The Student Room Group

My school got 40% A*-C. Is that Bad?

question in title :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Bad for them yes. But good for you if you got a really good set of GCSEs and are thinking of applying to Oxford
Reply 2
I agree with the post above. 40% is abysmal.
Reply 3
Original post by shohaib712

For the 60% who didn't pass, yes it is bad.
However, it all depends of what you personally achieved.

As they say, "it's not about the school you go to, it's what you make of the school"
Original post by Pinkberry_y
Bad for them yes. But good for you if you got a really good set of GCSEs and are thinking of applying to Oxford
Would love to hear your honest opinion. A*AABBBBBCCD good enough for Oxbridge or Warwick?
Reply 5
Original post by shohaib712

That's awful. What's this statistic actually for? 40% A*-C in English and Maths? 40% 5 A*-C grades?
Reply 6
Original post by Dynamic_Vicz
Would love to hear your honest opinion. A*AABBBBBCCD good enough for Oxbridge or Warwick?

You'll struggle to be shortlisted for Oxford whatsoever when applying to any subject with that set of results. You have a chance with Cambridge if you have a set of A*s by the end of sixth form.

I can't comment on Warwick, sorry.
Original post by Pinkberry_y

Lol nope :wink: I got 1A*, 3A's, 5B's (Some of the B's were very close to an A :frown: )

I'm so happy that i'm leaving the school because all the english teachers were horrible *******, they were the kind that hated their jobs and wouldn't bother helping students if they asked for ways to improve. + They couldn't teach basic english nor mark coursework properly
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by L0st45
That's awful. What's this statistic actually for? 40% A*-C in English and Maths? 40% 5 A*-C grades?

5 A*-C
That's horrible. My school in 2009 I remember had around 35 percent 5 A*-C. Fun times.
Original post by RosaA
For the 60% who didn't pass, yes it is bad.
However, it all depends of what you personally achieved.

As they say, "it's not about the school you go to, it's what you make of the school"

I got 1A*, 3A's, 5B's (Some of the B's were very close to an A )

Got a few grades above my target though e.g. (I went from achieving E's in spanish to getting a B. (A* in some units)) - which I'm happy with :biggrin:
40% is shockingly bad.
Original post by NoSQL
You'll struggle to be shortlisted for Oxford whatsoever when applying to any subject with that set of results. You have a chance with Cambridge if you have a set of A*s by the end of sixth form.

I can't comment on Warwick, sorry.
Thanks for the reply :smile:
Original post by Just a Bloke
That's horrible. My school in 2009 I remember had around 35 percent 5 A*-C. Fun times.

Last year it was 32% :tongue:
Reply 14
Original post by Dynamic_Vicz
Thanks for the reply :smile:

No worries! Show them who the boss is with those A levels 😉
My school has 85% A*-A...
Original post by TheTechN1304
My school has 85% A*-A...

lel
Not abysmal, but it's significantly below average, which I believe is around 53-54%.
Mate, what i suggest is run away while you still can !
Original post by Pudge666
Mate, what i suggest is run away while you still can !

Already have :colone:

Could this help me out in aplying to uni - I got a few good grades even though I went to a **** school?

Quick Reply

Latest