The Student Room Group

What would be your reaction if your son came out as gay?

Scroll to see replies

Why is it portrayed as being wrong in the bible if it's a biological trait that can't be changed?
Reply 21
I'd be supportive
Original post by loveleest
Why is it portrayed as being wrong in the bible if it's a biological trait that can't be changed?

A common misconception. Being homosexual isn't a sin anymore than being heterosexual is. Engaging in homosexual sex is a sin just like fornication, adultery etc
Reply 23
And eating shellfish xD
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
And eating shellfish xD

And wearing mixed fabric clothing :tongue:
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
And eating shellfish xD

And wearing mixed fabric clothing :tongue:

That's OT stuff, homosexual sex is still a sin in the NT
Are all the others not sins too? Why is it fair to choose which sin is bigger than the other?
Are all the others not sins too? Why is it fair to choose which sin is bigger than the other?

No. Why? Because the OT law was divided into three seperate parts, one was the ''civil'' part and pertains to the commandments in the OT relating to crime, property inheritance etc, the second was ''ceremonial'' and only applied to the priestly class and the last was the ''moral'' class which covered sins such as lying, murder, adultery etc. The first two were designed for the Israelites at that time under a theocratic government and were fulfilled when Christ came and died on the cross. However, the moral part of God's law still stands and sexual practices fall under it
It is not biological, no child is born gay.
Reply 29
It is? Oh dear; I thought the NT was rather agreeable for the most part.
"I'm still getting grandkids right?"
Original post by The_Opinion
It is not biological, no child is born gay.

There is ample scientific evidence to prove that homosexuality has a biological component to it. Not genetic, but biological nonetheless, hormones in the womb. Taking a homosexual child to 'conversion therapy' and trying to make them heterosexual is like trying to make my hair naturally brunette instead of red
Reply 32
Wouldn't bat an eyelid. I'd thank him for being able to be honest, but say that it doesn't change him at all in my eyes. Falling in love is the same either way.
Original post by #ChaosKass
I'd be deeply disappointed, as if I have children I shall bring them up to live a proper conservative Christian lifestyle based around morals, values, loyalty, dignity, and courage.

As the Bible says, homosexuality is a sin and so my first port of call would be conversion therapy, if that doesn't work then who knows. I wouldn't go as far as disowning them but I'd deeply discourage them from partaking in any homosexual behaviour and would make sure they keep their sexuality to themselves.

good old religion huh, screw the happiness of your kid, just keep sky man happy :smile:
Introduce him to my gay friend so they can do the gay tings
I think a lot of you here don't as yet, have children and so you are basing your reaction on how you think you might react, but, in reality, I think the majority of you would feel very differently to what you have posted here.
I have 7 children and two of them are gay. I have always known this from when both were very young and so did their siblings.
I love ALL of my children, Regardless of their sexual orientation.
Dunno really, would probably be a bit awkward between us for a few days I guess?

Posted from TSR Mobile
There is no gay gene, no child is born gay.

It is possibly to "design" a baby to have brown hair, green eyes etc., it is not possible to design that baby to be gay. I have no idea why you are yapping on about therapy.
I would probably give it up for adoption of i knew when it was a child. I'm not one of those people to really get attached to kids, as my parents got divorced when I was quite young and although I get on pretty well with my dad, I don't think I could play that role full time. So even if the kid was straight I would probably try and pack it off to boarding school somewhere. It works for everyone if the child just goes somewhere where it's wanted and loved, as many people can't have children and then no conflict will occur.
(edited 7 years ago)
Tell him that I love him no matter what and that his sexual orientation makes no difference.

Quick Reply

Latest