The Student Room Group

I think I chose the wrong course

I applied to study English at Coventry university this year without a real plan. I didn't know what I wanted to do at uni (it was between English and Archaeology) so I went to the careers advisor for... well advise and they encouraged me to go for English because of my subject choices (English lit lan, sociology and psychology) (which I also regretted, apart from English).

It took some time but I managed to convince myself that English was the way for me, but after talking to other English students I don't think I can compete with these students who have a genuine passion of the subject and are able to analyse literature without the teachers giving them cookie cutter answers. And after looking at the career aspects I've realised that none of the options appeal to me.

I'm pretty sure I'm late for clearing as family issues meant that I didn't want to put myself and family through the stress of sorting out a completely new uni and I'm pretty sure my results, BCD, won't get me into any good uni if I drop out and reapply for a different subject, nor am I sure how to do that. I'm just terrified that I got myself down a path that I can't turn back from that won't lead me where I want to go.

Does anybody have any advise on how to fix this, should I just suck it up or try and change course at the uni, leave it a year so I can prove that I am able to study at uni or do it straight away, drop out and reapply (for history or archaeology) should I look for a foundation course? I just have no idea on what to do...
Sweetheart, relax I know it's scary but it's not that difficult.
All universities allow first year students to change their course if they don't feel happy with their current course, al you have to do is speak with your personal tutor or a career advisor person and tell them how you feel it is literally that easy, they will guid you the rest of the way on what to do.
Also clearing can last for a while, have a look, apply and if you get in just contact your current uni and say I've decided to change course ergo I'll be changing uni. :smile:
I know how scary it can feel, I just called a uni on my A Level results day and decided to do an english degree cos my friend was doing it. I didn't really care for the subject but I knew I didn't hate it. First year sucked, I'm very shy so didn't make friends but I did good, second year I got too social and screwed up the year and final year I had enough and became that girl who was in the library every night until 3am. And guess what? I ended up falling in love with my degree and managed to smash it and get a first class degree. And now I'm gonna start my teacher training, you always manage to find what you love in the end trust me. And this is coming from a girl who wanted to drop out of high school.
You can do whatever you want, just be happy.
Reply 2
Original post by fahema_emma
Sweetheart, relax I know it's scary but it's not that difficult.
All universities allow first year students to change their course if they don't feel happy with their current course, al you have to do is speak with your personal tutor or a career advisor person and tell them how you feel it is literally that easy, they will guid you the rest of the way on what to do.
Also clearing can last for a while, have a look, apply and if you get in just contact your current uni and say I've decided to change course ergo I'll be changing uni. :smile:
I know how scary it can feel, I just called a uni on my A Level results day and decided to do an english degree cos my friend was doing it. I didn't really care for the subject but I knew I didn't hate it. First year sucked, I'm very shy so didn't make friends but I did good, second year I got too social and screwed up the year and final year I had enough and became that girl who was in the library every night until 3am. And guess what? I ended up falling in love with my degree and managed to smash it and get a first class degree. And now I'm gonna start my teacher training, you always manage to find what you love in the end trust me. And this is coming from a girl who wanted to drop out of high school.
You can do whatever you want, just be happy.

But what if, for any reason I can't swap when I get there? Like what if the course is full or my grades are too low (History is BBB at Coventry)
You'd be surprised a lot of unis are more lenient than they seem, the grades for my course were BBB but I got CCC they took me in anyway. Also often they'll give priority to their current students over clearing students sometimes. Also if they need to fill places on a course they'll look to do that rather than have them empty for a whole year. It's just a uni quota kind of thing, if their places and no one takes them they'll give it to someone else even if they have lower grades.
Reply 4
Original post by fahema_emma
You'd be surprised a lot of unis are more lenient than they seem, the grades for my course were BBB but I got CCC they took me in anyway. Also often they'll give priority to their current students over clearing students sometimes. Also if they need to fill places on a course they'll look to do that rather than have them empty for a whole year. It's just a uni quota kind of thing, if their places and no one takes them they'll give it to someone else even if they have lower grades.

Ah, well thats good to know, thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending