The Student Room Group

I want to do medicine but I love art

So I am starting a levels next year and am definitely taking biology chemistry and English literature and for my 4 th subject I am so tempted to take art. I am scared it is considered a soft subject and my subjects are not good enough because I haven't taken maths or physics. Should I just forget art.
As long as you cover the subjects needed for medicine I see no reason as to why you shouldn't pick Art as a forth subject.

Alternatively there may be art evening courses available at a nearby college...sometimes vocational art courses can be less stressful than art as an A level because they are assessed by coursework as you go along.

I think it's good to keep an open mind in case at a later point your plans change.*
It's fine, go for it.
It's fine. As far as I was ever aware, Art isn't a 'soft' subject either; it obviously doesn't have the academic requirements of sciences/English/History, but it's still respectable. The only thing I would say is that A-level Art is extremely time-consuming; make sure that you organise your time well if you go down this route, as you don't want to end up sacrificing a good grade in one of your other subjects.
“There comes a time when you ought to start doing what you want. Take a job that you love. You will jump out of bed in the morning. I think you are out of your mind if you keep taking jobs that you don't like because you think it will look good on your resume. Isn't that a little like saving up sex for your old age?”

Warren Buffett
Original post by ppjk
So I am starting a levels next year and am definitely taking biology chemistry and English literature and for my 4 th subject I am so tempted to take art. I am scared it is considered a soft subject and my subjects are not good enough because I haven't taken maths or physics. Should I just forget art.

I was in the exact same position as you when I chose my a-levels two years ago. My teachers (and myself) wanted me to take art, but I already knew I was taking the sciences as well and I could not decide whether to take art or physics. In the end I chose against taking art as, although I was really passionate about art, it is a) not seen as a 'facilitating' subject by most top end universities and b) art as a subject is incredibly time-consuming (even GCSE I found really stressful) and I would definitely not want it to get in the way of my sciences as they are more likely to be the subjects that would be included in an offer. Also, with the new a-level reforms if you chose to take a full four subjects you would have to carry all on to A2 which my prove stressful. Given the incredibly competitive subject you are intending to pursue I would personally take another sciencey subject just in case one of the grades in one of them do not go how you want it to. However, that being said, if you truly really enjoy it more than another sciencey subject and you feel you could handle the workload then I'm sure you would be fine if you took it. It may even provide some escapism from the other difficult subjects you have taken :smile:
Reply 6
I reckon, as long as you meet the requirements for the medical course (make sure they don't need maths), I think you'll be fine with art. You clearly love it. Besides, a medical student or doctor needs to have hobbies and interests outside the subject. And medicine is one of those careers which (I think) leaves a bit of customisation, by which I mean that you don't need to give art up during your studies and work. The A level changes mean that it's a 2-year course and so, perhaps, harder, but honestly? I think that 4 subjects over 2 years is definitely doable.

Definitely double-check you don't need maths. That's my only concern.

Otherwise, if you think you can handle the workload, go for it! And besides, chemistry and biology are hard so having art there to break it up a bit would help you mentally cope, seeing as you love it.
Original post by andysan
I reckon, as long as you meet the requirements for the medical course (make sure they don't need maths), I think you'll be fine with art. You clearly love it. Besides, a medical student or doctor needs to have hobbies and interests outside the subject. And medicine is one of those careers which (I think) leaves a bit of customisation, by which I mean that you don't need to give art up during your studies and work. The A level changes mean that it's a 2-year course and so, perhaps, harder, but honestly? I think that 4 subjects over 2 years is definitely doable.

Definitely double-check you don't need maths. That's my only concern.

Otherwise, if you think you can handle the workload, go for it! And besides, chemistry and biology are hard so having art there to break it up a bit would help you mentally cope, seeing as you love it.

They definitely don't need maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Did anyone do art a level and get in to medicine

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending