The Student Room Group

The Current Year 13 Thread 2016-2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SampleX
Guys, I have dilemma. I've always wanted to study French and Spanish at Edinburgh, I'm just so in love with the city and the vibe. But, my dream course of Modern Languages (French, Spanish and Russian) is at Warwick. I'm really torn between the two, does anyone have any advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile

personally, i think i'd go for where you feel the best; so if thats the city then i'd go for Edinburgh, at the end of the day you're going to be living there for the next 3 years so you have to feel at home right?
Original post by Gogregg
Great British Bake Off is back tomorrow! :woo::woohoo::woo:

I love that show : )
Original post by SampleX
Guys, I have dilemma. I've always wanted to study French and Spanish at Edinburgh, I'm just so in love with the city and the vibe. But, my dream course of Modern Languages (French, Spanish and Russian) is at Warwick. I'm really torn between the two, does anyone have any advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Edinburgh is nicer...
And at Warwick, it is only one extra language, in a department they aren't exactly renown for, meanwhile Edinburgh has an amazing reputation, and if you love it there, it feels like the obvious choice to me :smile:
That is just my opinion, though, go where you want to go, where you think is best for you. Do you like Warwick?

Original post by Aloudgirl24
I love that show : )

Same! But I'm missing this episode because I'm working, and I think Wednesdays may be my regular shift, so I might always have to watch it on catch-up :frown:
I need to write my EPQ but I'm really losing interest in the chosen topic. Ever since I picked the topic I was so excited to start and then I found out it was heavily research based... I lost interest :frown:

I hope the school lets me drop it because I don't think my essay will be of a good quality because of this - not to mention my production log isn't detailed due to my lack of interest in the topic. I've tried so hard to get on with it but it's just not working out. If they don't let me drop it I wouldn't have done the essay so I'm in such a huge dilema right now!
Original post by Muttski
I need to write my EPQ but I'm really losing interest in the chosen topic. Ever since I picked the topic I was so excited to start and then I found out it was heavily research based... I lost interest :frown:

I hope the school lets me drop it because I don't think my essay will be of a good quality because of this - not to mention my production log isn't detailed due to my lack of interest in the topic. I've tried so hard to get on with it but it's just not working out. If they don't let me drop it I wouldn't have done the essay so I'm in such a huge dilema right now!

I know exactly how you feel! How do you actually fill out the production log though? The EPQ supervisor at my sixth form hasn't given us any other tasks to do except write the essay over summer and it's really annoying me because the level of organisation is piss poor!
Original post by Gogregg
Edinburgh is nicer...
And at Warwick, it is only one extra language, in a department they aren't exactly renown for, meanwhile Edinburgh has an amazing reputation, and if you love it there, it feels like the obvious choice to me :smile:
That is just my opinion, though, go where you want to go, where you think is best for you. Do you like Warwick?

Same! But I'm missing this episode because I'm working, and I think Wednesdays may be my regular shift, so I might always have to watch it on catch-up :frown:

I do like Warwick, and I'm really set on the idea of studying three languages, especially Russian, but I don't like it half as much as I do Edinburgh...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GeorgeB16
I know exactly how you feel! How do you actually fill out the production log though? The EPQ supervisor at my sixth form hasn't given us any other tasks to do except write the essay over summer and it's really annoying me because the level of organisation is piss poor!

Just get the production log from the AQA website if you haven't all ready and just fill it in as you go. You're supposed to show progression but my production log shows me just getting bored halfway through and wanting to give up.. here's an extract:

"After realising that this topic is clearly not a great interest I have decided to cut down a few sections. I will no longer be discussing Roman law".

I want to drop it so badly. I don't even know if I can reach 5000 words...
Original post by Muttski
Just get the production log from the AQA website if you haven't all ready and just fill it in as you go. You're supposed to show progression but my production log shows me just getting bored halfway through and wanting to give up.. here's an extract:

"After realising that this topic is clearly not a great interest I have decided to cut down a few sections. I will no longer be discussing Roman law".

I want to drop it so badly. I don't even know if I can reach 5000 words...

Oh my that's so bad! :O I'll have a look on the AQA website for it and fill it out. If my supervisor doesn't like it she can shove it and I'll say pick the bones out of that one! Mine is on restorative justice and it's effect on reoffending rates but I've hardly spoke about reoffending, most of it is advantages and disadvantages. I'm having the word count problem, I doubt I'll reach the limit but hopefully it's quality and not quantity like most other essay subjects! Why don't you change your question/topic?
Oh my that's so bad! :O I'll have a look on the AQA website for it and fill it out. If my supervisor doesn't like it she can shove it and I'll say pick the bones out of that one! Mine is on restorative justice and it's effect on reoffending rates but I've hardly spoke about reoffending, most of it is advantages and disadvantages. I'm having the word count problem, I doubt I'll reach the limit but hopefully it's quality and not quantity like most other essay subjects! Why don't you change your question/topic?

It's too late to change it. It's due first day back and we're submitting it in October I believe - so that way we have a month to do a presentation (I'm not a confident speaker and end up getting severe anxiety yet I'm still being made to do this).

I guess I'll write half of it and say I lost interest in the topic and then ask to drop it.
Original post by Muttski
It's too late to change it. It's due first day back and we're submitting it in October I believe - so that way we have a month to do a presentation (I'm not a confident speaker and end up getting severe anxiety yet I'm still being made to do this).

I guess I'll write half of it and say I lost interest in the topic and then ask to drop it.

That sounds so *****y of your supervisor. Can't you ask to do the June entry instead then you'll have more time?
Original post by Dnkz7
Aren't we technically in year 13, seeing as last year has already finished?

ANYWAY...

Have people visited the uni's they would like to go to yet?
How are your personal statements getting along?
What subjects are you currently studying and, what do you hope to study at uni (give the 5 uni's you want to go to)

a) I've visited LSE and Surrey however I've had a recent change of mind and I'm instead thinking about going to Warwick although I think I may still apply to Surrey.
b) And ahh I'm so happy that I recently finished the first draft of my personal statement so now I can focus on other things :biggrin:
c) I'm currently studying English Lang & Lit, Sociology and Philosophy (& I'm dropping History at AS!). I want to study Law & Sociology and I'll be applying to Warwick, Edinburgh, Surrey, Sheffield and Liverpool.
That sounds so *****y of your supervisor. Can't you ask to do the June entry instead then you'll have more time?

I don't want to continue with it full stop.
Original post by Muttski
I don't want to continue with it full stop.

You will be able to drop it. They can't force you to keep it. Even if you have to just forget about it and get a U at the end of it. I know people who dropped out of the May exams this year in April so don't let the sixth form force you to carry it on :P
Urgh
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Gogregg

Urgh, thats annoying. Personally I watch everything on catch up tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gogregg
Great British Bake Off is back tomorrow! :woo::woohoo::woo:

Hahaha I don't get the Bake off hype, though to be fair never watched it so 😂
Heyheyhey

Had to reword my ps since my teacher said it, apparently, didn't sound like me and that I could do better :s-smilie:

Also, my school set us an internal deadline of September 5 to sort out Oxbridge applications on UCAS, so I'm all sorts of busy atm ahhhhhh....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LeFeuilly
Heyheyhey

Had to reword my ps since my teacher said it, apparently, didn't sound like me and that I could do better :s-smilie:

Also, my school set us an internal deadline of September 5 to sort out Oxbridge applications on UCAS, so I'm all sorts of busy atm ahhhhhh....

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's unlucky, our school's Oxbridge deadline is Sep 22nd :biggrin:
HeyheyheyHad to reword my ps since my teacher said it, apparently, didn't sound like me and that I could do better Also, my school set us an internal deadline of September 5 to sort out Oxbridge applications on UCAS, so I'm all sorts of busy atm ahhhhhh....Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by matt.thorne10
That's unlucky, our school's Oxbridge deadline is Sep 22nd :biggrin:

Our internal Oxbridge deadline isn't 'til 7th October even, although I'm personally aiming to have it in quite a bit before then. Mid-late September seems reasonable for me?

September 5th is very soon though, good luck getting all that done!
Heyheyhey

Posted from TSR Mobile

Welcome to Year 13. It was worse than my first year of Uni. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest