The Student Room Group

Should I get my papers remarked

For my results I got an A* in maths, chem, bio, physics, ict and citizenship. In history I was 2 ums off an A* and in geography, one exam I had 117/120 ums and the other I had 53/60 ums however our teacher was pretty bad with the coursework specifications in geography and as a result I just managed a B and overall was 3 ums off an A*. Would it be worth it to get some papers remarked? It would cost £30 each which my parents wouldn't mind paying.
(edited 7 years ago)
Those are great results you should be proud of. You probably don't actually need to improve them but you are free to get them remarked if you want (although not the coursework - the school would have to have all the work remarked).

Personally, I wouldn't bother with the remarks unless you felt you did better in the paper than your mark suggests. The way remarks are handled this year has changed, making it less likely that marks will go up by a small number.

Hope this helps. Let me know what you decide to do.
If your parents wouldn't mind paying it, then I'd get a remark in history and either one or both of the geography. There is a chance you might go up a few marks, and little chance you will go down significantly, so I think it would be worth it. Good luck, and well done on your amazing results!
Reply 3
Original post by The Learn Ranger
Those are great results you should be proud of. You probably don't actually need to improve them but you are free to get them remarked if you want (although not the coursework - the school would have to have all the work remarked).

Personally, I wouldn't bother with the remarks unless you felt you did better in the paper than your mark suggests. The way remarks are handled this year has changed, making it less likely that marks will go up by a small number.

Hope this helps. Let me know what you decide to do.

Thanks! If the school did have all the coursework then would it be possible to remark it? All the coursework is saved onto google drive and also onto my geography teacher's memory stick but I don't know if she still has them. I also know last year 20% of remarks had a grade change which to me seems quite high but I do know that the remark changes have meant that more subjective papers are less likely to have a grade change.
Reply 4
Original post by Rocco123
If your parents wouldn't mind paying it, then I'd get a remark in history and either one or both of the geography. There is a chance you might go up a few marks, and little chance you will go down significantly, so I think it would be worth it. Good luck, and well done on your amazing results!

Thank you! It would also be noteworthy to point out that I may apply to universities like Oxford if my A Levels go as planned and I know that they put an emphasis on GCSEs so perhaps it would be a good idea to remark because of how close I am to a few extra A*s.
Original post by Samii123
Thanks! If the school did have all the coursework then would it be possible to remark it? All the coursework is saved onto google drive and also onto my geography teacher's memory stick but I don't know if she still has them. I also know last year 20% of remarks had a grade change which to me seems quite high but I do know that the remark changes have meant that more subjective papers are less likely to have a grade change.

It's nothing to do with where the coursework is - the school has to hang onto it for a specific time apart from the candidates who are requested by the exam board, so it will all be at your school. The exam boards don't allow coursework which has been internally marked and then moderated by the board to be remarked. If it is coursework which has been externally marked, the boards only allow the whole cohort to be remarked, and that has to be initiated by the school and have the agreement of all the candidates, because grades can go down as well as up. It doesn't happen very often, as you can imagine, for obvious reasons.

Quick Reply

Latest