The Student Room Group

***UKCAT 2017 poll***

Scroll to see replies

Original post by .....Jeff458
Thank you so much!

Is the SJT a lot harder as well?

I just started revising and my scores for abstract starting terrible (490,510,580) and here is me trying to target 700+

And for QR I am so pushed for time and for VR... well, let's not go there

SJT is pretty much the same as everywhere else :smile:

Tips for AR, look at the simplest box first, don't overcomplicate things, don't immediately start counting. If you don't find a pattern within 30 seconds, guess, flag and move on.

QR is fairly straightforward in the real exam, just make sure you are good at mental maths and familiarise yourself with the on screen calculator :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 141
Hey, yeah count me in too!

When is your test and how are your scores looking currently?

Don't know what else to use to revise? What are you using?

SO SCARED

Hey there,mine's in 5 days time and I have been using my 2 weeks Medify subscription all this time(strongly recommended) and the ISC book so far(hopefully these resources do the trick:?). I have only done 1 mock so far (Mock C) in which I got 650 average.Good Luck with your test :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by studentsixth
Sorry, should've been clearer! Are your GCSE grades particularly strong? If so, you can target places that may take this as an advantage!

My GCSEs are quite rubbish, i got a B in both english lang. and literature, A*s in maths, bio, chem, and physics. As in business studies and RE and everything else are Bs
Original post by saran23
Hey there,mine's in 5 days time and I have been using my 2 weeks Medify subscription all this time(strongly recommended) and the ISC book so far(hopefully these resources do the trick:?). I have only done 1 mock so far (Mock C) in which I got 650 average.Good Luck with your test :smile:

Whoah nice job man!
Thanks for the kind words and motivation and I really hope you get the score you are looking for!

I AM SO NERVOUs

650 average is insane compared to me!
Original post by MoshBosh
SJT is pretty much the same as everywhere else :smile:

Tips for AR, look at the simplest box first, don't overcomplicate things, don't immediately start counting. If you don't find a pattern within 30 seconds, guess, flag and move on.

QR is fairly straightforward in the real exam, just make sure you are good at mental maths and familiarise yourself with the on screen calculator :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just asking cos my friend got band 1's at home in SJT and in exam came out with a band 3 :/

Yeah I suck at AR so thanks for that tip!

Hopefully QR is a joke and I will boss it but thanks so much and best of luck with your application
Reply 145
Hi there,

I did my UKCAT the other day and got:
VR 740
QR 770
AR 640

which puts me at 716.7 average. I think that's on the border for GEM entry, so hopefully it will be enough 0.o
Reply 146
Original post by Baylo1
Hi there,

VR 740
QR 770
AR 640

which puts me at 716.7 average. I think that's on the border for GEM entry, so hopefully it will be enough 0.o

Congrats on your score!

One of the best VR scores I have seen on TSR this year :smile:

any tips for this section?
Reply 147
Original post by Baylo1
Hi there,

VR 740
QR 770
AR 640

Could i just ask a few questions about VR?

1) How many True/False/Cant Tell questions did you get?
2) Secondly, how long were the passage on average?
3) Did you get many 'Which statement is most likey to be true/false' or 'Which statement does the author agree/disagree with'?

Reply 148
Did mine last week and got:

QR: 800
VR: 740
AR:670

Average is 737, brought down a bit by AR :'( Just have to keep the fingers crossed for my GEM application
Original post by HarrisonGCSE
Could i just ask a few questions about VR?

1) How many True/False/Cant Tell questions did you get?
2) Secondly, how long were the passage on average?
3) Did you get many 'Which statement is most likey to be true/false' or 'Which statement does the author agree/disagree with'?

Everyone gets different amounts of statement and true/false questions. It is almost impossible to predict how many you will get. For example, I got 50:50 split but others have had 70:30, 90:10 and one even had all T/F/CT questions.

The passages are long but no longer than Medify
Reply 150
I'm a little worried and nervous with people mentioning that the average scores may hike up from last year. Can anyone kind of 'guesstimate' as to what the average scores may be as with what I am guessing reading from peoples responses is that 800 might be the new 700 and I'm worried that my score may not be good enough!!!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by MoMoS
I'm a little worried and nervous with people mentioning that the average scores may hike up from last year. Can anyone kind of 'guesstimate' as to what the average scores may be as with what I am guessing reading from peoples responses is that 800 might be the new 700 and I'm worried that my score may not be good enough!!!

