The Student Room Group

Summer 2017 Applications

Scroll to see replies

Reply 960
Original post by TheParham
if you are keen on joining straight away I suggest this thing called the Analyst 2017 programme that CS do, check it out :wink:

Thank you :smile:. However, many of my friends say that it is nearly "impossible" to join straight away with my profile. I come from a good university and have 2 relevant internships but at no-name companies. And so I thought i might take a shot at the SA positions rather than wasting my application for a full-time position where I don't stand a chance. Any thoughts on this ??
Original post by AKRP
Thank you :smile:. However, many of my friends say that it is nearly "impossible" to join straight away with my profile. I come from a good university and have 2 relevant internships but at no-name companies. And so I thought i might take a shot at the SA positions rather than wasting my application for a full-time position where I don't stand a chance. Any thoughts on this ??

On a serious note, I think there are good arguments on both sides (read the thread as prince mentioned) , in my opinion, getting a SA role is not much easier than getting a FT role
Reply 962
Original post by TheParham
On a serious note, I think there are good arguments on both sides (read the thread as prince mentioned) , in my opinion, getting a SA role is not much easier than getting a FT role

I have read quite a few pages of this one and Princepieman's "How to secure a job in higher Finance", and well, it seems like its commonly accepted that FT roles go 90% to SA guys..... Furthermore, I am not interested in conventional IB (M&A) but more into Markets, especially research. I find that for this position there are even less full time position. To come back to my original question, is it possible for me to apply for SA positions if I indicate that I am doing a master? (Which i will do 50/50 anyways)
Original post by AKRP
I have read quite a few pages of this one and Princepieman's "How to secure a job in higher Finance", and well, it seems like its commonly accepted that FT roles go 90% to SA guys..... Furthermore, I am not interested in conventional IB (M&A) but more into Markets, especially research. I find that for this position there are even less full time position. To come back to my original question, is it possible for me to apply for SA positions if I indicate that I am doing a master? (Which i will do 50/50 anyways)

yh, so long as you're in your penultimate year of study
Reply 964
Original post by gr8wizard10
yh, so long as you're in your penultimate year of study

Thank you! Did you do a masters?

On another note, 2 weeks ago I checked the UBS careers portal and there were both a Full-Time and a SA position for Research (in total there were 41 openings). Now both have vanished and there are only 39 left.... Has something like this happened before or will the positions come back? Any insights on this issue? (HR just sending generic mails when i asked them)
have lazard taken away the questions on their application form? is it just a cover letter now??
Original post by AKRP
Hey,

I am in my last year at university this October. However, I would rather apply to Summer Analyst roles than Graduate roles. But Credit Suisse for example states that you explicitly have to be in your penultimate year to be eligible for the program. However, if i just write in my cover letter that I am intending to do a masters after my bachelor (although I dont want to), will I be able to apply for the Summer Analyst role?

Thank you

Yes that's fine. A lot of application forms have a box asking you to tick if you are in your penultimate year, and will either state to tick if you intend to do a masters or have a separate question asking if you intend on doing a masters.

They will almost always regard you as a penultimate year student if you intend on doing a masters. I am going into my final year and intend on doing a masters, and I am applying for SA roles.
Original post by olly_price
Yes that's fine. A lot of application forms have a box asking you to tick if you are in your penultimate year, and will either state to tick if you intend to do a masters or have a separate question asking if you intend on doing a masters.

They will almost always regard you as a penultimate year student if you intend on doing a masters. I am going into my final year and intend on doing a masters, and I am applying for SA roles.

Does this also hold true for CS. Thanks
Original post by oracle95
Does this also hold true for CS. Thanks

Well I applied for CS so I hope so. I think I remember it specifically asking on the application form.

I would imagine that firms will understand if you put that you're in your penultimate year and then on your CV or CL that you wanna do a masters.
Reply 969
Well I applied for CS so I hope so. I think I remember it specifically asking on the application form.

I would imagine that firms will understand if you put that you're in your penultimate year and then on your CV or CL that you wanna do a masters.

How exactly did you put it on your CV?

Thanks, Yet to apply there because I wasnt sure, as they seem so strict on their website. I'll do it in the coming days.

What division did you apply for?
For test preparation, which one is more true to the actual tests: assessment day or jobtestprep.com?
Original post by AKRP
How exactly did you put it on your CV?

In the education part I put "Intend on completing a finance-based MSc in 2017/18".
Original post by oracle95
Thanks, Yet to apply there because I wasnt sure, as they seem so strict on their website. I'll do it in the coming days.

What division did you apply for?

I applied for equity research, what about you?
I applied for equity research, what about you?

I'm applying for markets.
Original post by gsbs2
anyone heard anything about CS? And updates about what stage ppl are for Lazard pls

Did the CS test about a week ago but haven't heard anything yet.
Has anyone every applied to Centerview before? I just sent off an application, not sure what to expect in terms of how long they will take to get back to me if they ever do, what the process is etc.
Reply 977
On my CV Ive got 1 proper work experience as a finance assistant and 2 volunteering.

I've got a one reference for my finance assistance role. But none for my volunteering which was teaching kids in a village in South Africa whilst on holiday. Say if I'm lucky enough to get an offer, would this be an issue with regards to background checks?

I'm applying for finance grad btw.
Hey guys,

Is it OK to write a cover letter addressed to dear sir/madam if you do not know the name of the person?
Its really difficult to find, for example, the name of the person for banks such as MS, JPM ect. so just wanted to make sure that this is acceptable.

thanks in advance to those who reply.
(edited 7 years ago)
Has anyone every applied to Centerview before? I just sent off an application, not sure what to expect in terms of how long they will take to get back to me if they ever do, what the process is etc.

is it for FT role?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending