The Student Room Group

Transfer uni or stay at current one

I'm looking for a bit of advice please :smile: I'm currently studying aerospace engineering /w pilot studies at Uni of Sheffield, but intended to transfer to Uni of Liverpool to study the same course in year 2. Unfortunately I found out today that I can't transfer into year 2, so if I was to transfer uni I would have to start at year 1 again. I'm very unsure about what to do; I'd love to transfer to be closer to home (that was originally my main reason), but it would also allow me to fly more which would help towards my goal of becoming a pilot, and would allow me to join the Liverpool University Air Squadron. The downside is the cost of doing another year (as well as extra flying costs, but not that much of an issue), and unfamiliarity with the Uni (not too much of an issue, but it would take me a bit of time to work out where everything is and the ins and outs of how the course runs)

Should I bite the bullet and try and finish my 2 years at Sheffield, or should I start year one again at Liverpool? I know it's a decision I should make myself but it's been very tough because both have positives and negatives

Thanks for any help!
Reply 1
Original post by dannyoboy007
I'm looking for a bit of advice please :smile: I'm currently studying aerospace engineering /w pilot studies at Uni of Sheffield, but intended to transfer to Uni of Liverpool to study the same course in year 2. Unfortunately I found out today that I can't transfer into year 2, so if I was to transfer uni I would have to start at year 1 again. I'm very unsure about what to do; I'd love to transfer to be closer to home (that was originally my main reason), but it would also allow me to fly more which would help towards my goal of becoming a pilot, and would allow me to join the Liverpool University Air Squadron. The downside is the cost of doing another year (as well as extra flying costs, but not that much of an issue), and unfamiliarity with the Uni (not too much of an issue, but it would take me a bit of time to work out where everything is and the ins and outs of how the course runs)

Should I bite the bullet and try and finish my 2 years at Sheffield, or should I start year one again at Liverpool? I know it's a decision I should make myself but it's been very tough because both have positives and negatives

Thanks for any help!

You're in a slightly different position to most undergrads, as flying hours are critical to you if you wish to become a pilot. On the face of it, if Liverpool offers an opportunity for more hours in the air, that would seem to be the logical choice despite the additional student debt.
Thanks for the reply :smile: Sheffield do offer flying, but it's only 5 hours as opposed to the 20 at Liverpool, plus I would be able to do the UAS. I'm just not sure if this is worth setting back a year for, since I could always use some of my own money or the money that would be going towards another year of tuition fees towards flying lessons. So I'm not sure if it's worth just sticking out the 2 years and then pursuing it, or pursue it more now but sit through a years worth of lectures that I've already been through
Reply 3
Original post by dannyoboy007
I could always use some of my own money or the money that would be going towards another year of tuition fees towards flying lessons.

If you're paying your own tuition fees, that sounds logical. Any spare money can go on flying time if you have enough. However if you're using the SF Tuition Fee Loan, that money isn't coming out of your pocket. Until repayment terms kick in, it's theoretical money and it doesn't make sense to spend your money on fees instead of flying. The degree is just a way of becoming a pilot. Don't spend money on the degree, that you can spend on reaching your ultimate goal.

So I'm not sure if it's worth just sticking out the 2 years and then pursuing it, or pursue it more now but sit through a years worth of lectures that I've already through

For Liverpool not to accept you into their second year, their first year content must be significantly different, either in content, delivery, assessment or a combination of those factors. You shouldn't assume that you will literally be repeating the year you've just done. It's very unlikely to be that simple.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending