The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Could i recieve an unconditional offer?

Just wondering would i have a chance of recieving an unconditional offer for chem eng ?

gcse - 6a*2a2b

AS
maths - A
chem - B
bio- B
physics - B

Predicted A2 grades ( as ive been told so far)

Maths A/A*
Chem A
Physics/bio A

very good( imo) and unique persoanl statement aswell

also would taking 4 subjects instead of 3 increase my chance of recieving an unconditional offer??

Thank you very much

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Where do you want to go?
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Original post by MathSci1999
Just wondering would i have a chance of recieving an unconditional offer for chem eng ?

gcse - 6a*2a2b

AS
maths - A
chem - B
bio- B
physics - B

Maths A/A*
Chem A
Physics/bio A

also would taking 4 subjects instead of 3 increase my chance of recieving an unconditional offer??

Thank you very much

No they are quite rare you will probably get conditional offers from top unis though
Original post by Will2610
Where do you want to go?

Thanks for the reply :smile:

I want to go to Nottingham preferbly.
Original post by LPauling
No they are quite rare you will probably get conditional offers from top unis though

Thanks for the reply :smile:

Ahh, well thank you for the imput, very much appreatiated :smile:
Reply 5
Unconditional is typically if you already have your A Level grades, usually for gap year students and the likes :smile:
Reply 6
You might from Nottingham, i had a friend who was predicted the same and he got an unconditional from Birmingham :smile:
Original post by vlb206
Unconditional is typically if you already have your A Level grades, usually for gap year students and the likes :smile:

Ahh, thank you for the reply :smile:
Original post by Will2610
You might from Nottingham, i had a friend who was predicted the same and he got an unconditional from Birmingham :smile:

Well i have some slight hope i suppose, thank you for the reply :smile:
Reply 9

gcse - 6a*2a2b

AS
maths - A
chem - B
bio- B
physics - B

Maths A/A*
Chem A
Physics/bio A

Thank you very much

There is a possibility, the only catch is that you have to make them your firm choice. I did get an unconditional from them originally for natural sciences( I can't say all departments give them out!!)
I'm sure GCSEs are considered, I got 8 A*s, and personal statement must also count. At AS I got AAAD, (D in maths, not important for my course) so your AS levels are still very good.
I wouldn't recommend taking 4 a levels, there's a chance you will get lower grades across 4 compared to 3. It wouldn't increase your unconditional offer chance since that's based on what you already have (maybe predicted grades also) and if you didn't get an unconditional it means you have to get the grades.
There is a difference from AS to A2 which I found out the hard way last week. I declined my unconditional from Nottingham since I didn't want to make them firm and as an insurance it wouldn't be wise since they'd want A*AA for NatSci. My firm was Durham (A*AA) and insurance UCL (AAA) but I got AAB (bio/geog/chem) so didn't get into either. But I managed to get an offer for natural sciences again at Nottingham again via clearing despite my grades, so it's not all bad then I guess! I just hope I get over my disappointment in failing chemistry, and missing both offers, soon enough before I start!

If you're still unsure then do ring the department to see if they give them out. The staff I have dealt with so far are mostly very nice and helpful, and have no grudges against me for declining them first time around.
How can you be so sure your PS is very good and unique lol.
Reply 11
Here's the website for the scheme:
http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugapplicants/i-have-an-offer/high-achievers.aspx

I think it's best to ask the department first, since the website says 'for a select number of courses' - but I can't seem to find a list.

Good luck!
Original post by MrLintonJones
How can you be so sure your PS is very good and unique lol.

Because ive done things that no other a level student would have even thouhgt about doing.
Original post by bj1
There is a possibility, the only catch is that you have to make them your firm choice. I did get an unconditional from them originally for natural sciences( I can't say all departments give them out!!)
I'm sure GCSEs are considered, I got 8 A*s, and personal statement must also count. At AS I got AAAD, (D in maths, not important for my course) so your AS levels are still very good.
I wouldn't recommend taking 4 a levels, there's a chance you will get lower grades across 4 compared to 3. It wouldn't increase your unconditional offer chance since that's based on what you already have (maybe predicted grades also) and if you didn't get an unconditional it means you have to get the grades.
There is a difference from AS to A2 which I found out the hard way last week. I declined my unconditional from Nottingham since I didn't want to make them firm and as an insurance it wouldn't be wise since they'd want A*AA for NatSci. My firm was Durham (A*AA) and insurance UCL (AAA) but I got AAB (bio/geog/chem) so didn't get into either. But I managed to get an offer for natural sciences again at Nottingham again via clearing despite my grades, so it's not all bad then I guess! I just hope I get over my disappointment in failing chemistry, and missing both offers, soon enough before I start!

If you're still unsure then do ring the department to see if they give them out. The staff I have dealt with so far are mostly very nice and helpful, and have no grudges against me for declining them first time around.

thanks for the imput and yh ill have have a chance atleast.

Also could i ask when you started fully revising thsi year ?? like what month ??? and how come you didnt manage to get the grades you were predicted , was it lack of work or just being unable to get it?? thank you very much for the reply
Original post by bj1
Here's the website for the scheme:
http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugapplicants/i-have-an-offer/high-achievers.aspx

I think it's best to ask the department first, since the website says 'for a select number of courses' - but I can't seem to find a list.

Good luck!

once again , thank you very much .
Because ive done things that no other a level student would have even thouhgt about doing.

Like what? Not trying to be nasty, just realistic. There are thousands of A Level students and no matter how impressive you think you are, there are lots of impressive people out there. Unconditional offers are usually for those who have already completed their A Levels.

My advice would never be aim for an unconditional offer in any case. Lots of graduate jobs require minimum A Levels for you to even be considered. Some of the top top law firms for example ask for AAA at A Level for you to even apply. You should therefore put yourself in a situation where you can get the best grades you're capable of. Having the motivation to need certain grades to get into university helps that. Being able to coast into university on whatever grades you want because your offer is unconditional does not motivate that. So ask yourself why you would want an unconditional offer in the first place.
Original post by MrLintonJones
Like what? Not trying to be nasty, just realistic. There are thousands of A Level students and no matter how impressive you think you are, there are lots of impressive people out there. Unconditional offers are usually for those who have already completed their A Levels.

My advice would never be aim for an unconditional offer in any case. Lots of graduate jobs require minimum A Levels for you to even be considered. Some of the top top law firms for example ask for AAA at A Level for you to even apply. You should therefore put yourself in a situation where you can get the best grades you're capable of. Having the motivation to need certain grades to get into university helps that. Being able to coast into university on whatever grades you want because your offer is unconditional does not motivate that. So ask yourself why you would want an unconditional offer in the first place.

yes its fine, i understand.

I sent you a pm listing the things i was referring to.

Also the reason i want the unconditional is becuase i have a holiday planned after A2 exams and i just want to be able to be stress free after my exams.
Also it allows me to plan for things more carefully, such as accomdation and stuff, just with the relief that i will defo have aplace.

I will be equally motivated to do my best, and hopefully i will try my best this year
I think usually universities give out unconditional offers if they believe the person is an oxbridge candidate, with the hope that the candidates comes to them instead of oxbridge.
Reply 18
thanks for the imput and yh ill have have a chance atleast.

Also could i ask when you started fully revising thsi year ?? like what month ??? and how come you didnt manage to get the grades you were predicted , was it lack of work or just being unable to get it?? thank you very much for the reply

You're welcome, though I don't appreciate being accused of 'lack of work' - I did every single past paper under the sun for chemistry but it was my most difficult subject this year. Revision really started after mocks, say Jan-Feb.
I can only put it down to OCR shifting the grade boundaries through the roof, and a 'low A' grade last year which couldn't make up for the shortfall in marks this year. Many in my class didn't get their grade for chemistry though I'm tempted to ring my teachers next week to see if it affected everyone or whether it was due to 'lack of work'.

yes its fine, i understand.
I sent you a pm listing the things i was referring to.
Also the reason i want the unconditional is becuase i have a holiday planned after A2 exams and i just want to be able to be stress free after my exams.
Also it allows me to plan for things more carefully, such as accomdation and stuff, just with the relief that i will defo have aplace
I will be equally motivated to do my best, and hopefully i will try my best this year

I'm not sure if these are valid reasons for wanting an unconditional offer. It's certainly good to have one but you should consider it as a special 'bonus' rather than expecting one, I guess only a small percentage of offers will be one, the majority of people will have to work for the grades, and Ideally we would all like to be 'stress free' after exams but unfortunately that's how the system works.

You will definitely have a place for accommodation, as I have despite going through clearing, in fact the deadline was today, though of course many room types were full up.
Original post by bj1
You're welcome, though I don't appreciate being accused of 'lack of work' - I did every single past paper under the sun for chemistry but it was my most difficult subject this year. Revision really started after mocks, say Jan-Feb.
I can only put it down to OCR shifting the grade boundaries through the roof, and a 'low A' grade last year which couldn't make up for the shortfall in marks this year. Many in my class didn't get their grade for chemistry though I'm tempted to ring my teachers next week to see if it affected everyone or whether it was due to 'lack of work'.

I'm not sure if these are valid reasons for wanting an unconditional offer. It's certainly good to have one but you should consider it as a special 'bonus' rather than expecting one, I guess only a small percentage of offers will be one, the majority of people will have to work for the grades, and Ideally we would all like to be 'stress free' after exams but unfortunately that's how the system works.

You will definitely have a place for accommodation, as I have despite going through clearing, in fact the deadline was today, though of course many room types were full up.

Oh, i am sorry for offending you in anyway by saying lack of work, i was only asking not accusing but im sorry for any offence caused.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending