The Student Room Group

bad AS results please help!

I got BCC for math,chem and bio. honestly i think i did about 10% work , mainly because i switched schools, my previous school hadn't started teaching AS and was very bad at teaching London AL so i moved. and i faced some bullying as well so when i moved i tried too hard to fit in and make friends that i completely neglected my work. and my new school had completed 50% of the syllabus so i had to self study to cover up that bit of work. after all that effort to fit in, i made friends but it was at the cost of my AS results and all my friends did a lot better than me.
i have never regretted something more in my life and i cant even imagine what i was thinking.
i got 8A*s and 1B for my gcse's btw.
and i am also hoping to apply for the MBBS program at Melaka-Manipal UNI twin program which has an entry requirement of 3 Cs.
i want some advice on if i should resit all my papers (which i dont want to do) or if i will be able to get at least get 2A's and a B for A2 even though i didn't do well for AS( and without resits). i was thinking of not resitting because my results for AS are within the required grades for the uni that i have selected. if i put in a lot of work would i be able to make it or is it an impossible aim?
also what are the advantages i would have if i resit? and also if manage to do well in A2 and also get into uni would my bad AS results affect my studies at uni?
please help i am desperate :'(
Reply 1
Hi, I am not too sure about the new spec introduced in 2015 that you studied as I did the old one (2008 spec) that ended this year. But If resitting exams will help your final grade then I'd do it without hesitation. I know people who got C's and D's in AS and resat the exams they needed to. they came out with A's and B's. I don't think you need to resit all of the exams, maybe just the ones you did really bad on that might have pushed your grade down. you should check your ums in each paper to be clear which ones you need to resit.
Just make sure this upcoming year, there is nothing in the way of your studies. Hopefully you settled well into your new school now.
start properly revising every day well before the exam season, probably around Christmas. I would also make a revision time table because it helped me the most personally.
Your GCSE's are fantastic which is an obvious sign you're well capable of getting the top grades. Also, it is by no means an impossible Aim, if you work your ass off next year, nothing can stop you from getting the best grades.
To answer your other question, unis will not care about your As grades, as long as you meet their overall grade requirements.
I hope this is somewhat reassuring and good luck!
Original post by riri101
I got BCC for math,chem and bio. honestly i think i did about 10% work , mainly because i switched schools, my previous school hadn't started teaching AS and was very bad at teaching London AL so i moved. and i faced some bullying as well so when i moved i tried too hard to fit in and make friends that i completely neglected my work. and my new school had completed 50% of the syllabus so i had to self study to cover up that bit of work. after all that effort to fit in, i made friends but it was at the cost of my AS results and all my friends did a lot better than me.
i have never regretted something more in my life and i cant even imagine what i was thinking.
and i am also hoping to apply for the MBBS program at Melaka-Manipal UNI twin program which has an entry requirement of 3 Cs.
i want some advice on if i should resit all my papers (which i dont want to do) or if i will be able to get at least get 2A's and a B for A2 even though i didn't do well for AS( and without resits). i was thinking of not resitting because my results for AS are within the required grades for the uni that i have selected. if i put in a lot of work would i be able to make it or is it an impossible aim?
also what are the advantages i would have if i resit? and also if manage to do well in A2 and also get into uni would my bad AS results affect my studies at uni?

Just thought I'd begin by saying that BCC isn't bad at all, especially for the subjects you're doing!

Your predicted grades that teachers set for you to apply to uni with are determined by your mock results and homework as well as your AS grade. So, of course you can get higher grades if you put a lot of work in!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by riri101

Oh and if your subjects are reformed then you can't resit

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
thank you for all the advise! i just read up about the reformed subjects but our school is allowing us to do resists in October 2016 and Jan 2017. why doesn't that apply to us? we also have a law stating that we must take all our AS subjects in one sitting and A2 in another (cant take modules separately) if we want to work here.
so if i am to resit some units, i can only do so next summer along with my A2.
i am able to work really hard and make sure my A2 grades are good but i don't think i will do that great if i try to resit some AS units with it as well.
is it a bad idea to just leave my AS results as it is and just focus on A2? considering that i am within the required grades for my uni as well?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by riri101
thank you for all the advise! i just read up about the reformed subjects but our school is allowing us to do resists in October 2016 and Jan 2017. why doesn't that apply to us? we also have a law stating that we must take all our AS subjects in one sitting and A2 in another (cant take modules separately) if we want to work here.
so if i am to resit some units, i can only do so next summer along with my A2.
i am able to work really hard and make sure my A2 grades are good but i don't think i will do that great if i try to resit some AS units with it as well.
is it a bad idea to just leave my AS results as it is and just focus on A2? considering that i am within the required grades for my uni as well?

In my school we didn't have to sit AS exams as we sit AS and A2 exams together next year - the papers we do are longer. We sat the AS exams to determine whether we stay in sixth form or leave, plus we get a qualification out of it.

I would say leave your AS results as they are, I got the exact same as you but not in the same subjects! Work harder next year and you'll get to where you want to be I'm sure :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by littlemix012
In my school we didn't have to sit AS exams as we sit AS and A2 exams together next year - the papers we do are longer. We sat the AS exams to determine whether we stay in sixth form or leave, plus we get a qualification out of it.

I would say leave your AS results as they are, I got the exact same as you but not in the same subjects! Work harder next year and you'll get to where you want to be I'm sure :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

okay thank you! that's exactly what my educational counsellor said. so its good to make sure i am making a right decision :smile:
Original post by riri101
okay thank you! that's exactly what my educational counsellor said. so its good to make sure i am making a right decision :smile:

You are trust me :wink:

Just think that there's people who did worse than you that aren't leaving sixth form

Posted from TSR Mobile
How did you do after cos I’m in the same boat as you were

Quick Reply

Latest