The Student Room Group

Brexit causes surge in unemployment...

Scroll to see replies

The 4 were clearly EU luvvies too busy crying about us leaving. Dont worry they will be dead soon and from the Ashes a proper British business will replace them thirsty for proper Brits like yourself
Original post by Betelgeuse-
BBC 10 o clock news clearly stated it was the same for the figures pro Brexit. RULE BRITTANIA

Post-Brexit? So we left the EU? Oh remind me when we left?
I'm looking for you to prove that our vote to leave was the cause of this data, can you do that?

We only want British Businesses of strong high quality British moral fibre. No place for these wimpy demanding businesses. They should grovel at our queens (PBUH) feet for the opportunity we afforded them

So do you feel the same about businesses that threaten to leave if we raise their taxes?
Original post by Bornblue
Post-Brexit? So we left the EU? Oh remind me when we left?
I'm looking for you to prove that our vote to leave was the cause of this data, can you do that?

So do you feel the same about businesses that threaten to leave if we raise their taxes?

Yes these companies need to put up or shut up. Only proper British needed

Yes the data clearly shows Brexit vote saved us from recession and is responsible for the boom and prosperity we have seen since then
Such data normally fluctuates. Can you prove that Brexit 'caused' this which is the OP's claim? Correlation is not the same as cause.

I think the drop in JSA is pretty self-explanatory to be honest. What the OP was suggesting was as of now, the previous scare on the immediate effects of Brexit on employment has not materialised.

The JSA figure supports him claim.
Yes these companies need to put up or shut up. Only proper British needed

I respect your consistency here.

Yes the data clearly shows Brexit vote saved us from recession and is responsible for the boom and prosperity we have seen since then

Does it? How it does it show Brexit saved us from recession? Where is your working? How does it show Brexit is responsible for the boom and prosperity?

Explain the causal link.

This seems like confirmation bias.
Original post by CherishFreedom
I think the drop in JSA is pretty self-explanatory to be honest. What the OP was suggesting was as of now, the previous scare on the immediate effects of Brexit on employment has not materialised.

The JSA figure supports him claim.

The claim was that Brexit has caused higher employment.
Please explain the causal link.

A staggering number of people on here seem not to know the difference between a correlation and a cause.

The OP wasn't suggesting that the immediate effects had not materialized, look at the title. He was suggesting that Brexit has caused an increase in employment. Which is a very different thing.

How has Brexit caused an increase in employment? Someone please show me a causal link.
The 4 were clearly EU luvvies too busy crying about us leaving. Dont worry they will be dead soon and from the Ashes a proper British business will replace them thirsty for proper Brits like yourself

I was just saying that because I don't think there has been a surge in unemployment if I've had that many interviews. Now I have two jobs :biggrin:
I respect your consistency here.

Does it? How it does it show Brexit saved us from recession? Where is your working? How does it show Brexit is responsible for the boom and prosperity?

Explain the causal link.

This seems like confirmation bias.

I'm just joking mate, the reverse happened so much on here it was fun to play the anti brexiters at their own dumb game of narratives
The claim was that Brexit has caused higher employment.
Please explain the causal link.

A staggering number of people on here seem not to know the difference between a correlation and a cause.

The OP wasn't suggesting that the immediate effects had not materialized, look at the title. He was suggesting that Brexit has caused an increase in employment. Which is a very different thing.

How has Brexit caused an increase in employment? Someone please show me a causal link.

He didn't actually state that. If he did, please quote.

All he said was that the previous claims by the Remain campaign on employment figure has not materialised, and JSA figure actually counters it. He didn't say that that Brexit has benefited employment.
Original post by CherishFreedom
He didn't actually state that. If he did, please quote.

All he said was that the previous claims by the Remain campaign on employment figure has not materialised, and JSA figure actually counters it. He didn't say that that Brexit has benefited employment.

Brexit hasn't happened though yet. The data was also from BEFORE the referendum.

Posted from TSR Mobile
But the overall balance of argument is in favour of his claim though, given the JSA figure supports his claim and there is no data to counter it.

I agree that the data is rather limited atm, but you simply can't say he's wrong for what he claimed in this thread.
The main bulk of data was from April to June. Before the referendum.

We haven't left yet, Brexit hasn't happened yet. All the warnings were about what would happen if/when we left. So let's wait and see what happens when we actually leave.

But if by 'Brexit', you mean us voting to leave the EU and if we ignore the fact that the vast majority of the data was from before the vote, please explain how Brexit has 'caused' an increase in employment.

Even if we accept the two false premises that your claim is based upon, you haven't shown how Brexit has caused it. You've simply pointed out a correlation.

Except they weren't for when we left, so many of the threats and foe casts started THIS YEAR. All those banking jobs that have been confirmed staying in Britain? They were to move IF WE VOTED to leave, not when we left. That £275m GSK invested, that was supposed to not be happening IF WE VOTED to leave. The recession was supposed to be starting WHEN WE VOTED to leave.

We were told that the vote itself would cause chaos; if this is chaos I'm a fan.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Psych!

Kidding, I'd be more interested in the figures after Brexit actually happens*
Original post by KimKallstrom
Psych!

Kidding, I'd be more interested in the figures after Brexit actually happens*

Which is actually when they're least relevant, as far as uncertainty is concerned, which is what causes the problems, the worst times are now, article 50 actually being invoked, and possibly about 18 months after invoking A50

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Brahmin of Booty
Good, I want the economy to tank by 40%. There is a reason Russians have bigger balls than us Brits, hard times make rough men

so do i as gold will shoot up
i'll pay 75% (more than most pawnbrokers) and make a fortune and buy a jet ski and another watch or two
From the Telegraph:
Britain’s economy will slow down but should not go anywhere close to a recession, according to economists at credit ratings agency Moody’s, while growth in the rest of the world is also “stabilising.”Although markets dived on the referendum result in June, stock prices have recovered and now economists also believe the impact of the vote will be relatively modest, compared with some early fears.The lower pound should support economic growth in the UK, Moody’s said, while the government is expected to loosen the purse strings to shore up GDP.
Moody’s economists predict growth of 1.5pc this year and 1.2pc in 2017.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/08/17/uk-to-avoid-recession-and-world-economy-to-stabilise-as-brexit-s/

Sounds like a total disaster to me....

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 36
Hold the front page!

Brexit hits the bacon butty ...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/26/brexit-pushes-up-price-of-bacon/
Original post by Jammy Duel
...well i guess that's another project fear claim not doing so well with unemployment and the claimant count both falling in July

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37105028

I suppose I also missed out incredibly high likelihood of continued decent real wage growth and increases in employment when the results are announced

BornBlue has made you look a right mug
Original post by alevelstresss
BornBlue has made you look a right mug

I suggest you re-read this thread, the OP actually did not claim that Brexit caused a rise of employment. The drop in unemployment was mostly for pre-referendum period but JSA figure was for July.

Here are a few recent updates for July:

JSA down
UK consumer spending up
Retail sales up
Tourists up
House sales steady
Credit card spending unchanged
UK car manufacturing up
Looking at the economy and the EU's effect on employment I'd say the issue existed before and likely after and separately from the EU anyway.

At least we're shot of it's detrimental effects on employment though in the long term.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending