The Student Room Group

Confusion about SFW Entitlement

Hi All, hoping for some guidance on this, I've tried to ring this morning but it's tricky from work.

Apologies if I give too much info, but I'm not sure which bits will be relevant, so I'm just putting it all in!

I've had my entitlement notification from SFW for this September's enrollment. I'm starting at Cardiff Met, for my first year of a three year degree.

My entitlement letter states that I will receive Tuition Fee Loan, of £3900, payable to me in three installments, and Maintenance Loan, and Welsh Government Learning Grant, both also paid in installments.

My first question is the entitlement letter doesn't mention the Tuition Grant,can anyone offer an explanation? I haven't had me email to enroll electronically yet, so could this be a reason?
My next question is why would the tuition loan be paid to me? I thought it would be paid directly to the university.
Also, I haven't been awarded Parent's Learning Allowance. If anyone can give me some info on the eligibility criteria for this, that would be great. I might be able to figure out why I didn't qualify, or if I made a mistake on my application.

My current circumstances are that I am a mature student (age 40), married with 2 children. My eldest daughter is just about to start her second year of A Levels, and my youngest is 12. My husband is self employed, on a low income.

Apologies for the really long post, but any help anyone can give is much appreciated!

Thanks
Reply 1
It may need a phone call to SFW, but here are my thoughts:

Original post by Klj13
My entitlement letter states that I will receive Tuition Fee Loan, of £3900, payable to me in three installments, and Maintenance Loan, and Welsh Government Learning Grant, both also paid in installments.

My first question is the entitlement letter doesn't mention the Tuition Grant,can anyone offer an explanation?

The maximum Tuition Fee Loan from SFW is £3810, so the sum of £3900 may include the grant element. How much will your tuition fees actually be?

I haven't had me email to enroll electronically yet, so could this be a reason?

No, that won't influence how much Tuition Fee Loan/Grant you get.

My next question is why would the tuition loan be paid to me? I thought it would be paid directly to the university.

It will definitely be paid directly to the uni - you will never see this money. The wording of the SFW advice may make that unclear.

Also, I haven't been awarded Parent's Learning Allowance. If anyone can give me some info on the eligibility criteria for this, that would be great. I might be able to figure out why I didn't qualify, or if I made a mistake on my application.

This is decided on a case-by-case basis, so we can't advise. You will definitely need to phone SFW to find out more. However if your application has not yet been fully processed, that could also explain why your Tuition Fee Loan/Grant aren't yet what you expect. SFW will be able to check your account and tell you what's going on.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Thanks for your help, I'll give them a call to clarify

K x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending