it probably isn't worth it, sorry :frown:

Thanks alot for your advice.

I was hoping for a different answer, but I appreciate your advice. And its best I dont waste £50, I certainly dont have money to throw away.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending