The Student Room Group

OCR 21st Century Science B4 B5 B6 10th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

i said the bone marrow because then it can be taken from the patient and therefore it will not be rejected by the patients body. tbh im not 100% sure
Original post by antonyjohny
i said the bone marrow because then it can be taken from the patient and therefore it will not be rejected by the patients body. tbh im not 100% sure

Quality answer really Antony mate. Cracking stuff
Original post by tereziscool
Did you guys choose the umbilical cord as a better alternative because it contains embryonic stem cells??

Yeah I did for the same reason as well
Original post by NiamhM1801
Yeah I did for the same reason as well

Doesn't bone marrow contain stem cells tho, cuz that's where adult stem cells come from
Original post by hannahxxxxxxxxx
Doesn't bone marrow contain stem cells tho, cuz that's where adult stem cells come from

Yeah it does, but they're adult stem cells. Umbilical cords contain embryonic stem cells which can develop in to any type of cell, whereas adult stem cells can develop into many, but not all, types of cell. Therefore embryonic stem cells are better as they're more versatile.
Yeah it does, but they're adult stem cells. Umbilical cords contain embryonic stem cells which can develop in to any type of cell, whereas adult stem cells can develop into many, but not all, types of cell. Therefore embryonic stem cells are better as they're more versatile.

it was so unfair, due to exam stress i forgot an umbilical cord was. They should have specify it was an embryo. Also, what did you get for the four people - i got Cylian?
embryonic have a bigger chance of rejection
Original post by BULL14
it was so unfair, due to exam stress i forgot an umbilical cord was. They should have specify it was an embryo. Also, what did you get for the four people - i got Cylian?

They should have - I guess for people who weren't familiar with the word it would have been pretty hard. For that one I put Amy, everyone seems to have different opinions. The only thing we can all agree on is that it wasn't Simon lmao

Original post by hannahxxxxxxxxx
embryonic have a bigger chance of rejection

Yeah - you could have said that too. There are arguments for both so it didn't matter which you picked as long as you gave a valid reason.
(edited 7 years ago)
They should have - I guess for people who weren't familiar with the word it would have been pretty hard. For that one I put Amy, everyone seems to have different opinions. The only thing we can all agree on is that it wasn't Simon lmao

Yeah - you could have said that too. There are arguments for both so it didn't matter which you picked as long as you gave a valid reason.

Simon LOL - no impulse was sent - lmao this guy was stupid :biggrin:
Hi, does anyone have the mark scheme for this paper yet? Or has it not been released? Thanks, Lewis.
can someone plssssssssss make an unofficial mark schemeeeeee????????
Well, judging by this thread I've definitely failed and can say goodbye to A Level biology:s-smilie:
Original post by queenofmediocre
Well, judging by this thread I've definitely failed and can say goodbye to A Level biology:s-smilie:

Same here :frown:
What did you guys get for the alcohol and methanol one?
Original post by BULL14
What did you guys get for the alcohol and methanol one?

Enzymes are proteins that act as catalysts to speed up reactions by lowering activation energy without altering equilibrium. They bind on to a specific substrate to form an enzyme-substrate complex. Ethanol and methanol have the same substrate (Mark 1). Both of their substrates appear to fit similarly in to the active site of the enzyme given (Mark 2). Because of this the enzyme will then catalyze the reaction for both ethanol and methanol in the same way (Mark 3).

I presume that is what they would give you marks for on that question.
that seems legit.
Well, these grade-boundaries were quite high, weren't they? Aside from June 2014, I can't actually recall another B456 paper with higher grade-boundaries than these ones:

A* - 45
A - 37
B - 29
C - 21
D - 13
E - 9

I hope that everyone got the grade that they wanted - or even better!
(edited 7 years ago)
How did everyone do on this paper?
i got A*s in the first two papers and then an A in the B7 paper, meaning overall i got an A* in biology - i'm ecstatic!! i don't really understand the 'mark equivalent' column on my exam sheet - it went 94, 99, and then 87 for each of the three exams respectively but i thought they were only out of 60. but as long as i got the grade!!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by louisemayorx
i got A*s in the first two papers and then an A in the B7 paper, meaning overall i got an A* in biology - i'm ecstatic!! i don't really understand the 'mark equivalent' column on my exam sheet - it went 94, 99, and then 87 for each of the three exams respectively but i thought they were only out of 60. but as long as i got the grade!!

Well done! :smile:

They always put the UMS for Science modules out of 100; you need to get at least 90 for an A*. You got 280/300, so that puts you 10 marks over the 270 that you needed overall (by averaging 90 for each one).
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending