The Student Room Group

I hate my mum

I freaking got 7 a stars and 4 As but my mum is still kinda mad that my friend beat me and got 10 a stars.

She's like doesn't want to say anything because my dad also disagrees with her but inside she still feels slightly disappointed.

WTF do I do?
Firstly, don't let this issue affect your relationship with your friend, or the long-ten relationship with your mum. GCSE's aren't a competition, and if you feel like you have done well (which you have done), that's great. Try and make a laugh out of it and look the bright side of the situation. Hopefully this will pass quickly as you focus on the next stage of your education, which you should try and gain the full support of your parents for.

Try letting her know that at GCSE level, as long as you get above a C, that's all that really matters. It's only A-Levels where you need to worry about your actual grades - to me, GCSEs are either a pass or fail - anything above a C is a bonus.

Show your mum some of the other grades people around the country are getting. You have done exceptionally well and other people haven't been so lucky. If you have really tried your hardest, try and make her accept that your friend is better than you, and respect his achievements, rather than be a rival with them. Appreciate his talents, and try and learn from him.

Again, be an ally, not a rival - your mum should learn this too.

Hope this helps!!
I know that my results are good but its so frustrating that I know she feels that way but she doesn't openly bring it up so we can joke or talk about it.
Original post by dontrevisefail
I freaking got 7 a stars and 4 As but my mum is still kinda mad that my friend beat me and got 10 a stars.

She's like doesn't want to say anything because my dad also disagrees with her but inside she still feels slightly disappointed.

WTF do I do?

Ignore her. You did brilliantly and you should be congratulated! Don't let her put doubt in your mind. The sky is the limit with 7A*s :P
Original post by _gcx
Ignore her. You did brilliantly and you should be congratulated! Don't let her put doubt in your mind. The sky is the limit with 7A*s :P

cheers
I know that my results are good but its so frustrating that I know she feels that way but she doesn't openly bring it up so we can joke or talk about it.

Well in that case, just let it blow over. If she doesn't ever bring it up, then it's not going to effect you at all. If she is still concerned, she will express her feelings when she feels that the time is right
Original post by crminshaw
Well in that case, just let it blow over. If she doesn't ever bring it up, then it's not going to effect you at all. If she is still concerned, she will express her feelings when she feels that the time is right

thanks
Reply 7
your results are amazing and you should be proud of them
dont let anyone tell you any different not event your mum ( no disrespect)

getting those kind of grades are very difficult even when the grade boundaries are as high as this years and even when the examiners are becoming more strict
Tell her she needs to be thankful for the daughter she has not the daughter she wishes she had

WTF do I do?
Typical TSR thread.

"I got 9 A* but can I still go to Edge hill University?"

WTF do I do?

Only focus on what you feel you've achieved; it's your life, not your mother's. I just believe that x amount of GCSEs results turns into bragging rights. Don't let your mother use you for that reason.

If you were my child, I'd be immensely proud of you as it is very hard; harder than what I had to do when I was 16 (I'm 29 now).

It's all about you at this time, don't take anything to heart in regards to your parents thoughts about you otherwise they'll intertwine in your mind and it'll be extra pressure when you're doing your A levels and education after that e.g. degrees/masters etc.

If I had listened to mother's opinions, I'd not have my Access Diploma and my 2 GCSEs that I had to retake and I'd of been in this horrible spiral of thinking what my parents thought of me and my studies.

Quick Reply

Latest