The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by N-chicken
Hi!

They just seem so wordy!!!

English is the worst tho!!! Y is it closed book!!!!

It is wordier. Some questions are worded similar to A-level.

I fully agree with the comment about English. English should be a test of being able to analyse and compare, not memorise.
Reply 261
Original post by _gcx
It is wordier. Some questions are worded similar to A-level.

I fully agree with the comment about English. English should be a test of being able to analyse and compare, not memorise.

Exactly!!!! I would have gotten away with almost no revision but now its a memory test im gonna have to revise sooo much!!!!!!!
Original post by N-chicken
Exactly!!!! I would have gotten away with almost no revision but now its a memory test im gonna have to revise sooo much!!!!!!!

Luckily it's only quotes and general ideas, you don't have to know the whole thing! XD
To make it worse I'm useless at annotating poems and books by myself. I really hate english, the teachers are always like putting stuff in way too much detail and think that everything implies something even if its something really simple like 'the sky was blue' and i'm just like ok the sky's blue but they're like ok so this like represents life and death and sadness and **** like that, even when i'm sure the writer really didn't mean that.

sorry for the mini rant.
Original post by _b_e_n_
To make it worse I'm useless at annotating poems and books by myself. I really hate english, the teachers are always like putting stuff in way too much detail and think that everything implies something even if its something really simple like 'the sky was blue' and i'm just like ok the sky's blue but they're like ok so this like represents life and death and sadness and **** like that, even when i'm sure the writer really didn't mean that.

sorry for the mini rant.

Although, yes, a lot of the stuff you're looking into was likely unintended, it's something you just have to do. You get marks for looking into things deeper than a typical person would, pretty much! :P
Hello there, I'm studentun and my hobbies are reading.
I've already taken 4 gcses in aqa science (A), aqa spanish (A), edexcel history (A) and edexcel pscyhology (A*)
I'll be taking 6 gcses in year 11:
additional science, aqa
applied business, edexcel
re, edexcel
english language, wjec
english literature, wjec
maths, edexcel

I'm definitely not ready for year 11 i'm very scared and nervous about the year!
My favourite subjects are english and history :smile:

Just a question, i'm not very good at maths but would like to achieve a grade of either a 6 or 7. How would i go about revising for maths this year? In the mock at the end of year 10 i got a level 4 which is still a pass but nowhere near my target grade. Does anyone have any maths revision tips?
Original post by StudentUn
Just a question, i'm not very good at maths but would like to achieve a grade of either a 6 or 7. How would i go about revising for maths this year? In the mock at the end of year 10 i got a level 4 which is still a pass but nowhere near my target grade. Does anyone have any maths revision tips?

I bought a cgp maths revision guide, it explains all of the topics in detail and has past papers and practise questions, it did wonders for my maths grades. :smile:
I've already taken 4 gcses in aqa science (A), aqa spanish (A), edexcel history (A) and edexcel pscyhology (A*)
additional science, aqa
re, edexcel
english language, wjec
english literature, wjec
maths, edexcel

I'm definitely not ready for year 11 i'm very scared and nervous about the year!

Hi studentun!

Solid start with 3As and an A*! I'd start, in terms of Maths, with gap analysis, finding where you lost the marks, resulting in that Grade 4, and create a list. Address each of the topics on the list individually, looking up the method, possibly making notes, but definitely doing a lot of practice questions, either from past papers or from sets online. It makes the exam a lot easier. Your textbook should help with practice, too!
Reply 268
Hellooo, I'm akalya and my hobbies are playing piano, badminton and reading :hi:

I'm taking 11 GCSEs:

English Language (OCR)
English Literature (OCR)
Maths (Edexcel)
Biology (AQA)
Chemistry (AQA)
Physics (AQA)
RS (AQA)
French (Edexcel)
History (OCR)
Geography (Edexcel)
ICT (CIE)

School starts on 2nd September and I think I'm ready but I'm still dreading it.
I like pretty much all my subjects apart from English.
I would love to do Medicine in the future.

Good luck to everyone starting year 11 and let's have a great year!!
Original post by akalya
Hellooo, I'm akalya and my hobbies are playing piano, badminton and reading :hi:

I'm taking 11 GCSEs:

English Language (OCR)
English Literature (OCR)
Maths (Edexcel)
Biology (AQA)
Chemistry (AQA)
Physics (AQA)
RS (AQA)
French (Edexcel)
History (OCR)
Geography (Edexcel)
ICT (CIE)

School starts on 2nd September and I think I'm ready but I'm still dreading it.
I like pretty much all my subjects apart from English.
I would love to do Medicine in the future.

Good luck to everyone starting year 11 and let's have a great year!!

Welcome to the thread Akalya :wavey:
Why don't you like English? Is it both Literature or Language you do not like?

You'll find many students on this thread taking similar subjects/exam boards and who may also have similar aspirations to you so do feel free to PM any users. I'm sure they'll be glad to help you.
Original post by _b_e_n_
I bought a cgp maths revision guide, it explains all of the topics in detail and has past papers and practise questions, it did wonders for my maths grades. :smile:

What exam board do you do?
I do Edexcel.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 271
Original post by umar39
Welcome to the thread Akalya :wavey:
Why don't you like English? Is it both Literature or Language you do not like?

I just don't like that in English we seem to be over-analysing everything and the fact that we're doing the new GCSE makes it worse. I find that for me English is so much harder to improve on than e.g. Maths because it's so subjective. However, I do enjoy some aspects of it and I like literature more than language :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
additional science, aqa
re, edexcel
english language, wjec
english literature, wjec
maths, edexcel

For Maths use Mathswatch if your school have subscribed to it as it's brilliant. Hegartymaths and ukmathsteacher videos are also good although some of the ukmathsteacher ones can be too long. Remember past paper practice is essential in Maths so don't forget to do them. Best of luck.
Hey everyone :smile:
I'm Mahree, and I'm a September baby, with is neither a good thing nor a bad thing. I like to write, read, cook, run and a bunch of other things.

I'm taking 9 GCSEs (originally wanted to take 12, but I moved schools and their timetable only allowed for 9 subjects, could actually be a good thing)

I'm doing:

- English Language (WJEC)
- English Literature (WJEC)
- Maths (Edexcel)
- Biology (AQA)
- Chemistry (AQA)
- Physics (AQA)
- French (AQA)
- Geography (AQA)
- History (AQA)

I don't actually have a favourite subject, I just like learning, and if I'm learning I'm happy :smile: Chemistry is my favourite science, I prefer Language over Literature and I actually like doing French.
I think I'm ready for Year 11. All through last year, I built up revision materials and folders for this year and I've spent quite a bit of time of them. I just want Year 11 to be as stress free as possible. :cool: The new GCSEs though, I don't know. I'm predicted 8s in all 3 of them, but I feel like I'm at a dead end. I've gotten 7s all year for English Lit and Lang but I always seem to buckle on major exams, idk. Maths I'd never though I'd be worried about but I'm actually am. I've baseline a 6, and since Year 7 I've always been keen to get a A* (8) on this. The new exams seem so much harder and there's still so much to learn.:s-smilie:

I wish to persuse medicine and work in healthcare in the future and I'm a lot more excited to go to Uni, than to complete A-Levels.
additional science, aqa
re, edexcel
english language, wjec
english literature, wjec
maths, edexcel

Does your school use MyMaths? I found that MyMaths helps me a lot with revision because of it's lessons.
Original post by akalya
I just don't like that in English we seem to be over-analysing everything and the fact that we're doing the new GCSE makes it worse. I find that for me English is so much harder to improve on than e.g. Maths because it's so subjective. However, I do enjoy some aspects of it and I like literature more than language :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am also in a very similar situation in terms of English. I much prefer literature because it is more 'set in stone' if that makes sense. (No? ok!). I'm not particularity creative either so creating or re accounting stories is quite difficult for me. :s-smilie:
But, hey! That's why we're here isn't it? :colondollar: -To collaborate and work together so we can achieve great grades. Please feel free to PM with any questions. I'll be glad to help! :biggrin:
Original post by Mahree_Ah
Hey everyone :smile:
I'm Mahree, and I'm a September baby, with is neither a good thing nor a bad thing. I like to write, read, cook, run and a bunch of other things.

I'm taking 9 GCSEs (originally wanted to take 12, but I moved schools and their timetable only allowed for 9 subjects, could actually be a good thing)

I'm doing:

- English Language (WJEC)
- English Literature (WJEC)
- Maths (Edexcel)
- Biology (AQA)
- Chemistry (AQA)
- Physics (AQA)
- French (AQA)
- Geography (AQA)
- History (AQA)

I don't actually have a favourite subject, I just like learning, and if I'm learning I'm happy :smile: Chemistry is my favourite science, I prefer Language over Literature and I actually like doing French.
I think I'm ready for Year 11. All through last year, I built up revision materials and folders for this year and I've spent quite a bit of time of them. I just want Year 11 to be as stress free as possible. :cool: The new GCSEs though, I don't know. I'm predicted 8s in all 3 of them, but I feel like I'm at a dead end. I've gotten 7s all year for English Lit and Lang but I always seem to buckle on major exams, idk. Maths I'd never though I'd be worried about but I'm actually am. I've baseline a 6, and since Year 7 I've always been keen to get a A* (8) on this. The new exams seem so much harder and there's still so much to learn.:s-smilie:

I wish to persuse medicine and work in healthcare in the future and I'm a lot more excited to go to Uni, than to complete A-Levels.

Welcome to the Current year 11 thread! :smile:
You certainly seem like an enthusiastic pupil. I can't believe I've found another person with WJEC for English :h:. How are you finding the specification? I'm personally finding it quite demanding especially as I find English quite challenging (although I enjoy the challenge!).

Be sure to drop me a PM if you ever need to discuss English or any other subject for that matter! :biggrin:
Well...
(edited 7 years ago)
Hello everyone, I'd just like to introduce myself. I'm Cerian and I'm 15-years-old. I enjoy reading, using the internet and horse-riding, as well as being lazy as it's what I'm best at!

I study 8 GCSEs:

1) English Language (WJEC).
2) English Literature (WJEC).
3) Mathematics (WJEC).
4) Additional Science (AQA).
5) Welsh Second Language (WJEC).
6) Geography (WJEC).
7) I.C.T (WJEC).
8) History (WJEC).

I'm also forced to endure Welsh Bacc as I'm from Wales. It was introduced to Key Stages 3 & 4 in September 2015, and it's a terrible subject. I hate it. :frown:

I guess I'm ready for Year 11. I was a bit lazy in Year 10, I must admit; however, I'm now prepared to knuckle down and work hard in the upcoming year. As long as I get at least A and B grades in all my subjects, I'll be happy. :smile:

My favourite subject at the moment is I.C.T, simply because I appear to be good at it. My grade for Year 10 was an A which I'm over the moon about! I also enjoy the Science subjects. I used to like English, but now I find it boring at GCSE level.

Lastly, my dream career is to be a forensic pathologist. I aspire to go to sixth form, get some A Levels and study Medicine at university; you have to study Medicine before you can be a pathologist, as far as I know. Anyway, it's nice to meet you all!
Original post by Oluwafemi.muyiwa
u man r nerds not gonna lie

Tbh I am still

Latest