I'll say this one more time, 800 will NEVER be the new 700. People are always going to be worried about a hike after what happened in 2013 but that was caused by a very easy DA (and thus 800 indeed became the new 700 that year). However, we don't have that section (plus it got rescaled anyways after 2013). There *could* be a hike. But it isn't exactly for certain and the hike won't be a very noticeable one even if there is. However, this has already been discussed before in previous pages as you can see so I don't think It'll help if I reiterate what's already been said.
Hi worried about my daughter's score of 593 she is a Scottish student 😨
Original post by scottishmum
Hi worried about my daughter's score of 593 she is a Scottish student 😨

What are the rest of her stats, It is going to be tricky to get an interview at one of the scottish medical schools considering all of them do favour high UKCAT scores.

I would completely avoid glasgow and Edinburgh, and St Andrews may not be a good idea either.
Reply 154
Wow that's amazing!!!

My AR scores are terrible? Is medify good for that?

Also, for the QR is the test similar to medify or harder or easier?

I smedify the only thing you used to revise? And how long did you take to revise for the test in honesty because I think I am in trouble :frown:

So worried, doing so badly, please help :':wink:

Any other advice or info about how the test was etc?

Thanks so much and great score, absolutely stunning!

I found medify good, for all of the sections you just need to keep practising them and I feel medify is good for this.

For AR you just need to do as many as possible and then see the answers to see what the pattern was. I would just do a quick AR question any time I had a free 5 mins just to try and see as many as possible.

I found the QR much easier in the real thing.

For revision I borrowed a book from last years KAPLAN course which I read, it gave good techniques for each section. Then I did two weeks of Medify.
Hi she got a sj2.

She has 6 nat 5As in english maths chemistry biology and modern studies and 1c in geography.

5 highers 4 As in english maths chemistry and geography 1b in biology.

She has had one week experience in a hospital and one week in an elderly care home.

She has been to tanzania this year for two weeks with a charity helping to build homes for orphaned children and fundraised 2200 pounds.

She has bronze and silver DofE awards.

She is studying advanced chemistry and biology and higher physcology.

She volunteers at a local nursery..

She is also part of reach in edinburgh and has an interview with leap.

Many thanks for replying.

Original post by Natalierm2707
What are the rest of her stats, It is going to be tricky to get an interview at one of the scottish medical schools considering all of them do favour high UKCAT scores.

I would completely avoid glasgow and Edinburgh, and St Andrews may not be a good idea either.
Guys who are doing GEM

I know Glasgow doesn't have GEM, you do their undergrad course but I was wondering if there are any additional criteria you have to fulfil to be considered eg way above ave UKCAT etc

Thanks
Reply 157
Original post by saran23

Good luck! I've had medify for over a month! It is great, but I'm doing terrible! Completed two mocks and didn't even get 600 overall in either! I'm thinking my UKCAT score won't even be good enough to apply to the 5year UG Med courses..:afraid::cry2::cry:
Reply 158
Original post by AMG2013
Guys who are doing GEM

I know Glasgow doesn't have GEM, you do their undergrad course but I was wondering if there are any additional criteria you have to fulfil to be considered eg way above ave UKCAT etc

Thanks

Hey there,

I am a GEM applicant here :smile:

Unfortunately none of the Scottish Universities offer graduate entry medicine for the 2017 entry :frown:. But they will be offering GEM in 2018 for the first ever time due to new government plans.
Original post by Chikkinn

without 2016.jpg

Plotting the distribution of scores from TSR poll respondents over the years, with entire cohort means by year overlayed with matching colour, its fascinating how consistent they are (bar the 2013 exam for 2014 entry, when I understand DA pulled everyone's score up significantly). Granted, these are crude representations of the real distributions, with scores grouped by 50 point bands (700-750 etc.) and simply centred on the median of the range. Nonetheless, it's an indicator of how consistent the complete polls are. Not only in the distribution of scores, but in the distribution's peaking relative to the mean score for the entire cohort (not just TSR) that year. It seems that the centre of TSR's most common score band sits 50 points above the average. You could even argue that the entire cohort mean can be predicted from that year's distribution, coinciding with the 17.5-20% range of the upward projection... Adding this year's poll so far is a complete mess; I'd suggest that if it's going to be anything approaching consistent with previous years, it's far from done. :biggrin:

I've continued tracking the results. If we assume everyone got the median of the range they voted, TSR's average score has been steadily dropping for the last 2 weeks, from 720 (with 64 respondents) to 706 (with 146 respondents). Calculating the mean the same way from previous years' polls puts the averages at 696, 690 and 692 for 2012, 2014 and 2015 respectively. Note that this sits slightly higher than the most common score band medians (as shown above), as the distribution of scores is skewed. Aside from 2013 (which we ignore due to the DA section messing everything up), the means sit 60 points higher than the general population's average. If the decline in this year's mean continues at this rate, we'll arrive at TSR's normal mean after another 2 weeks, which would suggest the scores haven't changed much this year. But as always, only time will tell.

Quick Reply