The Student Room Group

English Language Remark. Is it worth it?

In English Language I got 268 UMS which was one mark off an A*. I got:

71/80 for coursework = 106 UMS (although that can't change)

55/80 on the exam = 162 UMS

I'm one mark off an A*, as an extra mark on the exam would take me to 272 UMS. Is it worth getting the exam paper remarked? What experiences have people had doing something similar?

I'm feeling it's worth the risk. I appreciate it could end up going down, but hopefully not by enough to drop to a B in the worst case scenario.

Any advice/sharing of similar experiences would be appreciated.

May as well go for it in my opinion. As you say it might go up, but it's quite unlikely to go down. English is quite subjective, so while there have been some changes to the system meaning that marks will only increase if the person marking was clearly being unreasonable/making a mistake, you never know. Fingers crossed it comes back as an A* for you :smile:
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
May as well go for it in my opinion. As you say it might go up, but it's quite unlikely to go down. English is quite subjective, so while there have been some changes to the system meaning that marks will only increase if the person marking was clearly being unreasonable/making a mistake, you never know. Fingers crossed it comes back as an A* for you :smile:

What changes have there been to the system?

Would someone just look over it again and give their mark or do they know the original mark when they remark the paper and see if they agree?

I am hoping that within Q 5&6 there is a chance of an extra mark, because of creative writing marking being subjective as you said, even if it was just for the SPAG.

Thanks for the advice :smile:
Original post by Spidersmudge

Would someone just look over it again and give their mark or do they know the original mark when they remark the paper and see if they agree?

I am hoping that within Q 5&6 there is a chance of an extra mark, because of creative writing marking being subjective as you said, even if it was just for the SPAG.

Thanks for the advice :smile:

I know for a fact, that a completely different person remark's it for you, so it decreases the chances of the same mark.

Also, I think they do other checks on it.
Original post by Spidersmudge
You can read about it here :smile:

I'm not sure about that actually, sorry.
Original post by OtakuFreak
I know for a fact, that a completely different person remark's it for you, so it decreases the chances of the same mark.

Also, I think they do other checks on it.

Like if it has been added up correctly I'm guessing? It would be interesting to know if they know what mark you previously got, like if the paper is annotated and they know exactly the awarded mark. I feel like if it was me remarking the exam papers I would be looking for every little chance to find marks. I had a friend go up by 12 marks last year. It's quite scary that a paper can be marked that wide of the mark!

What is annoying me is I feel like for our early coursework pieces the teacher marked a few marks lower to leave herself somewhere to go, and even though I got full marks in the last two, the first two mean I was one mark short of what I needed. The frustration is large when you drop 3-4 marks on a coursework piece, yet the teacher is completely unable to give any reason why that was the case :/
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
You can read about it here :smile:

I'm not sure about that actually, sorry.

Thanks for the link, even if it does have me wondering if I'll just end up with the same mark... I'll still go for it I think :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest