The Student Room Group

In a bit of a pickle... sorta

I'll start by saying I'm a 24 year old soon to be a 25 year old mature student in September.. who will be studying Graphic design at uni but I spent this last year taking night classes for english language whilst also doing an apprenticeship in social media marketing to pass the time/gain experience in the client sorta scenario.. plus something to stick on my cv.

So anyway jump to results day... I received my results but opened the letter to be slapped in the face with another D / 177 Ums, which I think may be 3 Ums off a C which also my friend claims 3 Ums is converted into 1 mark when calculating , so am I 1/3 marks off the C I wanted? it was 4707 English unit if you need to know.

Anyways....

Is it worth me emailing the other English tutor at college to remark it? bare in mind my actual tutor has left as she moved away, but that doesn't matter anyway.

So do you think I should even bother worrying about this? with university in almost 2 weeks should I just leave it and move on or... just request the remark anyway since I got into uni anyway from Ucas points. [the only negative here is it could be a waste of money if nothing changes].

Also I will have to now go take a level 2 skills test for my apprenticeship since I didn't get the C so they cant give me the certificate for the apprenticeship, another kick in the balls for not getting the C, but this should hopefully be taken care of next week when I do the key skills test.

TLDR.. Should I request my GCSE English Language be remarked with it being very close to the grade boundaries 177/180 = C? or just not bother and go to Uni and hope it doesn't come back to bite me in several years..

Thanks for reading, long time lurker through the year but decided to make an account because of this, I need some advice.
Original post by midsy
I'll start by saying I'm a 24 year old soon to be a 25 year old mature student in September.. who will be studying Graphic design at uni but I spent this last year taking night classes for english language whilst also doing an apprenticeship in social media marketing to pass the time/gain experience in the client sorta scenario.. plus something to stick on my cv.

So anyway jump to results day... I received my results but opened the letter to be slapped in the face with another D / 177 Ums, which I think may be 3 Ums off a C which also my friend claims 3 Ums is converted into 1 mark when calculating , so am I 1/3 marks off the C I wanted? it was 4707 English unit if you need to know.

Anyways....

Is it worth me emailing the other English tutor at college to remark it? bare in mind my actual tutor has left as she moved away, but that doesn't matter anyway.

So do you think I should even bother worrying about this? with university in almost 2 weeks should I just leave it and move on or... just request the remark anyway since I got into uni anyway from Ucas points. [the only negative here is it could be a waste of money if nothing changes].

Also I will have to now go take a level 2 skills test for my apprenticeship since I didn't get the C so they cant give me the certificate for the apprenticeship, another kick in the balls for not getting the C, but this should hopefully be taken care of next week when I do the key skills test.

TLDR.. Should I request my GCSE English Language be remarked with it being very close to the grade boundaries 177/180 = C? or just not bother and go to Uni and hope it doesn't come back to bite me in several years..

Thanks for reading, long time lurker through the year but decided to make an account because of this, I need some advice.

You have nothing to lose by asking for a remark so just do it. Better safe than sorry.
Reply 2
Original post by midsy

Your remark won't be done by your college tutor, so that isn't an issue. Your college will request a remark from your exam board, who will have the remark done by an anonymous marker.

Many unis want GCSE English and Maths at grade C or above. However if that isn't specified in your uni offer, then it's irrelevant for uni. Your problem may come later, as many employers also now look for those GCSE grades as an indicator of basic numeracy and literacy.

It's probably a good idea to request a remark, just to try and get the grade C in place for future employment.

Be aware that you aren't guaranteed to have your grade increased. A remark can also result in your grade going down. However you don't appear to have much to lose so in your place I'd go for it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending