The Student Room Group

birmingham law 2017 lower predictions

interested in applying to do law which asks for AAA, however should i apply with ABB predictions? I know a lot of people who have entered with AAB/ABB/ABC/BBB in previous years having done the LNAT. However since there is no more LNAT requirement, idk how lenient they will be this year.
Should i risk it?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by alevelstudent217
interested in applying to do law which asks for AAA, however should i apply with ABB predictions? I know a lot of people who have entered with AAB/ABB/ABC/BBB in previous years having done the LNAT. However since there is no more LNAT requirement, idk how lenient they will b.
Should i risk it?

Have you got your predictions from your school already for A2? What did you get in your AS (I'm assuming BCC because of the ABB prediction) and how were your GCSE's? Doing well in the LNAT will help tremendously and if people in the past have got in with BBB predictions (as you say?) then there is no harm in applying with ABB predictions.
I applied with ABB predictions, didn't do LNAT and got an offer (and currently studying) at Birmingham. Give it a shot, ace your personal statement, show clearly how passionate you are about law.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by bigwang
Have you got your predictions from your school already for A2? What did you get in your AS (I'm assuming BCC because of the ABB prediction) and how were your GCSE's? Doing well in the LNAT will help tremendously and if people in the past have got in with BBB predictions (as you say?) then there is no harm in applying with ABB predictions.

7 A's and 5 B's
Original post by AthiaKarim
I applied with ABB predictions, didn't do LNAT and got an offer (and currently studying) at Birmingham. Give it a shot, ace your personal statement, show clearly how passionate you are about law.

ah i have hope! thank you.
Reply 5
Be careful on them being lenient on grades, as although its well known how lenient Birmingham are for Law, it can be to your detriment if you have any aspirations to work for top city law firms. A fair few stipulate a certain A level grade requirement and some have filters, usually asking AAB. Getting in on ABB can put you at a disadvantage to those who met the AAA offer despite still both going to a Russell Group uni that the city firms do visit etc and recruit from.
Original post by ORW
Be careful on them being lenient on grades, as although its well known how lenient Birmingham are for Law, it can be to your detriment if you have any aspirations to work for top city law firms. A fair few stipulate a certain A level grade requirement and some have filters, usually asking AAB. Getting in on ABB can put you at a disadvantage to those who met the AAA offer despite still both going to a Russell Group uni that the city firms do visit etc and recruit from.

so law firms look at a level grades despite how good the uni u go to is??
I had BCC acheived A2 grades when I applied wih 25 on the LNAT and got an offer. Ended up at Sheffield though. If you get ABB you will deffo get in, maybe they have been more lenient this year due to expansion etc but when I got BBB they didn't let me in
Reply 8
Original post by alevelstudent217
so law firms look at a level grades despite how good the uni u go to is??

Yes they do, and those who do filter your grades do it because it is a very easy way to cut down the huge amount of applications they receive each year. Some even prescribe certain A level grades even for vacation schemes and workshops, not just training contract applications. The A level grade requirements are often things people never find out about in time. Firms consider your application on a whole, but the first step to cut down applicants is usually A level grades. However, if you have gone to a good Russell Group uni, you are likely to have the grades they want at minimum unless you get in on much lower. Birmingham do not do their reputation any good by just letting the flood gates open for their law course where they have a fair few grades below the AAA offer. Some people say that not many firms are now using a filter, but even if that is the case, the probably do have a certain grade combo that they consider worthy
(edited 7 years ago)
Hey,

My predicted grades are BBB but where I want to study Law the requirements are ABB, I'm really hoping I can reach the grades needed on results day next year!! However, I'm worried that the University won't give me an offer with predicted grades BBB??
Original post by Beckyyshields
Hey,

My predicted grades are BBB but where I want to study Law the requirements are ABB, I'm really hoping I can reach the grades needed on results day next year!! However, I'm worried that the University won't give me an offer with predicted grades BBB??

What uni if you dont mind me asking? well Bham asks for AAA and they told me they give out offers to BBB or equivalent. Liverpool is ABB and they also said they would make an offer to those who have lower but the offer made will still be ABB. Either way since BBB is only a grade lower, i wouldn't worry too much tbh. Make sure your personal statement is very good if you're still worried. Hope i helped xx
Thank you that's so reassuring! I'm hoping to go to Sheffield University, I am also on this Outreach Programme they run which means instead of AAA I will get a reduced offer of ABB! The other Universities I'm looking at are Liverpool, Leicester, Northumbria, Lincoln and Leeds

ah im applying to Leicester and Liverpool aswell. good luck!
Reply 12

Can you tell me the major things that stand out in a law persobal statement?
Original post by Hairdarr
Can you tell me the major things that stand out in a law persobal statement?

I would say overall what's the most important is your writing. It needs to be succinct, precise and you need to have a logical structure. Especially for a law personal statement.

Also, mention things in your statement that explains why you want to study law, mention how your other alevels would provide you skills that will help in a law degree!
Reply 14
What grades did you achieve and what universities did you apply to?
Thanks for the previous reply!
Original post by Hairdarr
What grades did you achieve and what universities did you apply to?
Thanks for the previous reply!

Hey! When I applied to unis I didn't do so great lol it's not even worth mentioning 😂 But still managed to obtain offers at bham and Aston. When I got my grades, I secured bham for law but also secured Warwick for law too (through clearing) if you need any help with your application just pm me!

Would you say Birmingham is good for Law? My predictions are BBB but I'm hoping I will get an offer if I apply then get the grades required next year :smile:
Would you say Birmingham is good for Law? My predictions are BBB but I'm hoping I will get an offer if I apply then get the grades required next year :smile:

Birmingham is great for law! I really enjoy my course and the lecturers are great! I actually love studying it more now than I thought I would when I applied in college haha
Birmingham is great for law! I really enjoy my course and the lecturers are great! I actually love studying it more now than I thought I would when I applied in college haha

I think I'll apply then, I've got the open day soon so I'll decide then! So far it's Sheffield, Leicester, Liverpool, Northumbria and either Newcastle or Birmingham! If you don't mind me asking what grades did you get for Birmingham uni, as I'm predicted B's but hoping I can get AAB (fingers crossed) :smile:
I think I'll apply then, I've got the open day soon so I'll decide then! So far it's Sheffield, Leicester, Liverpool, Northumbria and either Newcastle or Birmingham! If you don't mind me asking what grades did you get for Birmingham uni, as I'm predicted B's but hoping I can get AAB (fingers crossed) :smile:

Yaay! That's good consider it and if it helps or persuades you, the university is university of the year for employability 2016 haha!

And of course, I was predicted ABB and achieved A*AB! Just make sure your PS is really good! If it reads well, that will go in your advantage

Quick Reply