The Student Room Group

Placement Year vs Free Uni

January 2017 EU applicant here who is looking to do Civil Engineering. I took the summer to do research for where I'd like to apply for uni, and I even got to visit a few. I've come up with a list of the ones I've liked, and the amount they would cost per year (after academic scholarships and bursaries etc):

- Swansea (3150)
- Cardiff (3800)
- Leeds (6000-6250)
- Newcastle (6000)
- Queen's Belfast (3925)
- Edinburgh (1820/free)
- Glasgow
(1820/free)

Here's the deal, since Scottish unis last a year longer, you don't have the possibility of doing a paid placement year. This year would be incredibly helpful for me both in terms of future job prospects, as well as finance. Estimates for how much you would be paid annually are 13-20k, according to uni sites.

On the other hand, going to a uni in Scotland would mean I would most likely have no student debt to have to be paying off. I'd save a buttload of money.

Which option do you think is better?
Original post by KardasDragon
January 2017 EU applicant here who is looking to do Civil Engineering. I took the summer to do research for where I'd like to apply for uni, and I even got to visit a few. I've come up with a list of the ones I've liked, and the amount they would cost per year (after academic scholarships and bursaries etc):

- Swansea (3150)
- Cardiff (3800)
- Leeds (6000-6250)
- Newcastle (6000)
- Queen's Belfast (3925)
- Edinburgh (1820/free)
- Glasgow
(1820/free)

Here's the deal, since Scottish unis last a year longer, you don't have the possibility of doing a paid placement year. This year would be incredibly helpful for me both in terms of future job prospects, as well as finance. Estimates for how much you would be paid annually are 13-20k, according to uni sites.

On the other hand, going to a uni in Scotland would mean I would most likely have no student debt to have to be paying off. I'd save a buttload of money.

Lack of a placement year certainly doesn't impact on the employability of Scotland's engineering departments. You can work over the summer, and I'm sure that some universities also require you to complete placements during the semester too.
Reply 2
Original post by KardasDragon

- Swansea (3150)
- Cardiff (3800)
- Leeds (6000-6250)
- Newcastle (6000)
- Queen's Belfast (3925)
- Edinburgh (1820/free)
- Glasgow
(1820/free)

Entry requirements for EU students at Scottish universities are often very high.

What bursaries are you getting at English universities to bring the tuition fees down? And you should qualify for the SFE full tuition fee loan anyway.

Have you also budgeted for accommodation and living costs?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Entry requirements for EU students at Scottish universities are often very high.

What bursaries are you getting at English universities to bring the tuition fees down? And you should qualify for the SFE full tuition fee loan anyway.

Have you also budgeted for accommodation and living costs?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Leeds and Newcastle I'd be getting 2k off each year as part of the income related bursaries (goes for EU students as well!). The former gives me a tuition fee discount while the latter would give it to me as a cash bursary.

Next I'd also be getting an academic achievement related bursary (assuming I keep my grades the same level they are now, which I will) from 750-1k a year, in cash.

I know I quality for the full loan, but it would be quite nice to go someplace where I wouldn't leave with a large debt.

Monthly I should have a budget between 789-959GBP (Danish govt gives a combo of maintenance grant and loan). Accomodation in first year halls (ensuite) varies from 98(Cardiff) to 137 (Glasgow). I guess I can go standard but i feel if i can afford ensuite i shouldn't pass it up.
You should check if the maintenance from the Danish government applies if you're studying outside of Denmark, my guess would be that it doesn't or there would be tonnes of Danes studying in the UK and Ireland.

Also you're overestimating the value of placement years quite a bit, have a wonder around unistats and you'll see that they're bit a massive advantage, plus you'll be spending a fairly high proportion of your salary on general living and I've yet to meet someone doing a placement year in STEM that has enjoyed the experience.

That said Swansea seems like the best bet as it's a university with a strong engineering reputation, it's cheap and it takes less time than Scottish unis.

Quick Reply

Latest