The Student Room Group

My school got 40% A*-C. Is that Bad?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shohaib712
Already have :colone:

Could this help me out in aplying to uni - I got a few good grades even though I went to a **** school?

They will definitely take it into consideration. :wink:
That is bad. You've done well if you've managed to do well in that school but I guess it only really depends on how hard you yourself work
Reply 22
Wtf my school is 100%
As already said I believe Oxford probably won't consider you, Cambridge *may* if you do amazing at AS/A Level and get good references etc. However, at other Russel groups (eg. Nottingham, Exeter and others, check their websites) they do this thing called a Contextual Offer. There is basically a list of schools and colleges with below average GCSE results where they *may* lower your university offer based on the fact that you did well in a situation that was very challenging. However, I *think* this only applies if you remain at your current school (rather than changing to a college, unless that college *also* is below average for GCSE results). I'm about to start applying for uni so you may want to check this with someone who has applied and gotten a contextual offer.
Yeah it's awful, like my school

Original post by ClydeJ
Wtf my school is 100%

Lol
Lol guys my high school only got 37%. That's worst than last year because my year group got 40 something %
My high school is so bad that they were on the bbc news last night 😂😂😂
The thing is, our school doesn't do sixth form anymore because of crap alevel grades as well. Lol I don't think I'll get into oxbridge it's too competitive. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
Original post by Dynamic_Vicz
Would love to hear your honest opinion. A*AABBBBBCCD good enough for Oxbridge or Warwick?

Depends what you apply for but if you get AAA at AS and do well on the subject test, you would have more than made up for it

Your school doing poorly and you getting above the average will help you in the application process

You are however just starting year 12, get to year 13 and ask again to get a clearer picture
(edited 7 years ago)
Lol, my school had 33% A*-C, thankfully got out of it with 5 A*s and 5 As:colondollar:
Very true! All the top students never relied on the teachers cuz they never bothered to help us - even though they're employed to. Typical teachers that hate their jobs :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Not_a_horse
Lol, my school had 33% A*-C, thankfully got out of it with 5 A*s and 5 As:colondollar:

You must have contributed to at least 30% of that statistic

Good lord, why are these schools still allowed to open?
Dreadful, my school is at 82%
Reply 34
My school did average ish- 55%
Reply 35
My school last year had 25% 5 A*-C lol no joke

Posted from TSR Mobile
There's a school in my area where only 22% of GCSE grades are A*-C
Original post by MHI
Depends what you apply for but if you get AAA at AS and do well on the subject test, you would have more than made up for it

Your school doing poorly and you getting above the average will help you in the application process

You are however just starting year 12, get to year 13 and ask again to get a clearer picture
Yeah my secondary school was poor. I'm going to year 13 in september and will be applying for maths courses. I got AACD at AS :frown:
Very true! All the top students never relied on the teachers cuz they never bothered to help us - even though they're employed to. Typical teachers that hate their jobs :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

What school do you go to?
Lol nope :wink: I got 1A*, 3A's, 5B's (Some of the B's were very close to an A :frown: )

I'm so happy that i'm leaving the school because all the english teachers were horrible *******, they were the kind that hated their jobs and wouldn't bother helping students if they asked for ways to improve. + They couldn't teach basic english nor mark coursework properly

Just absolutely hammer your A-levels and apply to Cambridge instead of Oxford

Quick Reply

Latest