The Student Room Group

GCSE grades and University applications

Do you think 4A*s, 4As and 1B is good enough at GCSE to get into a top uni? I was a couple of marks away from an A* at maths and additional science at GCSE. Do universities care if it was almost an A*, or is it still just an A grade to them?

Also, because I want to do something science related at uni, does it matter that I got As in science and maths at GCSE, or would they rather pick a student with A*s in science and maths over me?

Finally, do universities ask you how many A*s you got (so JUST A*s, no other grades), or do they ask how many A*s AND As you got (collectively)?

I really hope these questions can get answered. Thank you very much!
Reply 1
What are you looking to apply to?

If medicine , it may count for some unis
Everything else, nope

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Kazuhira
What are you looking to apply to?

If medicine , it may count for some unis
Everything else, nope

Posted from TSR Mobile

Either medicine, dentistry, chemistry...just science related courses really. Should my GCSE grades be higher, or are they strong for the courses at uni?
Your grades are amazing! I definitely think they will get you into the top ten. Not sure about Cambridge or Oxford, as they particularly look into GCSEs (Oxford, more so than Cambridge) But i don't think that the other top uni's, care too much about GCSEs, as long as you have at least B grade minimum in Maths, English and Science. However, everything i just said may become irrelevant, if it's Medicine, or something in the similar field :smile:.
Might be considered if you are thinking of applying to Oxbridge also. Oxford have a reputation for placing more emphasis on GCSE results than Cambridge from what I've heard if you are (I have 4A*, 4A and 3B at GCSE, so go for it if you think you are capable)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by an_atheist
Might be considered if you are thinking of applying to Oxbridge also. Oxford have a reputation for placing more emphasis on GCSE results than Cambridge from what I've heard if you are (I have 4A*, 4A and 3B at GCSE, so go for it if you think you are capable)

So even if I get 3A*s at A level, my chances at getting accepted at Oxbridge will get hindered by my GCSE results. Is that true or not?

Quick Reply

Latest