The Student Room Group

Should I do 3 or 4 A-levels?

Today I found out my GCSE results - 6A* and 4A which i am OVER THE MOON with but now i have to start thinking about my a-levels.

I wanted people's opinions on whether doing 4 is a good idea. Surely if unis only ask for three then it's better to focus my time on just three rather than getting overwhelmed with 4. also the three that i am sure i'm taking are set in stone for me and i think i would just be picking a fourth for the sake of it. my sister told me how difficult a-levels are compares to GCSEs and that i would regret picking four bearing in mind i would not be allowed to drop one after the first year. what do you think?

(reading this back, i feel like my mind has already made it's decision but i would still like to hear your thoughts!)
4 a levels
You do 4 A Levels and then drop one, usually, at the end of the first year. This is best to do as if you fail or do worse in one AS, you have a backup option. AS grades also give you tariff points and so are worth having.
defo do 4. i got 3 A*'s and 6 A's and i was strongly recommended to do 4 by some very reliable sources, you'll do fine!
Do 4, and if you're not feeling it speak to the teachers or something and they will probably let u drop it after a few weeks. Also depending on which university you want to go to, a lot of them like to add something like "most of the students have 4 a levels" and like, if they did it, so can you. You get me?

Posted from TSR Mobile
People here don't seem to realise there's a new system. It depends on how heavy the courses you want to do are. If they're all essay-based it may get a bit difficult, whereas if you have a mixture I think you'll be fine. Judging by your grades (well done by the way) you're more than capable of doing four so if you want to then go for it. However, it is worth noting that universities won't care that it's more stressful if you don't get the grades they want and you're more likely to get them with only three. :smile:
Original post by NataliaMSR
People here don't seem to realise there's a new system. It depends on how heavy the courses you want to do are. If they're all essay-based it may get a bit difficult, whereas if you have a mixture I think you'll be fine. Judging by your grades (well done by the way) you're more than capable of doing four so if you want to then go for it. However, it is worth noting that universities won't care that it's more stressful if you don't get the grades they want and you're more likely to get them with only three. :smile:

thank you, i'm glad all that revision paid off!

and yes i think mine are all very essay-based - history, psychology and english lit. my only other options really for a fourth would be biology (more likely, fits with psychology) or maths (VERY less likely but still does fit woth psychology). it's just i thought that the new system meant i wasnt allowed to drop one, but i think i can it just said that it 'won't count towards my grade' or something. but i do get what people are saying about it gives me another option for the second year if one doesn't go to plan, but that may have been caused by having too much work!
Original post by Anonymouuuuus
Do 4, and if you're not feeling it speak to the teachers or something and they will probably let u drop it after a few weeks. Also depending on which university you want to go to, a lot of them like to add something like "most of the students have 4 a levels" and like, if they did it, so can you. You get me?

Posted from TSR Mobile

i guess there is no harm in just picking it for now rather than regretting leaving it - i can just see what it's like. who knows, i may prefer the fourth option to one of my origina three!
Do whatever you want, I'm going 5 and me know I will be fine once I get my bearings and balance when I go back, If you wanna to 3 do there, wanna do 4, do four...wanna do four from AS to A2 go ahead, only you know what you're capable of and what you can and can not do tbh. If you can manage it them cool....
the only problem is to pick carefully, if you pick one or two you don't like you can become demotivated to not do them and that will affect you negatively

Other than that, you should be fine you can do it I believe in you

Most colleges and some sixth forms are still entering people for the AS exam. Two out of four of my subjects were new 2 year courses but I still did the AS and therefore dropped one of my four. AS exams are being treated like mocks for the full two year course, for the majority of people I've spoken to even at other exam centres.
Reply 11

This answer is brilliant but I need your advice, I got 2A*, 5A, 2B, 2C for my GCSE results. I want to take Maths, Chemistry and Biology for A Levels to go on to do Medicine. I got A's in Maths, Chemistry and Biology GCSE. I'm aiming for AAA in A Levels minimum, but preferabbly A*AA and I understand it'll be very, very hard work. Do you recommend me to take a 4th A Level (is it better for Medicine applicants , as the field is very competitive?) or is it better if I focus on these 3 A Levels (which, in my opinion, is the hardest combination of subjects out there for A Level) and get top grades?

Quick Reply

Latest