The Student Room Group

What GCSE result are you most surprised of?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rajive
English literature- got an F in the mock exam in March somehow was able to pull off an A...:s-smilie:

Got A* in English Lit without reading any of the books!:tongue: I got full UMS for lord of the flies!
Also, I am crap at computing, I expected a D/E but got a B overall.:smile:
Well done for your A!:biggrin:
Reply 41
English Language and RS, got a D in English and a B in RS, but managed to achieve an A (1 mark off an A*) in English paper and an A* in RS :smile: I did do lots of revision for both subjects so this isn't a miracle :P
B in maths! I'd began achieving Bs in assignments, and got a B in my mocks, but the grade boundaries were hella high this year.

Also C in Additional Science! This is because I practically had to teach myself the course...
Reply 43
Predicted a D in Computer Science mock

Came out with an A in the end. :smile:
got Ds in music all through year 10, somehow came out with an A*. haven't shut up about it all day lol
A* in Art and Design - i had to reach so hard to try to find a link between the exam theme and what i chose to do for it - fruit. the examiner must have believed in my deep meaning rubbish when really, i just wanted to draw fruit.
A in geography:smile:
I did not revise for geography hated it tot the extent that every time i picked up a textbook I'd start contemplating my life choices like why the hell i picked the subject. I honestly only revised the hour before the exam. I even told my parents and my geog teacher to expect a D in geography
Original post by MeganLouise4
Different approach here, I'm surprised I only got a C in drama. And as horrible as it is; I blame my teacher. She favourited about 5 students and those students always got the most practice to explore drama and play main roles. Everybody else was cast aside and not given the light of day. I wish she had treated us all as equals and let us come out of our cage more, if we weren't good enough, tough. We wouldn't receive enough help to succeed. I truly believe I deserved a B and I'm so bummed out that I didn't get it.

There's one guy in my year who always has to be centre stage and he's amazing but got a B for performance and that was the highest grade in my year. One girl in his group had about five lines and... Well it went a lot worse. I got a C for performance but B overall but Drama's so unpredictable. The marking this year was actually really harsh so don't worry about it. Although the teacher does sound bad.
The fact that you got a C without needing the spotlights shows you did well :smile:
Definitely Economics. For somebody who was achieving B's at what I thought was my maximum effort, I came out with an A*.
It's funny how things work out.
German - predicted a C and somehow managed an A*
Reply 50
Original post by csgoisdabomb
German - predicted a C and somehow managed an A*

I think I just read your story.
Well done
Maths. In mocks I had never gotten above a solid B and as the grade boundary for an A increased from 125 to 140 I convinced myself all summer that I wasn't going to get an A (I didn't think I did well in the exam either). When I opened my results this morning...I got an A! Very shocked, however I want to know what mark I got! (For some reason a lot of edexcel students weren't given the ums points for it)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 52
Original post by Faithyxox
Maths. In mocks I had never gotten above a solid B and as the grade boundary for an A increased from 125 to 140 I convinced myself all summer that I wasn't going to get an A (I didn't think I did well in the exam either). When I opened my results this morning...I got an A! Very shocked, however I want to know what mark I got! (For some reason a lot of edexcel students weren't given the ums points for it)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got an A as well. We weren't given the raw marks as well but I really want to know though. Our school told us to come back in September.
Reply 53
Back in the olden times of 2013 when I got them I wasn't surprised by anything. Night before I was thinking to myself in bed "7 A*s, 3As", in certain subjects, of course, and I got exactly what I was thinking of.
Original post by iEthan
Hey there,

First of all… well done for getting a B in the controlled assessment! Computing isn't easy and the controlled assessment is a complete pain in the backside! Secondly, I'm sorry to hear you didn't do as well as you'd hoped. But the fact you're opting to retake it is brilliant and shows your dedication to the subject. If you ever need any help, or you have questions… come and speak to me and I'll see if I can point you in the right direction! :h:

Thankyou so much! I spoke to my teacher and she said our school doesn't do resits for computing. And I would have to redo the controlled assessments anyway :frown:. It's just really annoying because the rest of my grades are As and a few A*s. Do you think any top universities would accept me because of that one D (Computing is not needed for what I want to do at university) even though the rest of my grades are good :/
A in Maths! Started off this year on a D! :smile:
Original post by NataliaMSR
There's one guy in my year who always has to be centre stage and he's amazing but got a B for performance and that was the highest grade in my year. One girl in his group had about five lines and... Well it went a lot worse. I got a C for performance but B overall but Drama's so unpredictable. The marking this year was actually really harsh so don't worry about it. Although the teacher does sound bad.
The fact that you got a C without needing the spotlights shows you did well :smile:

Thank you so much, that's given me a huge confidence boost. Our teachers predicted our grades for us to have a rough idea and she told me a B, the marking was quite harsh :/
What is CIE playing at?
Mine is a negative surprise...in PE I got a D in the practical but an A*in theory which meant overall a B. I honestly didn't know I was that bad at sport seeing as I was in the school hockey and rounders team
Reply 59
Original post by AnnemarieV
Mine is a negative surprise...in PE I got a D in the practical but an A*in theory which meant overall a B. I honestly didn't know I was that bad at sport seeing as I was in the school hockey and rounders team

Edexcel?

Quick Reply

Latest