The Student Room Group

Can I get into a top Uni with these GCSEs?

Biology- A
Chemistry- A
Physics- A
Maths Apps- A
Maths Methods- A
English Lit- A
English Lang- A
Business- B
Geography- A
German- A
P.E.- C
ICT- A

10 As, 1 B, 1 C.

I'm gutted because I could've easily gotten 12 A*s... And I go to a top grammar school.

At A Level I am taking Economics, Maths, Further Maths (and Physics or Geography-lemme know which you think would be better) to study Economics or something Political or Financial at University.

LSE, Cambridge, Kings College London, UCL, Imperial are the ones I would love to go to...

Do I have a chance if I ace my A Levels? I'm worried I can't because I let myself down and go to a grammar school(where everyone did superbly)...

If not these, can I still get into a Russell Group Uni?

Thank you xx
Reply 1
yes you will have a good chance
Reply 2
Original post by IAspireToSucceed
Biology- A
Chemistry- A
Physics- A
Maths Apps- A
Maths Methods- A
English Lit- A
English Lang- A
Business- B
Geography- A
German- A
P.E.- C
ICT- A

10 As, 1 B, 1 C.

I'm gutted because I could've easily gotten 12 A*s... And I go to a top grammar school.

At A Level I am taking Economics, Maths, Further Maths (and Physics or Geography-lemme know which you think would be better) to study Economics or something Political or Financial at University.

LSE, Cambridge, Kings College London, UCL, Imperial are the ones I would love to go to...

Do I have a chance if I ace my A Levels? I'm worried I can't because I let myself down and go to a grammar school(where everyone did superbly)...

Thank you xx

Hey,

I'd say you'd have a chance but if I was in your situation I would honestly resit some GCSEs I mean for example resitting the two Maths GCSEs and Physics wouldn't be too much work especially if you were to do them for A-level. If you have some A*s in some core subjects then that will certainly strengthen your application. Coupling that with some strong AS grades and good personal statement that would put you in good stead :smile:

I'd say Physics is the better option because Double Maths compliments Physics very well and will help you with Physics AS a lot. I did Further Maths to AS and I got a high A* in Physics A2

Hope this was helpful
Reply 3
My good mate's brother went to LSE to study economics only with 2 A*s at GCSE... that's because he got 5A*s at A level and an amazing personal statement. In my opinion GCSEs aren't nearly important as A levels and your application. Just focus on those. Better to get A's at AS than to get B's because you spent too much time revising for GCSE resits
Biology- A
Chemistry- A
Physics- A
Maths Apps- A
Maths Methods- A
English Lit- A
English Lang- A
Business- B
Geography- A
German- A
P.E.- C
ICT- A

10 As, 1 B, 1 C.

Thank you xx

Looks like it's gonna be London Met for you :cry2:
Original post by Suprite
My good mate's brother went to LSE to study economics only with 2 A*s at GCSE... that's because he got 5A*s at A level and an amazing personal statement. In my opinion GCSEs aren't nearly important as A levels and your application. Just focus on those. Better to get A's at AS than to get B's because you spent too much time revising for GCSE resits

I agree.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got 8 A's and one C which was in English Lang, will the top uni's or even fairly good ones let me study chemistry after picking chem, bio, economics and maths for a level? I've checked the entry requirements and all seem to only want a C in English
Original post by CrazyFox3
I got 8 A's and one C which was in English Lang, will the top uni's or even fairly good ones let me study chemistry after picking chem, bio, economics and maths for a level? I've checked the entry requirements and all seem to only want a C in English

Yeah, you're sound on the GCSE front apart for like LSE and Oxford cause they're very picky, if you do well at your A-levels then anywhere else, even Cambridge if you're good enough, is a possibility

Idk about oxbridge but i think you have a good chance of getting into other top unis as long as you do well in A levels and have a good personal statement...honestly don't worry so much those are still good grades
Biology- A
Chemistry- A
Physics- A
Maths Apps- A
Maths Methods- A
English Lit- A
English Lang- A
Business- B
Geography- A
German- A
P.E.- C
ICT- A

10 As, 1 B, 1 C.

Thank you xx

I think you have very good chance getting into a top 10 university
I only got 6 GCSEs A* - C grades and also completely failed my AS levels (UUEC). This was a complete wake up call and I resat my first year of sixth form and got BBBE in my AS and ABB in A2. I am now off to Southampton university in September which is a Russell Group. So yes you are fine!
I got 3As, 3Bs and 3Cs, had an interview at Oxford and now studying at LSE
Original post by Redmonds
I got 3As, 3Bs and 3Cs, had an interview at Oxford and now studying at LSE

If Oxford gives you an interview does that mean they're okay with your GCSE results?
Original post by goldenusername
If Oxford gives you an interview does that mean they're okay with your GCSE results?

Oxford (And all the top Unis) will hardly take your GCSE performance into account during the selection process. Your ticket to Uni will be your A level performance. I managed to knuckle down and really focus at AS, coming out with AAAA. Make sure your personal statement is sharp as well, admissions teams at the top Universities will be looking for students who are genuinely passionate about their subjects.

I know Imperial ( a top uni for chemistry) looks for at least a B in English language
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply