The Student Room Group

occupational psychologist job advice...

Hi everyone,
I wanted to know more about occupational psychology...
Is it easy to find jobs if you have psychology Ph.D. degree?
Are there long hours?
Can you open your own business?
Thanks for the help.
Original post by mussy101
Hi everyone,
Are there long hours?
Thanks for the help.

hi Mussy,

Are you still looking for answers for your question?
Reply 2
Original post by _Sinnie_
hi Mussy,

Are you still looking for answers for your question?

Hi yes please.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi everyone,
Are there long hours?
Thanks for the help.

1) Firstly, getting a PhD isn't as easy as getting a masters or undergrad degree, the main issues are that (1) there is very limited funding for places, so ideally you want to be in the top of your class to get a funded PhD. Also, a PhD isn't a requirement for becoming an Occupational psychologist: http://careers.bps.org.uk/area/occupational . Lastly getting a PhD can be a waste of time if you don't want to go into academic research or a job that would require the (few) skills you may need in the workplace that are transferable from psychology.

2) Long hours- not sure, I wouldn't say exceptionally so?

3) Can you open your own businsess
Occupational psychology has very little to do with business studies or management. If you want to open your own business you can do that now?
Hi everyone,
Are there long hours?
Thanks for the help.

As @iammichealjackson said, you don't require a PhD to become chartered as an occupational Psychologist. If you want to work as a practitioner Psychologist then once you've achieved everything you need for accreditation then you're pretty employable on the whole (provided there is enough jobs). Prior to accreditation you're going to be seeking as much work experience as possible. A PhD puts you in a good position for an academic/research career.

The hours will be similar to most other jobs.

Do you mean a business as an occupational psychologist, or a general business?
Reply 5
How about if i want to do clinical psychology instead?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by _Sinnie_
As @iammichealjackson said, you don't require a PhD to become chartered as an occupational Psychologist. If you want to work as a practitioner Psychologist then once you've achieved everything you need for accreditation then you're pretty employable on the whole (provided there is enough jobs). Prior to accreditation you're going to be seeking as much work experience as possible. A PhD puts you in a good position for an academic/research career.

The hours will be similar to most other jobs.

Do you mean a business as an occupational psychologist, or a general business?

I mean a business in occupational psychology.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How about if i want to do clinical psychology instead?

Posted from TSR Mobile

What about it exactly? Do you want to know what the route to becoming qualified is? There is an FAQ at the top of this page on Clinical Psychology, take a look and then ask away :smile:

Business wise, I imagine that there aren't 'Occupational Psychology' businesses per se. More that they will offer a range of services and employ, or be run by, Occupational Psychologists. To be honest, I don't actually know. Though you'd likely want to get experience in the business world first before trying to go it alone.

Quick Reply

Latest