Physics: A*
Statistics: A
Computing: A
Spanish: A
Geography: A
English Literature: A
English Languge: B
Economics: B

I've decided to go to Sixth form and the options I've chosen are: Physics, Maths and Further Maths.

Do you think that these GCSE's would be enough for say, Oxford or Cambridge?

And, what A level grades would I need in these subjects, again, for Oxford and Cambridge?

Appreciated.
Original post by Hasib_332
Hey, I just got my GCSE Results today and they're not too bad:

Mathematics: A*
Biology: A*
Chemistry: A*

I've decided to go to Sixth form and the options I've chosen are: Physics, Maths and Further Maths.

And, what A level grades would I need in these subjects, again, for Oxford and Cambridge?

Appreciated.

What course are you looking at?
Reply 2
Original post by _gcx
What course are you looking at?

Computing (Software Development)
Reply 3
I am doing the exact same a level as you but my gcse is rubbish

Posted from TSR Mobile

Appreciated.

Most top universities want you to have a fourth subject if you are taking maths and further maths, and are not doing the actual maths course at uni. Not always required but can definitely make your application less competitive with maths and further maths - than someone doing contrasting a levels.
Oxbridge look for at least 4 AS subjects as it shows a stronger academic profile. This is because it is expected nationally that students take 4 AS subjects and then drop one when transitioning into year 13 and completing A-Levels. With 3 AS Levels I doubt Oxbridge would even consider you as most students who apply for Oxbridge tend to study 5 subjects at AS and 4 subjects at A-Level.
Reply 6
Original post by elleinterrupted
Most top universities want you to have a fourth subject if you are taking maths and further maths, and are not doing the actual maths course at uni. Not always required but can definitely make your application less competitive with maths and further maths - than someone doing contrasting a levels.

I see where you're coming from, appreciate the contribution.
Pick up chemistry

Appreciated.

Those A-levels are decent for Maths, Physics and Engineering, Oxford place more focus on GCSEs than Cambridge but they're fine for Oxford, you should be looking at getting AAA at AS with an average UMS in each subject around 270/300

Appreciated.

GCSEs are good.
You would need A*A*A for Cambridge and A*AA-A*A*A for Oxford (depending on the course at Oxford).

Posted from TSR Mobile
"Oxbridge look for at least 4 AS subjects as it shows a stronger academic profile." is not true.

Oxford say: "A fourth subject to AS-level has never been a requirement at Oxford. Some candidates do take additional AS-levels, A-levels, or other qualifications such as the EPQ. Additional qualifications can be one way of demonstrating the academic abilities that will be required for the intense studying of an Oxford degree but they are not essential" (source)
Cambridge (Peterhouse admissions) say "Do whatever your school's policy is." (source)
It isn't about what the institution say, it's about the level of competitiveness these places bring, with students taking more AS subject and getting a good grade in them shows their willingness to learn and helps portray their academic profile a lot better. Therefore Oxford are more likely to accept someone who have taken 4 AS levels than someone only doing 3.
Reply 12
Original post by ollie1024
It isn't about what the institution say, it's about the level of competitiveness these places bring, with students taking more AS subject and getting a good grade in them shows their willingness to learn and helps portray their academic profile a lot better. Therefore Oxford are more likely to accept someone who have taken 4 AS levels than someone only doing 3.

This isn't the case. Oxford have no particular interest in whether a student takes a fourth AS or A2. This is precisely why they have admissions tests and interviews, because having a fourth A-level or not doesn't correlate particularly well with performance on degree and in any case can be just a matter of school/college policy. An admissions decision for Computer Science at Oxford would be much more down to performance in the MAT and in interviews.
(edited 7 years ago)

Appreciated.

Those are excellent results! They are a tad below what is average for successful candidates for Computer Science at Oxford, but within the range we typically see. However (despite the Internet myths) we do not put that much weight on GCSEs. The MAT and interviews are the most important parts of the admissions process.

Gavin
Original post by gavinlowe
Those are excellent results! They are a tad below what is average for successful candidates for Computer Science at Oxford, but within the range we typically see. However (despite the Internet myths) we do not put that much weight on GCSEs. The MAT and interviews are the most important parts of the admissions process.

Gavin
Are you an Oxford representative on TSR?
Original post by Dynamic_Vicz
Are you an Oxford representative on TSR?

Not really a representative in any formal sense. But I'm a Computer Science tutor and admissions coordinator (see my sig).

Gavin
Original post by gavinlowe
Not really a representative in any formal sense. But I'm a Computer Science tutor and admissions coordinator (see my sig).

Gavin

I got 5A*s and 6A's at GCSE yesterday and I wondered if you would be able to tell me if these grades were good enough for a geography degree at Oxford (along with some hopefully good grades in facilitating subjects at A) or if they would disregard me based on my GCSEs? Many thanks
Original post by Francesca99x
I got 5A*s and 6A's at GCSE yesterday and I wondered if you would be able to tell me if these grades were good enough for a geography degree at Oxford (along with some hopefully good grades in facilitating subjects at A) or if they would disregard me based on my GCSEs? Many thanks

Sorry, it's not my subject, so I don't really know. But that looks pretty good do me. I suggest you mail the Department or go along to an open day.

Gavin

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending