The Student Room Group

Should Britain now join a "North Sea Union"?

Scroll to see replies

Why are people so addicted to unions?

What happened to mutual agreements and cooperation?
Original post by inhuman
The majority of your country has shown clear nationalistic and overtly patriotic tendencies. No thanks. Edit: oh an read the reply below mine, I think I can rest my case :smile:

And well economic union without political union is difficult to say the least.

You Germans had a pretty colourful association with natiomalism at one point didn't you?!
Original post by plasmaman
You Germans had a pretty colourful association with natiomalism at one point didn't you?!
That was a generation gone, most Germans alive today had nothing to do with that and has no relevance at all to this proposal.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 23

Great Britain? Sitting in glass houses and all.

And indeed, wouldn't you say then that's a bad thing?
Reply 24
Original post by ckfeister
What if it was 2 EU's again? Would you want that? Don't forget what EU was like before we all joined one. You had..

Britain as the central power with north countries.
EU with Germany and France as the central powers.

Relevance?
From a strictly economic point of view i've often thought that an optimum zone would be Germany-Belgium-Netherlands-Ireland-Austria-Switzerland-Poland-Scandinavia because all those countries have an export mentality (all have historically averaged trade surplus) and it should not be hard to agree to run fiscal surpluses too.

From a political point of view there are certain advantages to such a North Sea alliance however i want no union with Germany so long as they are willing to pollute our continent. I'd much prefer to seek ties with the Anglosphere.
Original post by Rakas21
From a strictly economic point of view i've often thought that an optimum zone would be Germany-Belgium-Netherlands-Ireland-Austria-Switzerland-Poland-Scandinavia because all those countries have an export mentality (all have historically averaged trade surplus) and it should not be hard to agree to run fiscal surpluses too.

From a political point of view there are certain advantages to such a North Sea alliance however i want no union with Germany so long as they are willing to pollute our continent. I'd much prefer to seek ties with the Anglosphere.

A union does offer advantages in terms of the capability to create a single market with the easy flow of goods and services. This is stimulating to trade until you decide everyone should be contained in a madly deflationary single currency based on the fiscal policies of the strongest member. :rolleyes: The other issues, such as environmental ones (I assume that's what you are referring to and not some kind of hidden racist subtext) are also best dealt with by common agreement.

I would have to exclude Ireland from your proposed N European union unless Britain is also part of it and it doesn't leave Ireland stuck on the Euro. The impact on the Irish people has been every bit as intense as those in Southern Europe and in some ways even harsher. The well off in Ireland are not paying the price, it's the poor. I realise Ireland has shown a capacity for recovery, but they really have no sound reason to be in the Euro and would actually do a lot better going back to the good old Pound Sterling with local informal exchange arrangements they once called the 'Pund'.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Fullofsurprises
A union does offer advantages in terms of the capability to create a single market with the easy flow of goods and services. This is stimulating to trade until you decide everyone should be contained in a madly deflationary single currency based on the fiscal policies of the strongest member. :rolleyes: The other issues, such as environmental ones (I assume that's what you are referring to and not some kind of hidden racist subtext) are also best dealt with by common agreement.

I would have to exclude Ireland from your proposed N European union unless Britain is also part of it and it doesn't leave Ireland stuck on the Euro. The impact on the Irish people has been every bit as intense as those in Southern Europe and in some ways even harsher. The well off in Ireland are not paying the price, it's the poor. I realise Ireland has shown a capacity for recovery, but they really have no sound reason to be in the Euro and would actually do a lot better going back to the good old Pound Sterling with local informal exchange arrangements they once called the 'Pund'.

The failures of the Euro-zone go beyond German fiscal policy, the very structure is flawed due to vested interests and a lack of resolve.

I'm referring to filling our continent with the most deprived and least educated people one can and that's before we broach the ethno-cultural ramifications of the decision. Common consensus is somewhat irrelevant here since Germany got most of the EU to agree to a quota. The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Strictly speaking i want Ireland to rejoin the union but based on elections, the Irish people clearly want to part of the European core.
Original post by inhuman
Relevance?

There are a lot of anti-EU in EU, if citizens see an alternative option it will cause a European competition and maybe the collapse of EU.
Original post by inhuman
The majority of your country has shown clear nationalistic and overtly patriotic tendencies. No thanks. Edit: oh an read the reply below mine, I think I can rest my case :smile:

As a Brit, I agree with you. Spare a thought for the minority of us who don't believe the words of populists over the advice of key institutions. :frown:
the UK should join the canadians, the yanks, the Mexicans, and Carribean as the coalition would easily out buy the EU
I mean rum, tequila, bourbon,Canadian whiskey for a start
a massive military presence
Reply 31
Original post by ckfeister
There are a lot of anti-EU in EU, if citizens see an alternative option it will cause a European competition and maybe the collapse of EU.

And yet none of them are even near a referendum.

Seems like a lot of Brits are still stuck with the Great in Britain.
Original post by JRKinder
That was a generation gone, most Germans alive today had nothing to do with that and has no relevance at all to this proposal.

Calm down dear! Was merely a little joke.
Speaking of Germany today, there is a rather alarming rise in support for neo-nazi groups in the country. I would suggest that to be far more of an issue than the justified euroscepticism that the referendum result exposed.
Reply 33
Speaking of Germany today, there is a rather alarming rise in support for neo-nazi groups in the country. I would suggest that to be far more of an issue than the justified euroscepticism that the referendum result exposed.

AfD = referendum result.

Too bad for your argument that AfD is tiny compared to that result.
Well you should have made that more clear, because there are a surprising number of people who still somehow conflate Germany with Naziism, which is what you appeared to be suggesting.
By neo-nazi do you mean the AfD? I'm pretty sure that's just a general Eurosceptic group-turned anti-immigration party in regards to the refugees, not neo-nazi (although those types of people would be likely to support them).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending