The Student Room Group

What A Levels should I take?

Hey,

Im starting year 11 soon and my parents are pressuring me to choose what A Levels i want to take now because they are extremely disappointed with my year 9 and 10 GCSE results so they want me to focus on revision when the school year starts rather than on what A Levels to take

I have already done 4 GCSEs which are:
-Core Science - Grade B (Year 9)
-Additional Science - Grade B (Year 10)
-Art & Design - Grade C (Year 10)
-Design & Technology: Graphic Products - Grade B (Year 10)
Im okay with all of these other than Graphics which i wanted an A in really badly but my teacher left midway through the course but theres no excuses aha, a B is what I'm stuck with.

And in year 11 I am going to be completing:
-English Literature (9-1) - Realistically expecting a 6
-English Language (9-1) - Realistically expecting a 7
-Maths (9-1) - Realistically expecting a 7
-History - Realistically expecting a B
-Geography - Realistically expecting an A
-Photography - Realistically expecting a B

So yeah pretty mediocre :3

I have no idea what to take for sixth form as i do not know what career to pursue, I want to take A Level Economics and Geography (Don't know about the third) but my dad said that i must choose Maths and Sciences as they open a lot of career paths which is true but i do not see myself succeeding in Maths and any science subject other than Biology which I'm alright in.

I am not particularly amazing at any subjects so its not clear to me what to choose and what career to pursue.

Any advice based on the info provided?
Reply 1
Do maths
If you don't enjoy a subject, it'll be very hard to succeed. So, my advise would be to choose something you enjoy. Also, if you are planning on going to uni; make sure your choices correspond what you would like to pursue. Just work hard and you'll do great.
Reply 3
Original post by thomasp360
If you don't enjoy a subject, it'll be very hard to succeed. So, my advise would be to choose something you enjoy. Also, if you are planning on going to uni; make sure your choices correspond what you would like to pursue. Just work hard and you'll do great.

I do wanna go uni but i have no idea what degree to do so i don't know what A Levels to take
Reply 4
Original post by SGHD26716
Do maths

I don't think ill do well in it though
Original post by zxid
Hey,

Im starting year 11 soon and my parents are pressuring me to choose what A Levels i want to take now because they are extremely disappointed with my year 9 and 10 GCSE results so they want me to focus on revision when the school year starts rather than on what A Levels to take

I have already done 4 GCSEs which are:
-Core Science - Grade B (Year 9)
-Additional Science - Grade B (Year 10)
-Art & Design - Grade C (Year 10)
-Design & Technology: Graphic Products - Grade B (Year 10)
Im okay with all of these other than Graphics which i wanted an A in really badly but my teacher left midway through the course but theres no excuses aha, a B is what I'm stuck with.

And in year 11 I am going to be completing:
-English Literature (9-1) - Realistically expecting a 6
-English Language (9-1) - Realistically expecting a 7
-Maths (9-1) - Realistically expecting a 7
-History - Realistically expecting a B
-Geography - Realistically expecting an A
-Photography - Realistically expecting a B

So yeah pretty mediocre :3

I have no idea what to take for sixth form as i do not know what career to pursue, I want to take A Level Economics and Geography (Don't know about the third) but my dad said that i must choose Maths and Sciences as they open a lot of career paths which is true but i do not see myself succeeding in Maths and any science subject other than Biology which I'm alright in.

I am not particularly amazing at any subjects so its not clear to me what to choose and what career to pursue.

Any advice based on the info provided?

If you think you wont be very good at maths then I recommend you do think about use of maths or physics
Original post by zxid
I don't think ill do well in it though

then don't. honestly at A-level i think its important you do subjects you acc enjoy and are capable in. Often people do stem subjects and fail.... Its better to get 3A's in arty subjects than 3D's in maths etc....
Reply 7
Original post by marion771
If you think you wont be very good at maths then I recommend you do think about use of maths or physics

In my Additional Science I got A*BCD seperately and the D was in Physics do physics is no, I got the B in Biology so should I consider that instead?
Reply 8
Original post by Amelia488
then don't. honestly at A-level i think its important you do subjects you acc enjoy and are capable in. Often people do stem subjects and fail.... Its better to get 3A's in arty subjects than 3D's in maths etc....

So should I just take Geography, Economics (Subjects I will enjoy) and Biology (because there is no other subjects I like) even though they don't relate but I might get good grades in them? What sort of useful degree could j do with these A Levels?
Totally irrelevant, but the new grading system looks terrible :frown:. So happy i was in the last year with A*-C
Original post by zxid
So should I just take Geography, Economics (Subjects I will enjoy) and Biology (because there is no other subjects I like) even though they don't relate but I might get good grades in them? What sort of useful degree could j do with these A Levels?

Yes! You could go into any one of those fields at university. You could also do any science related degree, because you have two sciences. (Geography counts as a science for most, if not all science degrees) I think Biology, Geography and Economics are a great combination, as they compliment each over and open the doors to many degree choices. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by JustJannah
Yes! You could go into any one of those fields at university. You could also do any science related degree, because you have two sciences. (Geography counts as a science for most, if not all science degrees) I think Biology, Geography and Economics are a great combination, as they compliment each over and open the doors to many degree choices. :smile:

Ohh okay thank you, after having a massive thought about it I'm pretty much set on taking Geography, Biology and Economics but the only problem is my dad with Maths so I'll probably have to take it as an AS level but its chill because maths will be the only real exams I'll have in year 12 because of those reforms. Thank you guys for the advice :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by JustJannah
Totally irrelevant, but the new grading system looks terrible :frown:. So happy i was in the last year with A*-C

I and everyone else in my year agree with you, wish I was in your year tbh

Quick Reply

Latest