The Student Room Group

Should I put my degree when applying for a bar job?

So I really want a bar job and am currently writing a CV for it, however I''m unsure as to whether to put my degree down or not.
I've been consistently employed at the same place since college so there won't be any gaps in the timeline, it will just look as though I've only been working there for the past 5 years.
I'm just worried if they see I've just completed a degree they'll think I'm just applying as a filler whilst I'm looking for graduate jobs (which I'm not).

So yeah, to omit or not to omit?
Original post by djhtvg
So I really want a bar job and am currently writing a CV for it, however I''m unsure as to whether to put my degree down or not.
I've been consistently employed at the same place since college so there won't be any gaps in the timeline, it will just look as though I've only been working there for the past 5 years.
I'm just worried if they see I've just completed a degree they'll think I'm just applying as a filler whilst I'm looking for graduate jobs (which I'm not).

How about putting the Education section of your CV at the bottom rather than the top, and in your covering letter, explaining why you are applying for the job and that it isn't a 'filler'.
Original post by djhtvg

Leave it out. You can simply just put in your A levels and GCSEs in the education section. It's not like you're purposely not declaring something bad.
I think you should put your degree on your CV - you worked hard for that and should be proud to put down! I don't think bars will view a degree negatively on someone's CV.

You've worked for 5 years constantly - was this in a bar/pub/restaurant? Because if so, it shows how committed you are to that industry because you worked even while studying.
Original post by Milkround
I think you should put your degree on your CV - you worked hard for that and should be proud to put down! I don't think bars will view a degree negatively on someone's CV.

You've worked for 5 years constantly - was this in a bar/pub/restaurant? Because if so, it shows how committed you are to that industry because you worked even while studying.

Wrong. I've applied for numerous jobs and the reality is that people are 'over-qualified' for certain jobs. It is understandable that an employer would not wish to hire someone for these roles if they are looking to leave ASAP.
Original post by hodgey111
Wrong. I've applied for numerous jobs and the reality is that people are 'over-qualified' for certain jobs. It is understandable that an employer would not wish to hire someone for these roles if they are looking to leave ASAP.

That's such a shame! When I graduated uni I kept my degree on my CV and managed to get a job in a pub no problem. Maybe it's down to each individual bar/pub?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by threeportdrift
How about putting the Education section of your CV at the bottom rather than the top, and in your covering letter, explaining why you are applying for the job and that it isn't a 'filler'.

Cover letter... for a bar job?
Original post by Speckle
Cover letter... for a bar job?

So as an employer, what's your interpretation of someone that writes a covering letter for a job application?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending